Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

angryblackman
Topic Author

Firefly Add-on with the DNS 323

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Help is anyone using thier ROKU with a DNS 323 and a 40,000+ library.

My Roku 1001 does not see my Firefly server that is running on my DNS 323 (running FW 1.08 & the Firefly Add-on replacement for the the built in MT-DAAP)

I have no luck what so ever getting the Roku to see it at all.

I'll try and anticipate all of the troubleshooting questions.
    -Roku is running 3.0.52, is assigned a static IP
    -Router is Dlink DIR-655
    -Running a Mixed b/g Wireless Network WPA2-AES
    -Roku accesses the Wireless Network fine - Internet Radio, UPnP (when I turn that on my NAS)
    -All other devices on my internal network sees the DNS 323's Firefly server fine
    -Before the Firefly Add-On install, the Roku would see the Dns 323's internal MT-DAAP (but couldn't load my entire library, which limited it's usefulness)

any thoughts?

angryblackman
Topic Author

Re: Firefly Add-on with the DNS 323

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Yeah, good suggestion
I was thinking about doing that next, and yeah it works fine wired.

but I don't think it's strictly a wireless issue, because I could access the built-in DAAP before the firefly add-in, and oddly enough I installed a Firefly server on my iPhone and my ROKU does see that fine over the wireless network.

also I have a open guest zone which I've tried connect to and it still doesn't see the NAS media server.

hmmm ... I'm going to search on my dlink router with the ROKU and see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestion.

angryblackman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:42 am

Thanks so much bregent, I had a look at that thread and it's quite old, they are talking about FW 1.22 beta which I can't find anymore and I recently upgraded to FW 1.33.
Still having the same problems.

I'm kinda giving up, short of hearing definitely from someone that has a dlink router that is able to connect to their Roku wirelessly, like I said I have no problems when connected via ethernet, so I had an old ioGear powerline adapter lying around which I wasn't using so I'm using that to connect to my Roku via ethernet in my living room and that's working fine.
So thanks again.

bregent wrote:
Connecting the SB to Firefly via wireless 655 router is a common problem. Try searching these forums for 655 to see some posts. You can start here:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=16201

Check your router multi cast settings, firmware version, etc.

jjaf

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:36 am

the Firefly Add-on replacement for the the built in MT-DAAP

Are you aware that MT-DAAP is Firefly? If it was working why install another version, the version supplied with your NAS might have been specially configured. Your initial problem of accessing 40,000 titles is nothing to do with MT-DAAP/Firefly, you have exceeded the number of entries the Soundbridge can load.

There is another current thread from a user with the same problem, read viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26564
R1000, M400, M1001

angryblackman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:09 pm

As I understand Firefly is a new version of the MT-DAAP, which is more efficient at handling the db.

Firefly is able to serve 40,000+ to the Roku just fine.

When I am connected via ethernet, I am able to browse and search fine.
my issue was with seeing my Roku over my wireless network.

Thanks tho.

the last entry in that thread seems to indicate that Roku is able to browse 83,000 files.
Re: SB can't download data

New postby Hammerman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am
Okay I know I sound like an idiot....and I probably am....but I poked and prodded the FF interface on WHS and guess what....I have no idea what I did but I got it working.......yes!!!

I think I just had to get it to scan....so all seems good for now...it seems all the albums, some 83,000 songs came up....so we're good to go....thanks for the suggestions to config FF....but I still have no idea how I got it to work LOL

jjaf

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 pm

the last entry in that thread seems to indicate that Roku is able to browse 83,000 files.

No, that post is saying Firefly has scanned 83000 titles. How the Roku behaves depends on which library browse options are taken; it will attempt to load the full browse or search list for the chosen category. It may manage with the albums and artists, but not the full title list.

Try running Bonjour on a PC to get your Firefly/MT-DAAP server recognized by the Soundbridge. I had to do this with my old DLink router, I still cannot figure out why.
R1000, M400, M1001