Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pnnoakes
Topic Author

Unable to see flac files using Firefly

Sat May 13, 2006 10:20 am

Firefly is working well with regard to MP3 files, but I have not yet found a way to get FLAC files to stream on the SB using this server. I've read the notepad file regarding adding .flac to the extension list, but I'm not clear on how this is done.

NB. I like the fact that unlike Twonky, when I reboot my PC/server, I do not have to restart the SB for it to connect to Firefly.

Patrick

schiers

Sat May 13, 2006 12:39 pm

Hi,

in order to "see" flac, you have to modify the config file accordingly. Nevertheless, flac is served transcoded and this doesn't work with rsp protocoll currently. It does through daap though.

Ron, the restarting issue sound pretty familiar to me. Patrick, please describe in more detail what happens on your site. For me, after not having used the Soundbridge for a while, when I switch on, it says: server not available (and mostly reboots or I have to select mt-daapd/rsp 1.0 again. Is it what you meant?

Best Regards,
Carsten.

pnnoakes
Topic Author

Sun May 14, 2006 5:10 am

Schiers

Thanks for your advice. The restart issue is actually with Twonky. If I reboot my PC or restart Twonky and then take the SB out of standby, it attempts to connect to Twonky and then gives me the 'connection failed' message. I then have to reboot the SB using the restart option in the menu for it to connect successfully to Twonky.

I noticed however, that the same does not occur for Firefly. The SB seems to connect straight away without any need to reboot.

For this reason, Firefly would seem to be more user friendly for less technically minded users (ie my wife) and therefore I was keen to use it as a replacement to Twonky asap with FLAC and MP3.

System: Files on PC running XP sp2, Netgear MIMO router (wireless link from PC to router), SB hardwired from router.

schiers

Sun May 14, 2006 11:48 am

Hi,

that's funny, because for me it's exactly the oposite. Twonky on Linux runs w/o probs for 100 days, Firefly will behave naughty after detaching the Soundbridge for more than 3-4 hours.

CU Carsten.