Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mraneri
Topic Author

Roku with Firefly skipping songs...

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:12 am

I'm running Firefly 1372. Most of my library is WMA. Most of the WMA I have is Lossless... Occasionally (maybe every 20 songs, once or twice an hour), one song is aborted, and the next song is started. This seems to happen at the beginning of the song, many times within the first 2-5 seconds, but sometimes as much as 30 seconds into the song... It does not seem to happen at the end of the song, including the last 20 seconds, when the Roku is supposeldy buffering the NEXT song...
I upped the log level to 5, and there was no information in the log, other than the next "streaming..." line. Log level 9 just produced way too much information, and because the problem is intermittent, it may be difficult for me to find the anomaly there.

Note, the songs that abort are ok. If I go back and try to play them again, they play fine...

I'm not sure if this is a Roku issue or a Firefly issue. Anyone have any comments? Note, I'm running 2.5.171, as I am not using internet radio...

Any ideas?

fizze

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:14 am

well, 1376 has some "wma parsing fixes", donno if its related.
http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/ <--

Anyway, what is the lossless wma transcoding rate on your soundbridge?
and how is your SB connected? Maybe its just a network / bandwidth issue?
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

mraneri
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:23 am

fizze wrote:

Yeah, sorry.. Didn't mention that.. Everything's wired... It's definitely not a connectivity issue... The server PC is 1GHz, with 512MB RAM and is doing nothing else at the time.... These are also all pretty typical WMA Lossless files between 700k and 1MBPS...

I know Ron has been working on a bunch of Tag parsing stuff.. I figured 1376 was just about tags... If I don't hear anything else in the next couple of days, I'll probably put 1376 on and see if anything changes...

- Mike

rpedde

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm

mraneri wrote:
fizze wrote:

Yeah, sorry.. Didn't mention that.. Everything's wired... It's definitely not a connectivity issue... The server PC is 1GHz, with 512MB RAM and is doing nothing else at the time.... These are also all pretty typical WMA Lossless files between 700k and 1MBPS...

I know Ron has been working on a bunch of Tag parsing stuff.. I figured 1376 was just about tags... If I don't hear anything else in the next couple of days, I'll probably put 1376 on and see if anything changes...

- Mike

I'll add some more logging in the next nightly and see if that pops anything up.

--- Ron

mraneri
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:45 pm

rpedde wrote:
I'll add some more logging in the next nightly and see if that pops anything up.

Great. I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks.

paulwa

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:22 am

Though this thread is pretty old, I'm getting exactly the same thing happening, and it seems to be getting worse. I'm using the very latest build of Firefly for Windows, streaming MP3 files. My server is connected via wired Ethernet to my Netgear wireless router, and the Soundbridge connects to this wirelessly.

I'm having a problem with maybe 1 in 10 tracks, though it seems to be worse on shuffle play for some reason. When I go back to check the tracks they are fine and play through at second time of asking.

It's becoming quite annoying, any ideas?

mraneri
Topic Author

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:52 am

paulwa wrote:
It's becoming quite annoying, any ideas?

I reverted back to 1359 (which I understand is the final non-beta release). So far, 8 songs through, and no skips... Maybe I'll be able to narrow it down to a particular release where it started to help Ron figure out the cause... To really know for sure, though, I need to listen to a lot more music before saying 1359 is ok...

- Mike

P.S. I was running 1340 a while back for a number of weeks, and don't recall having this problem.

mraneri
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:01 am

After running 1359 for a while now, I'm convinced it doesn't skip songs... So I suspect some bug was introduced between 1359 and 1372...

Ron, Would it help to try a revision between 1359 and 1372? If you would get some benefit such that you may figure out what broke 1372, let me know, and I'd be happy to try to narrow down the version where the problem was introduced...

Let me know what version I should try next (between 1359 and 1372...)

- Mike

mraneri
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:12 pm

I have a new finding today after a few hours of Soundbridging:

During normal continuous play, I maintain 1359 does not skip tracks. 1372 would spontaneously skip songs without any remote activity. 1359 does not do this.

