TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon May 01, 2006 1:08 pm

Adhar wrote:
Can someone post a link to this thing?

http://www.rokulabs.com/firefly/

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

RokuPatrick

Mon May 01, 2006 1:08 pm

schiers

Mon May 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi,

will there be a Linux version?

BR Carsten.

buchananmb
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2006 1:50 pm

I've seen that page before and only learned from it that it's Roku's open-source media server. I am looking for more info. on any features it offers that are unique to it (v. DAAP, UPnP, etc.). Is this aimed at development outside proprietary servers? Is this for situations where existing servers aren't an option (Pinnacle)? Does it add functionality some are using SlimServer to accomplish? Maybe that sort of info. can't be given or is common knowledge to someone more advanced than I am. Throw me a bone!

rpedde

Re: what is the Firefly media server?

Mon May 01, 2006 3:20 pm

buchananmb wrote:
what is the Firefly media server?

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Firefly media server is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.

No. Wait... wrong story.

The Firefly Media Server is the open-source project that was mt-daapd. It continues to be open source, and the most fundamental difference is support for RSP, the Roku Server Protocol.

As far as what the capabilities are of the Firefly Media Server, these are the same capabilities of mt-daapd itself. On the unix version of Firefly, it supports wma, ogg, flac, alac, and can transcode on the server side. These features are still to be enabled on the windows side, but we hope to be able to support these features shortly.

schiers wrote:
will there be a Linux version?

Absolutely. As this is based on mt-daapd, it remains open source, and as such, linux and other unix platforms will continue to be supported.

The biggest win is that an open source server has the ability to have features demanded and added by the community. You have a say in the direction of the development, and can influence what it does and how it works.

So I'd encourage you to make suggestions, report bugs, and help make Firefly the best media server available for the soundbridge.

Thanks.

-- Ron

wideasleep1

Mon May 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Hey..a new forum!!! :p

Just a quick point of clarification, not that it affects me, but I want to understand:

FireFly is open-source GPL, but is used in Apple iTunes? I saw the Pinnacle branded Soundbridge doesn't support DAAP due to Apple licenses? Or..is Mt-DAAPD completely separate, and the Pinnacle issues unrelated? I'm just getting all confused...hehe. Am I understanding that Roku *can* use iTunes (DAAP) since they have 'licenses', but Pinnacle SB's cannot as they have not obtained licenses? What I am hoping is FireFly is totally separate, and needs no permissions from Apple nor Roku moving forward, aside from whatever RSP protocol are developed.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

rpedde

Mon May 01, 2006 7:46 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
What I am hoping is FireFly is totally separate, and needs no permissions from Apple nor Roku moving forward, aside from whatever RSP protocol are developed.

I don't know anything about licensing issues, but your statement above is completely correct.

-- Ron

rpedde

New build

Tue May 02, 2006 12:27 am

New build (svn-1004) available at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org.

This release fixes the installer bug that sets the wrong directory in the configuration, the crashes on scanning with long file names, and adds a tray icon for configuring and start/stopping the server. It also offers mangled names for rsp versus daap. (rsp servers show up as a rsp server, so they can be distinguished in the ui).

schiers

Tue May 02, 2006 6:31 am

Ron,

that sounds great. I will try to install a nightly version as soon as I am back at home (unfortunately, I have to earn some money and am currently abroad...).

Best Regards,
Carsten.

Burkhardi

Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Hello Ron,
Could Firefly be the answer/solution down the road to running serveral Soundbridges and being able to hear the same thing out of all of them with no dealy (read synchronized playback)?

Now that would be the hot setup...

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Ted Harper

Re: New build

Tue May 02, 2006 2:42 pm

rpedde wrote:
New build (svn-1004) available at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org.

This release fixes the installer bug that sets the wrong directory in the configuration, the crashes on scanning with long file names, and adds a tray icon for configuring and start/stopping the server. It also offers mangled names for rsp versus daap. (rsp servers show up as a rsp server, so they can be distinguished in the ui).

Something I just noticed in doing an upgrade installation (ie not uninstalling the "beta 1" build first) was that the configuration file is left with the plugin directory as ".", even though the updated rsp.dll is in the new plugins subdirectory. I have manually edited the configuration file on mine (so the folder is now specified in the file as plugin_dir = .\plugins), and I also renamed the old rsp.dll (in the root folder of the application and seemingly left behind by the upgrade installation) so it can't be picked up accidentally.

I hope that is the right thing to do - I haven't tested from the Soundbridge yet - but I thought I'd better mention it.

ted.h.

rpedde

build cleanup

Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 pm

Something I just noticed in doing an upgrade installation (ie not uninstalling the "beta 1" build first) was that the configuration file is left with the plugin directory as ".", even though the updated rsp.dll is in the new plugins subdirectory.

Nice catch. I'll fix that in the next installer version so it doesn't bite someone. Turns out this time didn't have any effect, but should really be fixed. Thanks.

epete

Thu May 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Ron:

Probably asking too much, but will this server support streaming live audio feeds from an Audio Card Line Input to the Roku? I am still looking for some simple software that can do this.

Evan