Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Hammerman
Topic Author

Challenge: A simple instruction guide!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:59 am

Okay you high level programmers and super geeks.

Instead of swapping code and talking in tongues....here's a simple challenge.

Create and post in the FAQs a simple, easy to follow, step by step guide to setting up Firefly on WHS for SoundBridge.

I mean so easy my arts major daughter whose concept of computing is facebook and hotmail could follow it.

'Cuz for all it's wonders.....I still can't get FF to "see" more than one third of my music collection even though it all resides in the same folder. Strange eh?

(BTW for those who read but didn't reply to a previous post...I figured out the issue with WHS and stability....a corrupt .NET file....'xcept I still am missing two thirds or my tunes - including the original collection which worked fine for two years.)

Anyone want to accept the challenge? Pick up the gauntlet?

Or is simple, basic, consumer friendly interface too low class?

Hammerman
Topic Author

Re: Challenge: A simple instruction guide!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Ah ha!

Thought so.....not a backbone among you is there. No....this is an exclusive club for geeks only....right?
Pathetic excuse for a community.
You know these devices are sold to CONSUMERS as CONSUMER friendly.

Ha!!!!

You guys are chicken! Not up to it? Weak man weak!!!!

S80_UK

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:30 am

Agreed. Producing documentation that non-technical users can use to install and configure technical products is a highly skilled and very time consuming task. Roku aren't about to do it for a product that they no longer sell and provide support for, and no-one in the user community could justify the time it would take to cover the many and various pitfalls that would arise. Keep in mind that many of the reported problems are not normally with the software as such, but are often a consequence of the environment in which it is used - meaning PC hardware variations; third-party software such as firewalls, anti-virus, other; network variations such as routers, router firmware, router configuration, other networked devices; and not to mention the fact that WHS itself is not always set up / installed in the same way.

As for the time it would take... This message took 5 minutes. In 5 hours one could not cover everything that a novice might need. In 5 days... maybe. I think Hammerman is being very unfair with his remarks, even offensive in my view.

To address Hammerman's last point... Yes, the device was sold to consumers. It was sold with server software (Firefly) which works and which was updated at various times (at no additional cost to the users). Firefly works well on the many platforms that it was designed to run on. WHS is a later development, and as a consequence is not a supported platform. There are UPnP and DLNA server applications which do offer support specifically for WHS - I would recommend looking at some of those.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

cableKutter

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:33 pm

That kind of support costs money. I have no experience with either, but if you want that kind of support you may have to put up some cash for someone who does know a bit about it.