Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Djmachv
Topic Author

Firefly, readynas duo & m1000 issuesn

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am

Hi there I hope you can help me with my set up or point me in the right direction. I have a pinnacle soundbridge m1000 running v 3.0.44 which refuses to see my firefly server, which is running on a readynas duo v1

The soundbridge is connected via Ethernet to a 4:1 powered switch which is connected to a home plug, connected to the router (a technicolor gateway tg582n). The readynas is connected to the router direct via Ethernet.

The firefly server can be seen via my iMac as a iTunes server and I can play tunes off it so I don't think the issue is with the router, nor the readynas. However the soundbridge cannot see the firefly server. It can see other servers (I also have a readynas duo v2 running logitech's squeezeserver) and it connects fine to them, but not the firefly server.

I've also switched the soundbridge over to wireless to eliminate the switch and the homeplug and still no firefly server.

Any ideas?

Also...

Is it worth perusing this issue, as I can use the soundbridge connecting to logitech's squeeze server, but I'm hoping that firefly's server will offer me better options, like importing of iTunes playlists and better searching. Or am I chasing a white rabbit here?

bregent

Re: Firefly, readynas duo & m1000 issuesn

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am

Did it ever work?
Do you know what version of Firefly you are running? Have you installed the latest updates? I know there were some problems with ReadyNas and Firefly + iTunes in the past. Also try shutting down your iMac or other systems running iTunes - I've seen reports where there is some kind of interference with RSP.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... 0&tstart=0
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58261

Djmachv
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks for the quick response!

It's never worked yet... :) The soundbridge is new - only a couple of months old.

About/Firefly says this: Firefly Media Server, version svn-1676. I'm struggling to find any later version, but i'm struggling to find a genuine firefly home page 'cos fireflymediaserver.org doesn't respond any more.

There's this but I don't know how geniune it is:

http://firefly-media-server.software.in ... /download/

and yes I've tried it with all macs turned off, too. no difference.

I'll try shutting down the duo v2 to see if those services and servers are taking president/blocking the pinnacle seeing the firefly server (or something)

Djmachv
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 am

Tried that and still no joy. All I get is a listing for the router itself (The Technicolor gateway tg582n) and an instance of slimserver, which is surprising because I'm not sure I had slimserver installed/running anywhere.

bregent

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Have you tried connecting the SB directly to the router?

Is that the only Soundbridge you have? The Pinnacle servers were not licensed for iTunes daapt and must rely on RSP. It would be interesting to see if a non Pinnacle branded device would work to determine if RSP is being blocked somewhere.

Djmachv
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:02 pm

It is the only soundbridge I've got, yes. I will try a more direct connection tomorrow, thanks for that.

I'm also intrigued with this instance of slimserver, and I'm wondering if actually that's the firefly server on the readynas, running In what looks like a slimserver "container".

The manual says to connect to slimserver I need to install some extra software onto the soundbridge, so I might give that a go, too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

bregent

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:17 pm

>I'm also intrigued with this instance of slimserver, and I'm
> wondering if actually that's the firefly server on the readynas

Probably not - it most likely has both servers installed.

Djmachv
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 pm

bregent wrote:
>I'm also intrigued with this instance of slimserver, and I'm
> wondering if actually that's the firefly server on the readynas

Probably not - it most likely has both servers installed.

Yeah you're right, it's a instance of the Logitech squeeze server. I did an automatic update on the slimserver and the roku just acted like my Logitech.

Still yet to move the roku/pinnacle near the router. I "tidied" (hidden) all the cables away before starting this thread including the power supply and it's going to be a pain to get it out now, so I'm going to see if I can find an alternate power supply that will match polarity and voltage/amps (I've got a few).

doordevil1240

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 am

I think the problem is in way the Firefly service gets advertised.
It seems like your Firefly service is working, since it does get advertised to iTunes on your iMac as a "iTunes share music" service (mt-daapd).
However, it is very likely that it doesn't get advertised as a Roku service (rsp).
You can check which service is advertised on your NAS with for instance flame.

If needed, you can add the rsp service by adding the following lines to the file /etc/avahi/services/X.service:
<service>
<type>_rsp._tcp</type>
<port>3689</port>
</service>
<service>

It is no problem to advertise both the service mt-daap and rsp.
1 x Roku R1000 SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge
Firefly svn 1696 on OpenSuSE 11.3

Djmachv
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 am

doordevil1240 that's good advice and I'll run Flame tonight to see whats what.

when you say "you can add the rsp service by adding the following lines to the file /etc/avahi/services/X.service:" where do you mean that file would reside? On the router or on the NAS?

doordevil1240

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 am

Djmachv wrote:
doordevil1240 that's good advice and I'll run Flame tonight to see whats what.

when you say "you can add the rsp service by adding the following lines to the file /etc/avahi/services/X.service:" where do you mean that file would reside? On the router or on the NAS?

On the NAS. You might need to check the readynas manual or forum about how to add services.
It is possible to have per advertised service a file in the directory /etc/avahi/services.
Then the format of this file is a bit different.
Or you can have all you advertised services in 1 file in the directory /etc/avahi/services.
These X.service files of avahi are just straight forward xml file. Not hard to understand/read.
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge

Djmachv
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:52 pm

ok so it has got the rsp service running

Djmachv
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm

... and if it's in the same room as my router it can see the iTunes server both over wireless and via ethernet. Thanks to bregent for that suggestion

Ok so there are two issues. With wireless I think it's down to my Wifi Repeater. The wifi signal in my isn't strong enough for where I want the Soundbridge to be located so I'm going to look into seeing if I can play around with its config to see if I can work out what is going on with it to block the iTunes server being made available.

With the ethernet there's a lot going on between the router and the soundbridge: it goes from the router into a homeplug, then into a TP Link 4/1 switch. I don't think either of these are externally controllable so I think I should work on the wireless route and see if I can get it working that way.

Annoyingly now seeing it working with itunes server does make me want to get it working properly as it's far better than using the squeezeserver instance.

If any one has any advice about configuring wifi repeaters, it would be most welcome. :)

Djmachv
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm

I've logged into the wifi repeater and there's not a lot of options to play with to be honest.

So i've taken my mac book downstairs to where the soundbridge lives and run Flame over wireless, through the wifi repeater and then through the ethernet cable that the soundbridge is plugged into and annoyingly I can see the same services on the same port numbers as the screen shot above so I'm still confused.

and even more confusing is that I can connect to the iTunes Server on my mbp over wifi in the same room as the soundbridge and over the ethernet cable.

:?

doordevil1240

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 am

That IS odd!!

To conclude on your story:
- All the required services are advertised according to your printout (mt-daapd for iTunes, and RSP for your pinnacle soundbridge).
- Firefly is running and working for your iTunes version
- Your pinnacle soundbridge does not find the a firefly server via RSP.

I think there are more options to investigate, but they are not as easy as what you did up till now.

In order to check if rsp is working:
- Open the application Terminal on your iMac or MacBook
- Issue the following command: curl http://<IP address of NAS>:3689/rsp/db/libary
In your case the following might work: curl http://Oldillmatic.local:3689/rsp/db/libary
If you receive a response: curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'Oldillmatic.local' you have to use the IP address of your NAS
- If you rsp is working, this command would output after a while a dump of the Firefly library.
If you don't get this dump I'm even more puzzeled, and you might need to increase the log level on your Firefly service
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge