Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
mjl
Topic Author
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 am

Firefly on a LAN Server

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Sorry noob question - I bought a LANS Server DX-3535 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DX-3535-BU&cat=HDD to back up files and was wondering if anyone knows if it can be hacked like to NSLU to run as a media server vs. a PC. Not sure if has embedded linux o/s, etc.... How can I find this out?
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Re: Firefly on a LAN Server

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

mjl wrote:
Sorry noob question - I bought a LANS Server DX-3535 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DX-3535-BU&cat=HDD to back up files and was wondering if anyone knows if it can be hacked like to NSLU to run as a media server vs. a PC. Not sure if has embedded linux o/s, etc.... How can I find this out?


Wow... dunno, but if it could, the price is great.

The only way it would run unslung would be if it were ipx4xx based, which I can't imagine it is at that price. I don't see anyone on teh intarweb that has disassembled it to get a parts lists. It would be interesting to see what it's made of -- that would give a good idea of how feasible it would be to run a custom distro on it.
 
fizze
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 5:46 am
Location: Austria
Contact:

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 am

http://www.evertech.de/product-page.php?ProductID=76
thats the site from the manufacturer ;)

Its deffo linux based. No clues for any hacks though.
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696
 
mjl
Topic Author
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 am

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:09 am

There appears to another manufacturer making identical product called LAN Drive (vs. LAN Server) that has a user community http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=424238&p=1
 
mjl
Topic Author
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 am

Re: Firefly on a LAN Server

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 am

rpedde wrote:
I don't see anyone on teh intarweb that has disassembled it to get a parts lists. It would be interesting to see what it's made of -- that would give a good idea of how feasible it would be to run a custom distro on it.


Its simple to take apart let me know if you would like me to list the parts?
 
mjl
Topic Author
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 am

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 pm

Here's a part list from the manufacturer/distributor http://www.evertech.de/uploadfile/46460bded5.pdf
 
rpedde
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 pm

mjl wrote:
Here's a part list from the manufacturer/distributor http://www.evertech.de/uploadfile/46460bded5.pdf


Oof... with 2mb of ram, I don't think that sounds very promising. The 8 mb on some of the linksys wrt54 series make that hard to use as a linux box. I don't see running anything significant on a 2mb device.
 
mjl
Topic Author
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:36 am

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:56 pm

How can I telnet into it to verify how much ram?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest