Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bregent

Re: Firefly, readynas duo & m1000 issuesn

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:25 pm

>I've logged into the wifi repeater and there's not a lot of options to play with to be honest.

Are there options for IGMP or Multicast on the repeater? Try enabling if disabled.

Djmachv
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 am

bregent wrote:
>I've logged into the wifi repeater and there's not a lot of options to play with to be honest.

Are there options for IGMP or Multicast on the repeater? Try enabling if disabled.

not to my knowledge. these are the advanced options:

dupondt

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 am

Djmachv,

disable WMM on your router and repeater and see if that helps.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Djmachv
Topic Author

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 am

doordevil1240 wrote:
That IS odd!!
If you don't get this dump I'm even more puzzeled, and you might need to increase the log level on your Firefly service

I get the data dump.

I've run the command line over wifi and via the ethernet and I get the data dump.
very confused now.

doordevil1240

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:46 am

Djmachv wrote:
I get the data dump.

I've run the command line over wifi and via the ethernet and I get the data dump.
very confused now.

Then it looks like Firefly is OK.
What happened if you try to connect the Soundbridge m1000 direct to the router on which your NAS is connect, as suggested earlier by Bregent?
1 x Roku R1000 SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge Radio
2 x Pinnacle SoundBridge
Firefly svn 1696 on OpenSuSE 11.3

bregent

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Does the wireless repeater have a B only mode? Try that. I've heard some devices don't transfer RSP in mixed mode.

Djmachv
Topic Author

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:12 am

doordevil1240 wrote:
What happened if you try to connect the Soundbridge m1000 direct to the router on which your NAS is connect, as suggested earlier by Bregent?

It works OK. I've just used a 20 metre cat 5 cable to connect the sb to router and it connects fine.

bregent wrote:
Does the wireless repeater have a B only mode? Try that. I've heard some devices don't transfer RSP in mixed mode.

Tried that - sadly no difference.

dupondt wrote:
Djmachv,
disable WMM on your router and repeater and see if that helps.

Tried that and it stopped showing all servers.

I've isolated the problem with the ethernet connection to the homeplugs - they seem to be preventing the itunes server from being seen by the sb.

With wireless it's definitely the Wireless Repeater: I've taken it out of my set up and the soundbridge can just about connect to my wireless network and connect to the itunes server but it is very flaky and not really sustainable. It keeps dropping out and losing the connection.

Ideally I would like to get to work over ethernet so if anyone knows more about homeplugs or an alternative make which works with their set up I would love to hear some suggestions. I really don't want to run a cat 5 cable over three floors, just for this.

Atlernatively any suggestions for a replacement wireless repeater as the one I've got really doesn't cut the mustard. Annoyingly I've got two old routers - a Linksys WAG320N and a Netgear DG824N - which I was hoping I could turn into a wireless repeater by neither of them seem to have that functionality.

For now I'm going back to connecting to the Logitech server over ethernet.

bregent

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:39 am

I'm using a SLING Homeplug with my M1001 non-Pinnacle SB with no problem.

But as my device is not a Pinnacle, my M1001 may be using daap. Anyone know of a way for me to check which protocol is being used?

Djmachv
Topic Author

Re: Firefly, readynas duo & m1000 issues

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Oh my god, I fixed it. :) but it's weird...

So I looked for sling home plugs, couldn't find them so thought I'd upgrade anyway and got some ZyXEL 600mbps though plug ones which arrived today, so plugged them in, and still no iTunes server.

Undaunted by this set back, I decided to idiot check my whole router/switch set up and test everything again.

When I did my long cat5 cable check before, I didn't actually plug into the router as the router was difficult to access, I went into the powered switch (my router only has three Ethernet points, one for my readynas- running the firefly server- one for the home plug and one for the switch). So I thought if it worked in the powered switch, it would be the same as (if not worse as it's one link down the chain) plugging into the router.

And that was my mistake.

If the home plug is plugged into the router along side the firefly server, the soundbridge can't see the iTunes server.

If the home plug is plugged into a powered switch which is plugged into a port on the router, it CAN see the iTunes server!

This seemed completely counter intuitive to me, but what the heck, I'm happy and, though I might have been able to work that out without buying new homeplugs, but what the heck they are an welcome upgrade.

Thanks or all your help and suggestions, everybody. The worst thing would've been silence (my thread on the readynas forum remains unanswered) and you've been great. I wouldn't have got there without you.