Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Hammerman
Topic Author

firefly and WHS....still having issues

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 am

Either I have the world's flakiest Windows Home Server set up or there's something missing in my configuration.

I have had my Soundbridge for four years or more. It worked great on my PC and worked even better when I added a WHS a couple of years ago.
Then I got really fancy and dumped 500 gigs of tunes onto the server. Yikes. Things went south but fast.
I looked around for solutions and found that dumping Windows Connector and replacing it with firefly was the best way to go.

I seemed to get it running okay but it comes and goes. Some days it still either can't connect or when it does can't download the play lists. Then when on the days it does download the playlists not everything is there.
I have three folders. lets say a b and c

So far it looks like only C is getting listed through I have specified the entire music folder on the server.....do I have to list each one separately and if so how do I do that through the browse function since it only seems to let me do one location.

Also, once in a while my Windows Playlists pop up and I can play them...but most of the time they don't show up.

I have uninstalled WHS Console. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Network Magic. And ZoneLabsAV........

ALso, I can't even access the music on my PC....I moved almost all thefiles to the server but the PC has a few files and I can't even see them through the Roku.

According to my Network Magic map, both the Roku and the Server are on the network.

and I can access the server from my PC though I was having issues which were eventually tracked to a corrupt .Net file. I'm guessing that I would need to specific multiple locations ....so again how do it do that??

this random access makes it seem like the SB has a mind of its own.

Any suggestions?????

jjaf

Re: firefly and WHS....still having issues

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Hammerman

Lets start with your folder structure. Whatever a, b, c are, they need to have a common root folder and that is the one you need to enter in the Firefly configuration. For example:

c:\music\music_a
c:\music\music_b
c:\music\music_c

You would enter c:\music as your music folder.

Also note there is a memory limit on how many items the Soundbridge can show in a browse or search list. It is around 18000-25000 items depending on their display length. If you browse by song title you certainly won't see all 83000 items.

You should check the Firefly log to see if it is throwing any errors. Look at the configuration screen to see where it is located. You may have to increase the debug level up to 9 to get the full information.
R1000, M400, M1001

Hammerman
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for the help!!

\\Myserver\Music

is the path I have now....what is entered in the firefly

Within that folder there are three folders

\\Myserver\Music\one
\\Myserver\Music\two
\\Myserver\Music\three

how do I enter those into the firefly config...do I separate by comma, semi colon, slash or what????????

I tried "add" but I keep getting an error message 500general MP3:dir

Even when it looks like it saves......when i go back to it...its reverted to the single path....but I still can't access those tunes??

jjaf

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:27 am

\\Myserver\Music is the only path you enter, Firefly will recursively scan the folders from there.

I suspect that the scan is failing at a particular track which is why you are not getting the full list shown. Try another Full Scan in Firefly. If that does not work then you will have to look at the Firefly log file as I previously suggested; that will reveal the point of failure.
R1000, M400, M1001