Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mraneri
Topic Author

Does Firefly support Transcoding WMA Lossless???

Thu May 04, 2006 5:20 pm

Please say yes... or say it will soon....

This seems to be a great development, and I'm looking forward to installing it.

Also, I assume it coexists nicely with WMC 2.0 for the moment?

Thanks.

- Mike

Ted Harper

Thu May 04, 2006 5:49 pm

I'm afraid I don't know anything about lossless support, but I _can_ confirm for you that I have had Firefly running on the same PC as WMC 2.0 (and pointing to the same library) and there were no problems with interaction between them.

Firefly uses little memory compared with WMC (say 2Mbytes vs 30Mbytes) and seems light on CPU consumption too, so they don't seem to degrade eachother.

Also because WMC uses UPnP and Firefly offers DAAP and the brand new Roku-specific RSP protocols, there shouldn't be any confusion problems with client devices or port conflicts on the server PC either - I haven't struck any anyway.

There are a few bugs in Firefly right now - this forum has a pretty comprehensive list - but I am finding it is certainly useable right now to my Soundbridge M1001. Ron (main author of Firefly) has logged bugs for I think all of the issues that have been posted here, and from what I can see here and in the mt-daapd/Firefly bug tracker he has fixed many/most of these for the next "nightly" test build - which I think is expected within the next few days.

FYI what I am hoping to do (if Firefly proceeds as well as I hope) is use Firefly and Twonkyvision and actually switch off WMC. Specifically I will use Firefly to serve the Soundbridge (via RSP protocol) and Twonkyvision (via UPnP) to continue to serve my other media player device (DLink DSM320) and an XBox360.

ted.h.

rpedde

future plans

Thu May 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Ted Harper wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know anything about lossless support, but I _can_ confirm for you that I have had Firefly running on the same PC as WMC 2.0 (and pointing to the same library) and there were no problems with interaction between them.

General schedule is to get everything working well for the simple case -- mp3/aac/wma, and then work toward more esoteric stuff.

The transcoding infrastructure is in place, but on the unix side works mostly via scripting. I want to get native transcoders for windows, hopefully leveraging a "convert-everything" library like ffmpeg or something to transcode everything. Not sure what the status of wma lossage... errr... lossless is. :)

There are a few bugs in Firefly right now

Yeah, I'm working on filing off the roughest edges soonest. In a week or so, I think it will have settled down into something pretty darn usable.

FYI what I am hoping to do (if Firefly proceeds as well as I hope)...

Keep sending feedback... y'all are driving this bus.

-- Ron

jautor

Re: future plans

Sun May 07, 2006 10:46 pm

rpedde wrote:
Not sure what the status of wma lossage... errr... lossless is. :)

Well, one way or another, WMA Lossless is a killer issue for me - I've got my whole collection ripped to it... Now, I'd actually prefer Roku to "fix" this by having client-side lossless support, but WMC is providing the server-side transcoding for now.

Jeff

rpedde

Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm

jautor wrote:
Well, one way or another, WMA Lossless is a killer issue for me - I've got my whole collection ripped to it...

joking aside, it looks like ffmpeg has support for wma lossless. WMP9 lossless, anyway. With any luck, the format won't change in the future.

Once the native transcoding is up, it should do wma lossless (as I plan to use ffmpeg to do transcoding). But to reiterate, the game plan is to get common case (wma/aac/wma) working well first, then move to transcoding.

-- Ron

mraneri
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2006 4:49 am

rpedde wrote:
Once the native transcoding is up, it should do wma lossless (as I plan to use ffmpeg to do transcoding).

This is great news. Please keep us posted.

Like Jeff, my collection has too much WMA Lossless for this software to make sense until it's supported. I'm VERY much looking forward to the day where it is supported. Thanks again, for what seems like a great option for many users, and many more to come.

- Mike

ajayre

Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 pm

rpedde wrote:
The transcoding infrastructure is in place, but on the unix side works mostly via scripting.

Great!!! I have mplayer installed and working, and I know about unix scripting. So what do I need to do to transcode real audio streams? I.e. BBC 1 :)

Andy
SB M1001, mt-daapd on SuSE 9.2, Netgear WGR614v6