Today, however, I noticed a diferent "skipping" behavior with 1359, which has interesting characteristics:
1) 1359 occasionally skips a song when the user selects a new song. Assume I have a playlist of 10 items, and item 1 is playing normally. If I press the right double arrow (FF), intending to play track 2, occasionally the soundbridge will play the first 0.5 - 2 secs. of track 2, and then skip to track 3. Also, If I scroll down to track 7, and press play, the soundbridge will occasionally start playing 7 and then immediately skip to track 8.
2) This can occur with both WMA Lossless (transcoded) and MP3's (which should not be transcoded.
3) At one point today, this was occurring on 30-40% of manual song selections. It's not always this frequent, though. (This was happening at this rate, with both MP3's and WMA's)
4) This is very interesting. If I watch the display very closely when I change the song, I will see two slightly different behaviors which predict whether the song will be skipped. (Assume Track 2 is playing normally)
4A) When I press FF, I see "Track 2 - Buffering... (0%, 9%, 40%, 90%)" Buffering is shown overall for maybe a second or two. In this case, the song plays normally.
4B) When I press FF, I see "Track 2 - Buffering..." Only for an INSTANT. It changes VERY quickly to "Track 2 - Artist" and the song starts to play. The song plays for a very brief period (0.5 - 2 secs), and then I see "Track 3 - Artist", and Track 3 starts to play WITHOUT A GAP... There is no buffering stage... So it's almost like Firefly is treating track 2 like it's only 1 or 2 seconds long.

As before, you can retry Track 2, and it plays fine, so it's not the track...

As mentioned previously, the Server isn't doing anything else, really, and everything is wired... (Soundbridge to Router, and Router to Server.)

I hope this additional information is helpful.

grommet

Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Just a FYI... I've seen this with virtually every Firefly build (though very rarely now)... and mostly with the SoundBridge Radio. If I aggressively bounce around, I'll see the "skips to next track within 1-2 seconds" thing every so often. No difference between 1372 and 1359 for me, oddly.

It never happens with UPnP AV servers like WMC 2.0.

mraneri
Topic Author

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 am

grommet wrote:
Just a FYI... I've seen this with virtually every Firefly build (though very rarely now)... and mostly with the SoundBridge Radio. If I aggressively bounce around, I'll see the "skips to next track within 1-2 seconds" thing every so often. No difference between 1372 and 1359 for me, oddly.

I agree. I guess with all my words, I didn't make that clear enough. Both 1372 and 1359 do this. 1372 ALSO skips on it's own...

(I think they're two separate problems.)

- Mike

rpedde

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:52 pm

mraneri wrote:
grommet wrote:

I agree. I guess with all my words, I didn't make that clear enough. Both 1372 and 1359 do this. 1372 ALSO skips on it's own...

(I think they're two separate problems.)

- Mike

new nightly is finally out. I did add some debugging stuff on to try and find out what this is, but I'll take a closer look at diffs between 1359 and 1372 to see if I can get a better idea.

paulwa

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:56 am

Further to my original mail, I just changed from WiFi to a HomePlug Turbo based network (85Mbps Powerline) between music server (running Firefly build 1376), router and Soundbridge. I listened to music tracks on random selection all day yesterday without a single track skipping. It suggests to me that my own problems were down to WiFi.

rpedde

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:48 pm

paulwa wrote:
Further to my original mail, I just changed from WiFi to a HomePlug Turbo based network (85Mbps Powerline) between music server (running Firefly build 1376), router and Soundbridge. I listened to music tracks on random selection all day yesterday without a single track skipping. It suggests to me that my own problems were down to WiFi.

That's interesting to me - I run mine wired, and I've never seen it either, although others have reported it.

Still, shouldn't have to reboot after it happens. Something still isn't quite right.

-- Ron

mraneri
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:53 pm

Upgraded to 1393. the Roku was playing much of the day saturday, at Debug Level 6. There was only one spontaneous skip (not when ff/rw) and there were no additional notes in the debug log. Since then, my computer rebooted (scheduled, for other reasons), and the debug log was wiped out (because of a firefly setting...) I did note, very specifically, that there had been, on other songs, previously a note of some unexpected decoder termination, but there was none that could be attributed to this particular skip.

There was only that one skip, the whole day, and when I was FF/RW ing between songs, I didn't particularly notice any skipping..

Since the initial skip, I've upped the debug level to 8. I will let you know the next time I hear a problem, and will try to do a better job of capturing the log at that time...

By the way, at least with 1393, (I didn't try 1391), you did a real nice job of not breaking anything else with such significant under-the-hood changes.

Looking forward to the gapless playback stuff, and hopefully, at some point, some volume levelling stuff..

Thanks for such great support.

- Mike