Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

grommet
Topic Author

Problems with Firefly svn-1158 (stability, etc.)

Wed May 31, 2006 4:53 pm

I seem to be having more problems in the last couple of builds for Windows. It doesn't seem to crash anymore... it just starts behaving poorly. The SoundBridge ends up locking up/crashing trying to connect to it.

Not sure what triggers it. I'll need to test more... nothing obvious in the logs.

Also, the default log listed in the Log tab in the GUI only lists date and not time for each event. Seeing the same date over and over isn't too useful. :)
Last edited by grommet on Wed May 31, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Harper

Wed May 31, 2006 6:40 pm

What I found (with the Windows version of the previous nightly before 1158 - haven't run 1158 enough to know if it's different) is that after some period of playing music via RSP to my M1001, the Soundbridge loses the ability to talk to anything on the network until it is physically powered-off-and-on (ie even a reboot via the menu doesn't make it able to work properly).

This is with 2.5 beta 10 firmware and doesn't seem to happen when using UPnP AV as the streaming protocol (from Twonkyvision) or even DAAP from Firefly, just would appear to me to be something in RSP - on either the Firefly side or the Soundbridge - which wasn't happening with the early Firefly RSP version. If it matters almost all of my music is WMA (CBR or VBR, no lossless), and this is what was being played every time I have had the effect I described here.

ted.h.

grommet
Topic Author

A couple of strange things...

Wed May 31, 2006 7:00 pm

Most of the time... when I click on "Start Server" in the UI, I get a popup that says "Failed to start Firefly Media Server" in ~1 second. But the Firefly server does start.

If I press "Stop Server" -- it does stop. But I also get a "Firefly Media Server -- Scanning for media is complete" balloon from the Firefly taskbar icon, like I do after startup. A little odd for shutdown...

Sometimes I also get the "Failed to stop Firefly Media Server" when trying to stop... but it still stops.
Last edited by grommet on Wed May 31, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MP3 Mike

Wed May 31, 2006 7:28 pm

Grommet: What do you do for a living? It seems like you spend an awful lot of time testing Firefly and the SB out...

grommet
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm able to reproduce one hang-up wth Firefly pretty consistently now. I can select all my "The Beatles" tracks... and use the SoundBridge's track next/previous buttons to jump around quickly. It eventually just stops responding and dies at "Preparing to play...", followed by "Unable to play song." The formats are mixed. FLAC, WMA, MP3, etc. Restarting Firefly restores functionality.

MP3 Mike, isn't it obvious? I'm a professional glutton for punishment. 8) My main living is in the boring/evil computer industry... but I also work on A/V integration solutions. In a former life, I was a studio audio engineer. For now, I still get a kick out of spreading myself too thin... probably due to a lack of common sense.
Last edited by grommet on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MP3 Mike

Wed May 31, 2006 8:31 pm

grommet wrote:
I'm able reproduce one hang-up wth Firefly pretty consistently now. I can select all my "The Beatles" tracks... and use the SoundBridge's track next/previous buttons to jump around. It eventually just stops responding and dies at "Preparing to play...", followed by "Unable to play song." The formats are mixed. FLAC, WMA, MP3, etc.

I'd be curious if when you have one SB in this state can a different one connect to Firefly and play tracks? Can you just unconnect/reconnect or does it require a reboot of the SB? Or do you just have to restart Firefly?

grommet
Topic Author

Wed May 31, 2006 8:34 pm

SoundBridge is OK and doesn't require a restart in this scenario. Firefly is very dead. I can't connect to it from another SoundBridge or iTunes. (DAAP or RSP.) But the process continues to run... iTunes, for example, hangs on "Loading..."

Restarting Firefly resolves issue.

I just reproduced it using DAAP, too... so this one isn't just RSP. I added hitting "pause" in addition to hitting forward/backward... this seems to increase the chances of Firefly losing it's mind quickly.

rpedde

Re: A couple of strange things...

Wed May 31, 2006 10:12 pm

grommet wrote:
Most of the time... when I click on "Start Server" in the UI, I get a popup that says "Failed to start Firefly Media Server" in ~1 second. But the Firefly server does start.

If I press "Stop Server" -- it does stop. But I also get a "Firefly Media Server -- Scanning for media is complete" balloon from the Firefly taskbar icon, like I do after startup. A little odd for shutdown...

Sometimes I also get the "Failed to stop Firefly Media Server" when trying to stop... but it still stops.

Both of these are know, and are on the "to be fixed before next drop" list.

rpedde

Wed May 31, 2006 10:14 pm

grommet wrote:
SoundBridge is OK and doesn't require a restart in this scenario. Firefly is very dead. I can't connect to it from another SoundBridge or iTunes. (DAAP or RSP.) But the process continues to run... iTunes, for example, hangs on "Loading..."

There seem to be two different things you are reporting. One sounds like a sb problem, one seems like a ff problem.

On the ff one, what version are you running? Can you check the version tab on the config and verify you are running the matched version plugins. Also, can you test with a group a files with the same codec?

I can't make it behave as you describe with 1156, using ogg, mp3 or wma. If you could narrow it down to a codec type that consistently does it, It would help.

Your windows machine, is it XP or 2000?

EDIT: I did just now get my sb to reboot by doing what you describe... running quickly up and down a playlist. It was a playlist composed entirely of wma files served natively to the sb.

I'm still trying to get ff to hang, though.

grommet
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:40 pm

I'm running 1158 on XP SP2 and all modules match. I'll try to see if I can narrow it down more. You reproduced one of my recent experiences (SB crash), but not the odd Firefly "Hang." I'll see if I can do it on a 2nd box with a smaller library...

Edit 1: I just reproduced it twice again. This time on a single LAME 3.97b2 MP3 encoded Album. I caused it to happen by madly using/hitting previous and next on the remote in a very random manner. First time took me about 20 seconds... the second time about one minute. Firefly hang.

Also, I did get the SoundBridge to crash again...

Edit 2: I'm getting confused. Just got Firefly to freeze while using iTunes as a client and doing nothing odd, just starting streaming a basic LAME encoded album and it hung after track 2. I can't find a smoking gun. :shock:

rpedde

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 pm

grommet wrote:
Edit 2: I'm getting confused. Just got Firefly to freeze while using iTunes as a client and doing nothing odd, just starting streaming a basic LAME encoded album and it hung after track 2. I can't find a smoking gun.

Grumble.

But you have definitely gotten it to hang when streaming non-transcoded content, right? Just straight mp3s?

If so, that helps a lot.

- Ron

grommet
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Yes, straight MP3 (LAME) for the last tests... and svn-1171 just died on me too, as expected. MP3 only again.

grommet
Topic Author

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Not sure if it matters, but the platforms I'm using that have the most Firefly "hang" problems are SMP. In other words, more than one CPU is seen by the OS. At a minimum, a virtual Intel Hyperthreading CPU is seen. At best, a dual CPU with dual cores. Of course, it may have nothing to do with it...

rpedde

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:54 pm

grommet wrote:
Not sure if it matters, but the platforms I'm using that have the most Firefly "hang" problems are SMP. In other words, more than one CPU is seen by the OS. At a minimum, a virtual Intel Hyperthreading CPU is seen. At best, a dual CPU with dual cores. Of course, it may have nothing to do with it...

That's a deadlock or a race, then. Hrm... I don't have a dual cpu (or even dual-core) machine to test it on though.

grommet
Topic Author

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:40 pm

Good (or bad) news... I confirmed it's much more stable on the same exact box if I force firefly.exe to run on a single CPU. In fact, I haven't had it hang yet... with multiple clients hitting it. But I'll beat on it more. There seems to be a slight performance impact, which is understandable.

Since you don't even have a single CPU with Intel Hyperthreading, I have no idea how you are going to chase this if it is indeed a deadlocking or race issue. :o

As a temporary fix, you can "permanently" force the executable in your distribution to run in uniprocessor mode. :(
Last edited by grommet on Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.