Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

stormcock
Topic Author

Winamp plug-in for Firefly

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 am

Hi there,
I made a plugin to allow a Firefly server to be accessible through Winamp. Is anyone interested in seeing this or testing it? I also have a plugin that allows last.fm scrobbling of the music played through the winamp/firefly plugin.

Tim
http://www.last.fm/user/stormcock

Screen shot:

mondoule

Re: Winamp plug-in for Firefly

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:24 am

Hi,

I would very much like to try your plugin !

Let me know,
Thanks

stormcock
Topic Author

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi, replied privately with details, let me know what you think (and whether it works!)

Tim

No Name

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 am

Does this mean that I could use WinAmp as a means of playing files through the SOundBridge? If so, then I'd definitely be interested in trying it!

Thanks!

MrGeneration

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey,

are there any updates about this Plugin? I'd be interesting in testing/using it.
Last edited by MrGeneration on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stormcock
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi, yes this is still available, using it daily myself but never had any feedback from others. I've sent you a private message with details on how to obtain and install.

Tim

TrueOdin

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:22 am

Hi,

i'm interested too. I've tryed ml_daap done 4 years ago, but i didn't never found a way to use my firefly server with Winamp (password protected).
I'm using Songbird with Daap Extension but if yours can do the same i really would like to use it. Btw i'm a Dev too so i'll give you feedback as fast as i can.

Greets and thanks,
TrueOdin

stormcock
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:45 am

Hi there, I've sent a PM with a link and instructions. Feedback would be great!

MrGeneration

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Will be further testing the Plugin and soon publish a review on my Blog (together with a review of the server). I really hope that this plugin won't end up dying without progress! :)

TrueOdin

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 am

Ok,

first of all i would like to thank you for the plugin you send me in PM.

I've got already a feedback for you, which, because of this, i cannot further test it. Personally i use DAAP Server through internet sharing (i've got a personal URL to my home share) so i expected than i can write the url into the server address (which it can be daap://url.tomy.home:3689/) but i saw that i can only use it on local sharing.

So, it would be cool if i could insert the url by hand (Songbird extension let me do this, also Exile on Linux).
So I'm waiting, for a new update when it would be available so i can further test it.

Thanks again for this plugin, i expect to watch it live ASAP.

Greets,
TrueOdin

//EDIT: Just curious, where do you store settings? Maybe i can hardcode the path by myself until you update your plugin :)

MrGeneration

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 am

Hey,

had the same problem, but Tim told me that you can change the ini settings. To do so you have to go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Winamp
There's a winamp.ini which you'll need to open with the notepad or any other editor.

Scroll down to the first line starting with "[DAAP SERVERS]" the code should look similare to this:
[DAAP Servers]
[servername]_Port=[insert port]
[servername]_ServerName=MrG-Server-x2 FF
Active-server=[servername]
DAAPServer1=[insert url here]
[servername]_MusicPassWord=[password]
[...]

Save the ini and restart winamp, hopefully it will work! :)

TrueOdin

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:08 am

MrGeneration wrote:
Hey,

had the same problem, but Tim told me that you can change the ini settings. To do so you have to go to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Winamp
There's a winamp.ini which you'll need to open with the notepad or any other editor.

Scroll down to the first line starting with "[DAAP SERVERS]" the code should look similare to this:
[DAAP Servers]
[servername]_Port=[insert port]
[servername]_ServerName=MrG-Server-x2 FF
Active-server=[servername]
DAAPServer1=[insert url here]
[servername]_MusicPassWord=[password]
[...]

Save the ini and restart winamp, hopefully it will work! :)

Thanks dude :) I'll try it right now.

TrueOdin

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

Here's another feedback.

