Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

xanth
Topic Author

Network Drives with Firefly

Mon May 15, 2006 12:40 pm

Complete novice, I have got Firefly working on my laptop but would like to stream from a NAS drive which is a mapped drive on my laptop. I have failed completely with this (also with WMC so it is likely to be a Windows problem)

I am runnning latest version XP with Zonealarm, 2.44 SB SW running on M1001. Is this possible?

This is really an interim as my main music library is on another machine synchronised with the NAS, and ultimately (if I get brave enough) I will hack the NAS to run without any PC switched on.

Colin :?:

ajayre

Mon May 15, 2006 12:49 pm

I'm not sure about a NAS, but I have mt-daapd/FMS running on a linux box, with all the mp3s stored in a folder that is also accessible via Samba. This makes it look like a regular shared folder which I map to a network drive.

I then use my laptop for ripping directly to the share, at which point mt-daapd/FMS automatically scans once an hour for new files...

Andy
SB M1001, mt-daapd on SuSE 9.2, Netgear WGR614v6

rpedde

Re: Network Drives with Firefly

Tue May 16, 2006 8:01 pm

xanth wrote:
Complete novice, I have got Firefly working on my laptop but would like to stream from a NAS drive which is a mapped drive on my laptop. I have failed completely with this (also with WMC so it is likely to be a Windows problem)

Yeah, there is a trick to that. Your problem is that drive letters are specific to *your* user logon, and the don't exist for services and whatnot.

You can "fake" it in a number of ways. Here's one.

Set your mp3_dir to be the UNC path to the share... so, instead of F:\MUSIC, use \\nasbox\share\music, or whatever the \\server\share\path is to the mp3 files you want to use are. (Does this make sense? I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure if this is understandable.)

Next, make FMS start up with a user account that has rights to that share. Typically, this means running FMS as you. Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> services, and do a "properties" on Firefly Media Server. Go to the "logon" tab, and set it log on as you, with your password rather than as "LocalSystem". Stop and start FMS, and it should go like crazy.

'Course, it will index slower, as it is doing it off the network, but should still be usable.

-- Ron

grommet

Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm

And that's also the reason why you have the same issue with WMC 2.0. It needs UNC paths... and it runs as a Network Service pseudo-user, so that needs to have access. The WMC 2.0 FAQ/Readme covers part of this.

rpedde

Tue May 16, 2006 8:10 pm

grommet wrote:
And that's also the reason why you have the same issue with WMC 2.0. It needs UNC paths... and it runs as a Network Service pseudo-user, so that needs to have access. The WMC 2.0 FAQ/Readme covers part of this.

See? And everyone laughs when I show them my Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server certification... Now who's laughing? That knowledge comes in handy! :)

-- Ron

xanth
Topic Author

Many Thanks

Wed May 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for your time to answer my problem, I have now done as you suggested and it works fine. I did have to set a password for the user name though.

Many thanks

Colin :D