Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Ted Harper
Topic Author

Unable to shutdown PC with Firefly svn-1004 tray app running

Wed May 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Since updating my media server PC from the "beta 1" build to the svn-1004 nightly version of Firefly, I have been unable to do a normal/tidy shutdown. When I do Turn Off Computer/Turn Off it appears to start to shut down correctly, and some of the services are shut down, then it just doesn't shut down and the eventviewer log has a message to the effect that "attempt to power off the PC failed".

If I manually shut down the Firefly service AND the new little Configuration tray application (newly added in the nightly build), then powering-down works normally. This behaviour didn't happen with the beta1 build of Firefly, only with the svn-1004 nightly and _only_ if the Firefly Configuration tray application is running when the shutdown is attempted.

ted.h.

werewindle

Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi

I am experiencing the same problem. I had installed latest version of firefly (svn-1004) and since then my PC will not shutdown normally. I have to manually exit the tray icon for the Firefly media server and then shutdown the PC again. The event log has a warning message "The attempt to power off 'PC' failed".

Pc is running Windows XP SP2.

AmazinglySmooth

Thu May 04, 2006 8:08 am

Ditto here... just uninstalled it, and all is well now. Let me know when this is fixed so I can try it again.

Cheers

Ted Harper
Topic Author

Thu May 04, 2006 2:20 pm

AmazinglySmooth wrote:
Ditto here... just uninstalled it, and all is well now. Let me know when this is fixed so I can try it again.

I removed the Firefly Configuration application from the Startup group in Windows. It appears to be unnecessary (there isn't an equivalent on the other operating systems that pre-built binaries are available for with Firefly), and as well as making my PC not shut down it seems to take about 8Mbytes of RAM when running (vs less than 2Mbytes for the actual Firefly server).

I am going to keep running that way, and even after the apparent problem with the Firefly Configuration tray application is fixed I don't think I will bother with running it anyway.

While Firefly is in rapid development I think it is worth anyone with a reasonable acceptance of buggy behaviour to keep up with the nightly builds and to report bugs (I'm doing so in here - rather than the mt-daapd bugtracker - because I am not really sure in most cases whether it is a Firefly bug or a Roku/RSP-protocol one), in order that as much testing and fixing as possible gets done in a short period.

ted.h.

rpedde

Thu May 04, 2006 9:10 pm

Ted Harper wrote:
AmazinglySmooth wrote:

I am going to keep running that way, and even after the apparent problem with the Firefly Configuration tray application is fixed I don't think I will bother with running it anyway.

Heh. Yup. Noticed that as well. I was cursing a bit until I realized whose fault it was. D'oh!

-- Ron

rpedde

Sat May 06, 2006 1:17 am

rpedde wrote:
Heh. Yup. Noticed that as well. I was cursing a bit until I realized whose fault it was. D'oh!

New version posted at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/, with this fix in it.

-- Ron

werewindle

Sat May 06, 2006 10:40 pm

Hi

I have downloaded and installed latest fix svn-1018 and it has cured the shutdown problem.

Thanks for the quick turn round for the fix.