Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bruco1963@libero.it
Topic Author

Firefly and Windows Vista

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm

I've just reconfigured my home network which is now configured as below:
- DESKTOP: HP Pavillon 6134; OS Windows Vista SP1 (Ethernet connected to the router)
- ROUTER: SpeedTouch ST585v6
- ROKU Soundbridge Audio Player (WLAN connection)
- ROKU Soundbridge Radio Player (WLAN connection)
- LACIE Ethernet Disk mini Home Edition; HipServer Agent v.1.0.2.24 (connected to the router via LAN).
FireFly server is installed on the DESKTOP (it seems to run with no problems; port 9999 is allowed on the firewall. Bonjour is also installed and included in the exception list of the firewall

Soundbridge(s) can see the Vista Desktop and Lacie HIPServer , but it cannot find the firefly server.
I need to run firefly because most of my music file are stored in FLAC format....
Any suggestion???
Warm regards
Corrado

jjaf

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:30 am

Soundbridge(s) can see the Vista Desktop and Lacie HIPServer

Not sure what you mean by this, did you mean Vista can see the Soundbridge?

Your problem may be because the Firefly server is wired and the SBs are wireless. Search the ROKU forums for router problems with multicast/igmp, you may need to change a setting on your router. Or it could be that the Speedtouch doesn't support the protocols over the wired/wireless bridge. Can you set up your desktop for WLAN to prove the point?

Bruco1963@libero.it
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

Thank you JJaf,
I mean that Soundbridge can properly connect the Desktop, which is actually wired to the router. Soundbridge can also play WMA files stored in \\DESKTOP_VISTA\Users\Public\Music folder.
I think that musticast problem can be excluded (but I'm not sure about this).

To be honest, I've changed my network configuration few days ago....
Before the Desktop was WLAN connected, and SB was able to connect Firefly server...
However I would like to keep the desktop wired connected to the router....
Thanks.
C

jjaf

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:28 pm

The Soundbridge is not playing the music files from the folder, it is using the Windows Media Player library service. WMP is sending (serving) the music to the SB as a stream of data. This may sound like a trivial distinction to the way you described your setup but it could help you solve your problem if you understand how media players work.

Now, the fact that you can continue to do this using LAN with WMP, but not Firefly, has stumped me. It does not matter to Firefly how the devices are connected. Are you sure that all you changed on the desktop was the network connection from WLAN to LAN?
Check that the Bonjour service is still running on Vista.

Hopefully other forum members may be able to offer other solutions.

Bruco1963@libero.it
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:51 am

I've made some tests today.
I confirm thar the only change I've made was to connect the Desktot to the router via LAN, removing the WLAN card from it. No other changes in Vista.

I've reinstalled Bonjour which is working.

I confirm that with the wired connection SB can receive music from Desktop via WMP.

Today I've connected a USB WLAN stick to the Desktop, and magically SB properly detected Firefly server.

At This point I suspect that Vista, or its firewall, is preventing for some reason SB to connect Firefly....
Im I wrong....?
Thanks
C

jjaf

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm

On Vista compare your lan and wlan network configurations. On mine they are almost identical, the difference being that I have disabled the IPV6 item on wlan. I cannot remember why I did this but it would have had a purpose. List your network items here if you want me to check against my list.

As I stated in my original response, some routers do behave differently between wired and wireless connections. Did you check yours for all possible switches for multicast/igmp. I have copied this list from another post:
Check the router settings for something like:
RokuLyndon wrote:
-UPNP - enable
-Multicast or IGMP - enable
-Filter Multicast - disable
-WMM - disable
-AP Isolation - disable

If you state your router model here someone may know the solution. Also state whether you use static IP or DHCP for the SB. Static IP gives you a more stable connection (with my router anyway).

Finally, also check your network settings on the SB and list them here for clues, from the SB configuration menu or the device webpage (also copied from another post):
c) IP address,
d) Address Source
e) Netmask
f) Gateway
g) DNS 1
h) DNS 2