Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mcfh
Topic Author

Installation Problems

Mon May 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Ron,
When I try and install Firefly on my media server it says it can't find Bonjour and that Bonjour isn't installed.

I have traced this to part of McAfee which doesn't like the temporary DLL you install to detect Bonjour.

Regards
Mark
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

rpedde

Re: Installation Problems

Tue May 16, 2006 8:08 pm

mcfh wrote:
Ron,
When I try and install Firefly on my media server it says it can't find Bonjour and that Bonjour isn't installed.

I have traced this to part of McAfee which doesn't like the temporary DLL you install to detect Bonjour.

That's problematic, as that's the same dll that installs the service as well -- it does all service handling. What doesn't mcafee like about it? Norton seems okay with it. :(

Aside from disabling real-time scanning when installing, I don't know a workaround.

I can provide a raw .exe of firefly, and you can manually install it -- it has a switch to register itself as a service. Maybe that would work. If that's something you would be interested in, send me a pm, and I'll make it available to you.

-- Ron

mcfh
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2006 12:49 am

Ron,
McAfee defines it as a PUP http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid44_gci1066761,00.html!

Why can't you switch to using the merge module for Bonjour (I am using that in my application) which Apple are more than happy to license. If you create the install as a web-based install it will also not download it if you don't need it and package the app correctly.

Regards
Mark[/url]
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2

Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

rpedde

Wed May 17, 2006 1:20 am

mcfh wrote:

lol.

Source is here. I guess I could shuffle the source around until McAfee doesn't complain, but I don't have McAfee to test with. :(

Why can't you switch to using the merge module for Bonjour (I am using that in my application) which Apple are more than happy to license. If you create the install as a web-based install it will also not download it if you don't need it and package the app correctly.

Because it's not an .msi package. I use nsi because it's easier to do stuff with it. I use wix a fair amount to build ad deployable packages at work, and it's easy to do trivial things with, but it isn't clear to me that it's approachable for non-trivial packages. Wix aside, I don't have a full-featured installer application like InstallShield or anything because I can't see dropping the cash to fix something that's not broken.

I'll agree that it's not as nice as a .msi package, but it's not substantively broken, imho.