Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mmcinnis2

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:47 pm

One other point. Is there an easy way to allow me to edit the .conf file? I am not a linux person but was able to add .wma to the configuration line. However, I had to do this using vi, a linux editor that I really am not sure what I am doing when I use it.

I can open the file with Wordpad on Windows but it seems to be read-only.

rpedde

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm

mmcinnis2 wrote:
So, the second one is the one to use, right?

Yup.

My other problem is that it doesn't seem to pick up wma lossless.

You can make it scan and display wma lossless, but it won't transcode them from a slug. There isn't an open source wma lossless decoder. Firefly will transcode those, but it will only do it from a windows platform, where it can use the windows media codecs.

If you want lossless you can play on multiple platforms, flac might be the better option. That doesn't help though if you already have a bunch of wma lossless.

mmcinnis2

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:09 pm

Most of my stuff is mp3, but I would like to move to either Apple lossless or Windows lossless and play from the slug. Is it safe to assume that these will never be available via mt-daapd?

grommet

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:20 pm

Firefly supports ALAC (Apple Lossless) now... transcoded, of course. (Using the reverse engineered ALAC code.) If Roku ever adds WMAL natively to SoundBridge, then you could use that, too... and save network bandwidth. But don't expect that anytime soon...

I don't think anyone is trying to get a WMAL codec working or reverse engineered on other platforms... evil Microsoft, ya know? 8)

rpedde

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:24 pm

grommet wrote:
I don't think anyone is trying to get a WMAL codec working or reverse engineered on other platforms... evil Microsoft, ya know? 8)

There are, actually. I've seen some discussion of the schemes they use as compared to flac and alac. At least there has been enough inspection to understand how it's done. Don't know it that will ever turn into a codec, but it's been inspected at least somewhat.

wrt editing the config file... if you chown the config file to the "runas" user, you can edit the config file from the web interface...

mmcinnis2

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:47 am

Ron, your Firefly works great with my slug. Fantastic!

One more question. Is there a way to have the slug tell my drive to spin down when inactive? I have an Iogear 250GB drive plugged into the slug.

rpedde

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:03 pm

mmcinnis2 wrote:
Ron, your Firefly works great with my slug. Fantastic!

One more question. Is there a way to have the slug tell my drive to spin down when inactive? I have an Iogear 250GB drive plugged into the slug.

Make sure always_scan is set to 0, so it doesn't do background scans when no uses are connected.

Next, you'll have to configure your drive to spin down -- that means setting the power management options on the drive. On mine, I actually took the drives out of the chassis and put them in a pc, and ran the IBM disk management utility and set the APM settings on the drive to spin down after 10 min.

You'll have to find a utility that does the same thing. Maybe try loading the iomega stuff on your PC and seeing if they have a way to set spindown times using the pc software, then move the drive over to the slug.

-- Ron