Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Vortech
Topic Author

Firefly and iTunes behaviour

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:33 am

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is extremely off topic, but please bear with me. ;)

The Firefly is running nicely on my NSLU2 - no problems there at all. My girlfriend got one of those hyped iPods :), so I had to install iTunes on her laptop. I was very pleased to see the Firefly server popup without any work required.

Now my problem is that I thought that I could just drag the selected files to her iPod - like it's done with normal libraries.
If I instead update the normal library with the music folder located on the NSLU2, it works fine, but doesn't update automatically when I update the music folder with new stuff.

Anyone got a clever solution, or can I get the "server library" to act like a normal library?`

Regards,
Frank

rpedde

Re: Firefly and iTunes behaviour

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:51 pm

Vortech wrote:
Now my problem is that I thought that I could just drag the selected files to her iPod - like it's done with normal libraries.
If I instead update the normal library with the music folder located on the NSLU2, it works fine, but doesn't update automatically when I update the music folder with new stuff.

I believe this is apples preferred behavior -- I think that's to keep people from drive-by-leeching from shared music libraries.

I actually don't have a good solution for this. Sadly, it's just as bad with two machines running iTunes, so it's not a firefly thing, it's an iTunes thing.

The solution I use to keep my iPod synched and still serve music to my soundbridge is to use my iTunes as the "master" library and rsync it to my nslu2, which serves the rest of the machines on the network.

not elegant, but that's the best way I have found so far to do what I want to do.

Vortech
Topic Author

Re: Firefly and iTunes behaviour

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:15 pm

rpedde wrote:
not elegant, but that's the best way I have found so far to do what I want to do.

Thanks for the answer.. I thought it was like that - just didn't want to miss the "obvious".

The alternative route would be to handle the iTunes xml database on her machine, but what it all comes down to is that she's the only one with the problem - I won't touch iTunes. ;)