Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

travis.hume
Topic Author

Album not being found

Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 am

This isn't specific to Firefly, but maybe someone has a suggestion.

I have an album "Green Day/Bullet In A Bible" that isn't being found or served by Firefly. I don't know why. The ID3 tags all look fine and complete, itunes finds it and transfers it to my ipod, the files play on my PC.

This was also a problem with Window Media Connect.

What other investigative steps can I take?
Thanks.

PS - Love Firefly. Soooo much faster than WMC!

rpedde

Re: Album not being found

Fri May 12, 2006 3:25 pm

travis.hume wrote:
I have an album "Green Day/Bullet In A Bible" that isn't being found or served by Firefly. I don't know why. The ID3 tags all look fine and complete, itunes finds it and transfers it to my ipod, the files play on my PC.

Is this mp3, m4a, or wma?

travis.hume
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 11:33 pm

mp3

Ted Harper

Sat May 13, 2006 1:14 am

If you've not done so already and have a Windows PC available, download Mp3tag from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and edit/save the tags on all the songs on that problematic album.

Maybe select all of them, then change the album name to what it already is or something (ie so the tag collection is rewritten for each track). Also perhaps look at the tags on one or more of the tracks individually (within Mp3tag right-click on a track then select Tags... from the context menu. On the resulting popup page, delete any tags which look suspicious or unnecessary and do this for all the tracks in the problem album.

Maybe there are both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags on the tracks in that album and one or other of them has bad information in it, and the other tag-viewing apps you have used are interpreting this inconsistent information differently from the media server(s) you are using with the Soundbridge? The fact that both Firefly and Windows Media Connect are both getting that album wrong in the same way probably means there is something strange and hidden in the tagging, and maybe giving them a good flushing out - as I think mp3tag will do (definitely it does a good job cleaning up tags on the WMA files I have) - will be just what is needed.

With Firefly I reckon you will have to delete songs.db and restart it to have it reprocess all the tags into its database when the tags have been edited in that way. I find that I have to do that with my WMA files with Firefly, but I don't know if that is by-design in Firefly or not.

ted.h.

rpedde

Sat May 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Ted Harper wrote:
If you've not done so already and have a Windows PC available, download Mp3tag from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and edit/save the tags on all the songs on that problematic album.

This will probably work, but please save one of the "bad" files for me -- I'd like to see it if possible.

With Firefly I reckon you will have to delete songs.db and restart it to have it reprocess all the tags into its database when the tags have been edited in that way. I find that I have to do that with my WMA files with Firefly, but I don't know if that is by-design in Firefly or not.

Normally, you don't have to do that. If you change a tag on a song, then the server sees it was changed since the last time it scanned and will rescan the file.

But when the wma tag reading is changed (for example), then the server doesn't know it needs to update .wma files. So a rescan might be required on a version update (and on non-beta versions it will force a full rescan as appropriate), but not when using the same version. If that makes sense.

-- Ron

travis.hume
Topic Author

That did the trick

Sun May 14, 2006 1:41 pm

I used Mp3tag to add the year field to the Bullet In A Bible tracks and now Firefly sees them.

I kept a copy of the "broken" tracks if someone is interested in looking at them.