Apart the fact that it was not so easy to configure by hand in the INI file (only now i understood that the name you use as prepend in properties, eg. [servername]_[property], was in fact the "url" of the server), it would be cool to "label" this one, so i have only one property like [servername]_url=music.com (so you can silently compose the url to connect by yourself).
But anyway i would like to have at least three features (or maybe i can't find them) which are:
1) a tweak to the GUI, so it can handle the url property
2) a way to play all the tracks without the needing to select an artist or an album or a playlist. Just let me play all the tracks like iTunes does (and btw also Songbird does) so i can shuffle between them.
3) a way to filter songs in realtime (like iTunes or Songbird does) which it does filter from title to album. The buttons find and random seems too "old" imho

Anyway really great work and so much improvement with that. I think that if you add only this three things, this plugin can change it's status to BETA ;)

Greets,
TrueOdin

//EDIT: i found also a noisy bug which give me an error "List out of bounds(#)" where # is a "random" number. This happen only when i load tracks in media library, i DO NOT PLAY anything, winamp lost focus, then winamp get focus. On get focus, a message box with that message pops-up and i have to kill "winamp.exe" process to continue (so i have to re-open Winamp).

stormcock
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Well guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I will think about all this whilst I am on the beach for the next two weeks...!

In the meantime: you feel that configuration is difficult, especially for users not on the local network ... I can work on that. So far my Configuration has been based on making it easy for the non-expert user, and to support multiple servers. I have no experience of accessing firefly through VPN tunnels etc so I have to learn...

I made an adjustment to allow 'all tracks' to be easily shown, and hence sent to Winamp. I just sent ~9000 tracks to queue in Winamp, it seems to have no problem with this.

Also I did a tiny bit of tweaking to the search function - now it just shows search results in the main window, not as menu options. But incremental search like in iTunes is really hard to program!

The random ablum - well this is great for me! Just like sticking my hand in to a pile of CDs ... but I am old-fashioned and I guess I am stuck in the artists/album paradigm - I just listen to CDs that I have ripped, I don't buy music digitally - I can take your feedback as users with a different approach...

And you get error that I have not seen, like List out of bounds and Access violation ... so I need to look at these...

But anyway, very grateful for the feedback. I use this plugin daily but with your help I can make it better.

Have a good summer guys! I put an update version of the plugin in the same place you got the last from.

Tim

ps. Next I will let you try my plugin to make these plays from Firefly scrobble to last.fm!

TrueOdin wrote:
Here's another feedback.

Apart the fact that it was not so easy to configure by hand in the INI file (only now i understood that the name you use as prepend in properties, eg. [servername]_[property], was in fact the "url" of the server), it would be cool to "label" this one, so i have only one property like [servername]_url=music.com (so you can silently compose the url to connect by yourself).
But anyway i would like to have at least three features (or maybe i can't find them) which are:
1) a tweak to the GUI, so it can handle the url property
2) a way to play all the tracks without the needing to select an artist or an album or a playlist. Just let me play all the tracks like iTunes does (and btw also Songbird does) so i can shuffle between them.
3) a way to filter songs in realtime (like iTunes or Songbird does) which it does filter from title to album. The buttons find and random seems too "old" imho

Anyway really great work and so much improvement with that. I think that if you add only this three things, this plugin can change it's status to BETA ;)

Greets,
TrueOdin

//EDIT: i found also a noisy bug which give me an error "List out of bounds(#)" where # is a "random" number. This happen only when i load tracks in media library, i DO NOT PLAY anything, winamp lost focus, then winamp get focus. On get focus, a message box with that message pops-up and i have to kill "winamp.exe" process to continue (so i have to re-open Winamp).

TrueOdin

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:05 am

Hi stormrock,

i really thank you for this update, which for me it means really so MUCH improve, rather the last time i've used it and i REALLY love the way it's now (i do not miss nothing much, apart the incremental search, which for me it's not a must, apart that i can freely search through all my library so it's ok). I've tryed it right now and if i can ask you only a little modification to the code, it would much usable (the search part). When i type my search criteria, i have to click the "?" button, while it would be cool to work also if i press the "Enter" button on my keyboard (it would be much usable).

Btw do not worry about your developer skills, they're ok, really. Until today i never found one that could done this, so it's really mature as plugin, it doesn't miss nothing (apart some little tweakings). So have a nice Summer trip and see ya at the end of August :)
I'll wait for further updates.

Greets,
TrueOdin

//EDIT: I found that Winamp does that type of search automatically for us! So if you enqueue all your tracks and then you go into "Audio" tab, into the Library panel (on the left) you can freely search like itunes your tracks! So you do not have to implement the search AT ALL. So, for me, it's really ok and done as a plugin (apart the feature to add a URL as a firefly server). I can freely navigate through ALL my library without any hassle! Thank you again man, you really made a man happy today :D