Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CAHA
Topic Author

iMAC

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:38 am

Am having difficulty getting Firefly to play

Have just bought an iMAC and have tried to follow instructions and checked FAQ's and everything but I still get the same message at the same stage:

Unable to get server status

An unexpected error occurred when trying to get the status of the Firefly server. Please close and re-open this Preference pane, and try again.

I have shortened the shared name to just Firefly.

Help please - it is driving me scatty...!

Further to the above forgot to mention that a log file has not been generated

andyg

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:02 am

Hi CAHA,

welcome to the forums. I vaguely recall similar error messages many moons ago, but I'm sure we'll see you right.

You don't say which version of Firefly you have installed. Permit me to suggest that you go grab the 'nightly' version 1586 from

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org/version.php?version=svn-1586

which is 18 months old now & very stable, in spite of it being a 'nightly' release. It contains huge improvements over earlier versions and the official release available via Roku.

Be sure to run the stop & uninstall scripts before reinstalling and you can physically check that you have trashed everything by checking for the Preference Pane in System Prefs, and also confirming that there is no Firefly folder/files in /yourusername/Library/Application Support.

Empty the trash then double click the Preference Pane icon to install 1586. As you have previously done, shorten the name, point Firefly to the /iTunes/ folder (no further than that) and hit the start button. As you may have read Firefly for Mac often hangs on initial startup so let it run a while then stop & restart the server. It should then show up as a shared server in iTunes and of course on your Roku device.

Holler if you need more help.
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

CAHA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:13 am

Brilliant - thank you.

One slight problem I now have two Firefly's in my shared folder in iTunes. One is one of the earlier ones that is called Firefly Media Server etc whilst the other one is the abbreviated one which I just called Firefly.

Am off downstairs to see if I can pick it up on my SoundBridge now but thanks once again for your help

Just thought one of them might be being generated by my pc which I still have running. I will now delete it from there

CAHA
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:24 am

Please forget nearly everything I said in my last post - have removed the program from my pc and it has disappeared from iTunes. System working perfectly. Thank you very much again for your help- brilliant