Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DRV
Topic Author

FireFly Media Server (rsp/1.0)

Mon May 15, 2006 6:41 am

I connect to the SoundBridge through an AMX program and Touch Panel that I'm currently writing and configuring to integrate with the SoundBridge.

I saw the Fire Fly reference and got curious so I downloaded and installed it. Pointed to my harddrive location for media went back to the touch panel pushed the disconnect from server button and then the list servers button and I found two listings for FireFly were added to my previous list and the second had the (rsp/1.0). Why are two servers showing up? What's the differences? They both work fine, the lists and searching is identical and it took no more that 2 minutes to get working after downloading which was cool.

This has great potential! Thanks to who ever!

But what's the second server listed for?
DRV

schiers

Mon May 15, 2006 6:45 am

Hi,

one is serving DAAP protocol, one is serving the new RSP (Roku Soundbridge Protocol). You will notive a difference when you browse a list of some thousand titles. It went down from Twonky (some minutes) through DAAP (40 seconds) to four seconds with RSP. Firefly on PIII-900, aprox. 7200 mp3s.

BR,
Carsten.

richdunlop

Mon May 15, 2006 1:07 pm

I think the plan is that over time RSP will be extended with features that aren't available via vanilla upnp and DAAP servers. I'm personally hoping for synchronisation between multiple Soundbridges...

rpedde

Tue May 16, 2006 8:16 pm

schiers wrote:
It went down from Twonky (some minutes) through DAAP (40 seconds) to four seconds with RSP. Firefly on PIII-900, aprox. 7200 mp3s.

teh snappy! it's in there!

But yeah, having an open-source server platforms means the ability to do interesting stuff without waiting on Big Company to deliver it. Gotta work through stable first, though.

-- Ron