Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Slosh
Topic Author

SB doesn't see Firefly every time PC is rebooted.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:07 am

Long shot here, but worth a try.

I've been using a SB M1001 since Jan. 2006 and Firefly for nearly as long, but recently whenever I restart my PC the SB can't find Firefly. I tried uninstalling Firefly and then cleaning out the registry, then doing a fresh install but the problem persists. I found a newer build (svn_1737) but it made no difference. Luckily reinstalling Firefly over the existing install gets the SB working with Firefly again and only takes maybe 30 seconds (it remembers all of the web interface settings and music library info), but of course I would rather not have to take this step each and every time I want to use my SB after the PC has been shut down.

If it matters, this is running on an old Vista 32bit PC. Anyone know if an automatic Windows update or iTunes update may be the cause of this problem?

FWIW, iTunes still works fine with the SB but I only use iTunes with MP3 for my iPod and iPhone. All of the files Firefly serves are Apple Lossless on a separate HDD.

bregent

Re: SB doesn't see Firefly every time PC is rebooted.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm

If you haven't already, I would install the java Firefly client and see if you can connect. That will tell you whether the problem is with Firefly or some other connectivity issue.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fireflyclient/

Slosh
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I downloaded Firefly Client but I have no idea how to load my library to it. Should it find my library automatically based on Firefly configurations? I couldn't find any instructions or screenshots anywhere on the net about how to do this.

bregent

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 am

I don't recall. I'll have to check my configuration when I get home later to get more details for you.

Slosh
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:31 am

Firefly's debug log showed no errors. I could not figure out what the problem was so I created a new user account just to use iTunes with all ALAC files as a server. As mentioned above my main user account I use (Lame V0) mp3 for my iTunes library for my iPod and iPhone, but wanted to serve lossless for the SoundBridge. While having to switch users isn't ideal, at least I don't have to reinstall Firefly each and every time my computer is restarted.

bregent

Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Ah, sorry I forgot to get back to you. To connect to Firefly with the Firefly client, click File and then New Library. Enter the name you'd like to call it, the host machine (or host ip address) and the port (default is 3689). That's it.