Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

skirkland
Topic Author

Can NSLU2 serve AAC files to Pinnacle M1000?

Wed May 17, 2006 8:31 am

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of my first SoundBridge - a Pinnacle M1000. After overcoming the initial obstacles (no WPA and no direct iTunes) I'm delighted with my purchase.

In a bid to avoid leaving my PC on 24/7, I've just ordered a Linksys NSLU2 and a 250GB Seagate external USB2 HDD. Given the Pinnacle SB's apparent lack of DAAP support, will I be able to get this working with my library of AAC files? I can't ascertain from other postings whether the unslung mt-daap package includes the same Firefly Media Server functionality that makes my iTunes library accessible on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Scott Kirkland.

rpedde

Re: Can NSLU2 serve AAC files to Pinnacle M1000?

Wed May 17, 2006 5:25 pm

skirkland wrote:
will I be able to get this working with my library of AAC files? I can't ascertain from other postings whether the unslung mt-daap package includes the same Firefly Media Server functionality that makes my iTunes library accessible on Windows XP.

Yes. You'll have to install developer snapshots, but they are simple to install, and you can find help to do it here. It's only marginally harder than installing straight from unslung.

-- Ron

skirkland
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Thanks Ron. From further reading, I'm guessing that the Pinnacle SB will only show the Firefly RSP server and not the DAAP one.

I've just received notification from Amazon that the NSLU2 has been shipped and have also had confirmation from Linksys that the Seagate 250GB drive should be compatible. Hopefully I'll have discreet, low power consumption music serving by the end of tomorrow!

Kind regards,

Scott Kirkland.

skirkland
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi,

It wasn't trivial and took a fair few hours, but I've got it working! For any interested parties, the following configuration seems to work fine:

Pinnacle M1001 (wireless)
Linksys WAG54G
ZoneAlarm
Linksys NSLU2 (running uNLSUng)
Seagate 250GB External USB2 HDD (ST3250824U2-RK)
mt-daapd svn-1050 (running on NSLU2)
iTunes 6.0.4.2 (ripping direct to HDD on NSLU2)
4313 songs
Smart playlists (configured through browser interface)

A thoroughly enjoyable exercise that I will be sharing with my friends and colleagues. Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Scott Kirkland.

rpedde

Sat May 20, 2006 4:00 pm

skirkland wrote:
A thoroughly enjoyable exercise that I will be sharing with my friends and colleagues. Keep up the good work!

That's what drew me to the nslu2 in the first place, it's a pleasant intellectual challenge, and makes a fine little music server when it's all said and done.

I've been very happy with my nslu2 & soundbridge -- it's a nice pair.

Glad to hear you got it all working.

-- Ron

na9d

Re: Can NSLU2 serve AAC files to Pinnacle M1000?

Sat May 20, 2006 7:43 pm

skirkland wrote:
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of my first SoundBridge - a Pinnacle M1000. After overcoming the initial obstacles (no WPA and no direct iTunes) I'm delighted with my purchase.

No direct iTunes? Is this a handicap of the Pinnacle version of the product? If so, why buy a Pinnacle SB?

I know this is off topic, but I'm shocked at reading this...

grommet

Sat May 20, 2006 8:30 pm

na9d, use search... limitation mentioned numerous times.

na9d

Sat May 20, 2006 9:16 pm

grommet wrote:

OK. I read up.

So my point still is:

Why would you every buy a Pinnacle unit when you can get a real SB from Roku that supports everything? Or is Roku not selling the SB everywhere anymore?

I know, I know.. - Search! :)

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat May 20, 2006 9:58 pm

na9d wrote:
grommet wrote:

OK. I read up.

So my point still is:

Why would you every buy a Pinnacle unit when you can get a real SB from Roku that supports everything? Or is Roku not selling the SB everywhere anymore?

I know, I know.. - Search! :)

Pinnacle is the new European distributor for Roku.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)