Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Chaos Theory
Topic Author

Firefly in iTunes with RipNAS

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:16 am

I've just had a RipNAS installed on my network with a Linn Klimax DS. On every Mac computer in the house (no Windows PC's - sorry!), I can see the RipNAS in iTunes (without having to install anything at all on the Mac) but when I click on that shared library, I can't see all of the music on the RipNAS. A lot of stuff is missing. However, if I look at the RipNAS through the 'Songbook' app on my iPhone, I can see every single track.

Can anyone explain why Songbook is seeing everything but iTunes is only seeing some of the music files? All music files were converted and moved from a Linn Kivor to the RipNAS in .flac format.

I have tried to install Firefly in the System Preferences window but it won't activate properly for some reason. It keeps saying 'Firefly status is unknown' and tells me to quit the System Preferences pane and reopen it. I do that but nothing happens. It sometimes gives me a message to send an error report to Apple.

Thanks in advance.

andyg

Re: Firefly in iTunes with RipNAS

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 am

Can anyone explain why Songbook is seeing everything but iTunes is only seeing some of the music files? All music files were converted and moved from a Linn Kivor to the RipNAS in .flac format.

iTunes can't handle .flac files which is why they're not showing. Songbird can.

I have tried to install Firefly in the System Preferences window but it won't activate properly for some reason. It keeps saying 'Firefly status is unknown' and tells me to quit the System Preferences pane and reopen it. I do that but nothing happens.

If you're on Snow Leopard then maybe there's an issue but Firefly works well on OS X 10.5 Sounds like your install got corrupt so run the installer again and make sure you run the two scripts to quit firefly and uninstall before reinstalling the preference pane. You should be running either svn1586 or svn1696. http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org/

Couple of things to bear in mind - Firefly often has an issue with the self-assigned name - you should change it to something relatively short like 'Firefly on Mac'. And, sometimes Firefly hangs on the first scan. Give it a few minutes then stop and restart the server. It should then start properly. (These are Mac-specific bugs AFAIK)

Assuming all of that goes off ok, you can then access the Firefly server page via Bonjour. Open up the configuration page and add .flac in file types and save that change. The advanced configuration link gives you more options particularly wrt playlists.

Cheers, Andy
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

Chaos Theory
Topic Author

Re: Firefly in iTunes with RipNAS

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 am

Hello and thanks for your response

When I right click the files in iTunes and select 'get info', it says they are WAV files. But when I look at the same tracks in remote desktop connection to the RipNAs, the same songs say .flac

I did uninstall Firefly as per the download so I'll give that another go later on today.

Cheers