Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

artlin
Topic Author

I need some help with Firefly and my NEW router

Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 am

Greetings everyone. I really hope someone can help me.
I recently installed a new HUAWEI HG533 router supplied by TalkTalk. The security on it changed from WEP to WAP2. (I think that is correct). Ever-since my soundbridge 400 cannot see the Firefly server.

I checked everything out step by step.

The soundbridge is fine with radio so it is communicating with the router. I reset back to factory setting and re-input the password and it worked fine.

Firefly is working ok, in conjunction with Bonjour??. I re installed Firefly just in case. I created a new playlist just in case.

However, the soundbridge does not recognize the media server.

I have trolled around other forums and the TalkTalk site says that there is an issue with the router firmware that keeps updating itself every day (version 1.1.4 I think) and the WAP protocols. This is fine for increased security on the internet but, it seems, that older equipment like the soundbridge do not work.

I use Media Go to create my library and files are MP3 format. (Nothing special there).

So, the big question is ...... is there another media server that I can use that will work with the HG533 and WAP2 protocols AND that my Soundbridge 400 will recognise?

I know it is a long shot but I am hopeful.

If the answer is NO then is there alternative hardware that I can use that will do the same a the Soundbridge (radio and streamed music) that I can play through my Hi Fi Kit. This is the most important feature for my, being able to listen via my hifi set up. I did look at a Denon streamer but I am not sure about the software side.

Thanking you all in advance. I really hope someone out there has a solution for me.

bregent

Re: I need some help with Firefly and my NEW router

Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm

I doubt this has anything to do with WAP since the SB is connecting to the router and streaming. Is your Firefly server connected to the network via wired or wireless? Also, can you try connecting the SB via Ethernet cable? I'm not familiar the 400 and so not sure if it even has a ethernet port.

artlin
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply, I am most grateful.

My PC which is running Windows 7 and Firefly is wireless. I did connect the PC to the router with an Ethernet cable but it made no difference.

The SB 400 is wireless only, no Ethernet connection is available.

There is a firmware issue with the HG533 because I cannot log on to it (nor can anyone else who has this new TT router).

I suspect the problem is communication between Firefly and the router. Firefly is transmitting but the HG533 is not receiving. I did try Windows Media Player and switching on the streaming option but that did not help.

dupondt

Fri May 31, 2013 1:30 pm

artlin,

most certainly your new router is the culprit, but as bregent already suggested the issue is not related to the HG533's security setup.

In your router's setup please check if there are options named WMM, IGMP and/or Multicast or UPnP. For the SoundBridge to see Firefly or WMP, WMM has to be disabled and IGMP/Multicast must be enabled. On some routers it also helps to enable UPnP.

If you can't log in to the router, there might be other issues. If I were in your shoes I'd establish a wired connection between the HG533 and the computer and try to log in as described on this page.

Greetings
dupondt

PS @bregent: The Pinnacle SoundBridge M400PX aka SoundBridge HomeMusic is a Wi-Fi only device.
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

artlin
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

dupondt wrote:

In your router's setup please check .........

If you can't log in to the router, there might be other issues. If I were in your shoes I'd establish a wired connection between the HG533 and the computer and try to log in as described on this page.

Greetings
dupondt

PS @bregent: The Pinnacle SoundBridge M400PX aka SoundBridge HomeMusic is a Wi-Fi only device.

Again, thanks for the responses.

I have tried a wired connection to the HG533 in order to check the settings but to no avail. I use 192.168.1.2. as the URL but all I get is Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.2.

I really am frustrated with this because everything was working before I installed this new "improved" router.

artlin
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 am

PROBLEM SOLVED........................

I browsed lots and lots of sites and forums and found one that listed "top ten media servers".

Top of the list was "PLEX" server.

Downloaded it, installed it and started it up.

BINGO.

My soundbridge recognized it straight away and everything started working again.

Brilliant.

Thanks for everyone's contributions and help but it looks like I have sorted it out.