Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

greavsie
Topic Author

Windows 7 issue - needing to restart service

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Been running Firefly media server with a Roku Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001 connected via wireless network perfectly happily for a couple of years until I upgraded to Windows 7 (from Vista). Now this is a major step forward in all respects but this one - having issues with Firefly.

Start PC up - Soundbridge shows "connect to Firefly" as usual. Try to connect - Soundbridge shows "Connected" very briefly" and then "music library shutdown" (or something like that).

Restarting the firefly media server service from services.msc always sorts it out, although sometimes I have to restart it twice. Never had to do this on Vista - always connected first time. Any ideas how to fix it so it works on Windows 7 without having to manually restart the service?

amdb7

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:04 am

Have you tried running Firefly in Windows 7's XP Compatibility Mode?

Here's a snippet from a site called iYogi:

Run any application from older versions of Windows by using Compatibility Mode in Windows 7.

Problem: We are often caught under a situation when our previous version of program doesn’t suit the new operating system.

Solution: To overcome the issue, use Windows 7 Compatibility Mode as follows:

Step 1. Open the program by making a right click on the program’s shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.
Step 2. Open the properties window.
Step 3. There are different tabs. Select “Compatibility.â€

greavsie
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:50 am

I tried that, and tried doing the same with the Bonjour service too (to be precise, I set the executables which launch the background service to run in compatibility mode) - but no luck. I still get the "connected" message briefly, followed by "music library shut down". It's doing my head in (and I'm listening to a lot of internet radio as a result instead!).

Now trying this: http://www.sdstechnologies.com/ instead - seems to do the job but appears to have to scan the library every time you browse by artist etc. - which takes some time. Firefly either didn't do this or did it so quickly it didn't show up. Ah well.

dupondt

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 am

greavsie,

a very belated welcome to the forums.

I have tested Firefly on several installations of Windows 7 and never experienced any issues, so there must be something wrong in your setup which causes the problem.

Please post the following information here:

a) the version of Windows 7 you're running;
b) the version of Firefly you're using;
c) the firmware version of your SoundBridge;
d) the make and model of your router.

Also please remove the "compatibility mode" setting from all Firefly and Bonjour executables, as I don't think that services can be run in compatiblity mode.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

greavsie
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:10 am

Hi dupont.

Many thanks for the reply :)

I'm using;
- Windows 7 Professional
- Router is Netgear DG834PN
- Soundbridge is on version 3.0.44

BUT

- I was using Firefly 1.0 svn-1359 (the most recent version at http://soundbridge.roku.com/support/dwnld_firefly.php) but a couple of hours ago I stumbled across 1.0 svn-1696 linked from a forum post in here. Since upgrading things seem to work more reliably so I may have found the answer hopefully!

So now I've found -1696 I think I should see how that goes as it might be the answer. If so, apologies for taking up your time with something with such a simple answer - if only the version on Roku.com was updated :( If it continues to work fine I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thank you for your help

Greavsie

PS I've also undone the compatibility stuff as I also wondered if that made any difference to services.

dupondt

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 am

Hi greavsie,

I was using Firefly 1.0 svn-1359

That was exactly what I had suspected. 1359 is very old. I tested with 1696 and Firefly ran flawlessly, so I'm quite sure your issues will be gone.

if only the version on Roku.com was updated

Don't expect Roku to update anything related to the SoundBridge - video killed the radio star :evil:

Greetings and happy listening!
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

greavsie
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:36 am

I may have spoken too soon...

Firefly just stopped working at the end of a song - with a popup in the PC system tray saying "Cannot unlock sqlite3 lock: wrong function".

This is different behaviour to before in two ways:

- previously the Soundbridge failed to connect to the music library at all with the "Music library shut down" message on SB display - this time it connected OK and played for a while but then gave up at the end of a song (with the same "Music library shut down" message)

- previously when the Soundbridge said "music library shut down" the PC still showed the Firefly service as running (and system tray icon orange) - this time the service has stopped (and icon red). So now I just need to start the service instead of restarting it :)

- OK three ways - there were no error messages on the PC before

I'm thinking I should stick with it for now - I've only just upgraded to -1696 so it may just be a random glitch. Will post updates...

Thanks again for the interest and help

Greavsie

amdb7

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:42 am

I've been running Firefly on and off for a couple of years. It can load 20,000+_songs to a SoundBridge faster than anything else I've seen.
When I was checking it out, I recall testing version svn-1696 and having some issues. Firefly's site still says that the most stable nightly version is svn-1586. I went with that and it has been mostly trouble-free.

I might suggest trying the 1586 version and see how it works for you.
Also, you can turn on a higher level of logging so that you can see what's going on, by putting, say, debuglevel = 5 into your mt-daapd.conf file.

There is also a database type parameter that you can specify that will cause it to use an sqlite db instead of sqlite3. In fact, the mt-daapd.conf file comments say that sqlite seems to be more stable.

Here's the link to the nightlies including svn-1586.

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org/

bnorrish

Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:22 pm

On Windows 7 svn-1596 was not stable for me. Service would not stay running. Upgraded to svn-1696 and it seems to be running well so far.

rotomassmith

Re: Windows 7 issue - needing to restart service

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:50 pm

You can try this method:
1 Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
2 Select Administrative Tools and then click Control Panel
3 Open the Administrative Tools Services.
4 Select the service and then click Restart in the left column of the main window Services window.
5 Assistance? Make your computer now demand. Explore other six guides: Guides • The management and maintenance services •. This way, you can monitor your success