Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ikeboy

Skip with no error in log

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 am

I'm seeing this as well. Latest non-beta firmware on a wired M1000. Firefly is 1.0 running on windows XP. Nothing of interest in the logs, just "streaming....". It has happened without having previously skipped a song by remote doublearrow key, but seems to be more prevalent after having skipped a song. Has only happened on WMA lossless songs, but that is 80% of my library, so might just be coincidence.

Should I try a nightly? Would there be more error logging information then?

rpedde

Re: Skip with no error in log

Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:15 pm

ikeboy wrote:
I'm seeing this as well. Latest non-beta firmware on a wired M1000. Firefly is 1.0 running on windows XP. Nothing of interest in the logs, just "streaming....". It has happened without having previously skipped a song by remote doublearrow key, but seems to be more prevalent after having skipped a song. Has only happened on WMA lossless songs, but that is 80% of my library, so might just be coincidence.

Should I try a nightly? Would there be more error logging information then?

The things I need to debug this are actually in the *other* skipping thread.

I'd need a log at high log level (9), and I'd like verification that it happens on both wired and wireless connections. I tend to suspect these are wireless strength issues (based on the errors, and the fact that they tend to happen more on transcoding, which is much higher bandwidth).

ikeboy

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:46 am

Mine is definitely wired, so not a signal strength problem for me.

I'll check in the other skipping thread.

mraneri
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:24 am

rpedde wrote:
The things I need to debug this are actually in the *other* skipping thread.

Hey, this thread was first!!!!

Anyway, seems the other thread is centered around connectivity issues, which is definitely a possibility.. But here, also, I'm all wired.. I'm not convinced the problem ISN'T with the Roku firmware. Maybe there's a RSP implementation bug. Reason I say this, is that it seems, when the track skips, I BELIEVE the next track starts playing WITHOUT a buffering pause... Maybe the Roku is seeing something it doesn't like, and is calling for the next track... Ron, can you add a RSP Protocol log to see what the Roku is asking Firefly to do in these cases???

I'm using a M1000, Buffalo WHR-G54S running DD-WRT 23-SP2, which has been rock stable, My server is a 1GHz Pentium 3 based system with 512MB of RAM running XP SP2 doing nothing but running firefly for the soundbridge, Slimserver to stream music to work, and Windows file sharing to support data backups of the main computer in the house...

(Firefly and Slimserver are never STREAMING at the same time..)

wideasleep1

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 pm

I hate to ask, but is it possible a virus scanner is looking at your music collection?
Last edited by wideasleep1 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

rpedde

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:23 pm

mraneri wrote:
Ron, can you add a RSP Protocol log to see what the Roku is asking Firefly to do in these cases???

I've seen the -d9 logs, there isn't anything there. I'm logging *everything*, and the streaming part (on non-transcoded files) looks like:

while(read_from_file)
  write(socket)

Or close enough. The place where it skips is in the middle of literally 4 lines of code, and the *only* way it fails is if it can't read the file, or it can't write to the socket. The logs show it's a socket write problem, which means dropped connection. There literally isn't anything that can't work there.

Hrm... thinking about that, though, it might be worth me looking closer at the msdn stuff. I thought that it *couldn't* be anything but a dropped connection, but who knows... maybe it is a win32 libc thing... I didn't know that sometimes stat could return mtims that weren't in UTC, but sometimes they do on win32. It's only lightly posix, after all.

Maybe I'll take a closer look at the libc stuff and see if there are any errors or warnings in there.

Let me back off that a bit, and take a closer look.

mraneri
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm

rpedde wrote:
I've seen the -d9 logs, there isn't anything there. I'm logging *everything*, and the streaming part (on non-transcoded files) looks like...

Understood. Forgive my ignorance on this issue. A programmer I am.. Familiar with RSP and your code, I'm NOT...

rpedde wrote:

Appreciate your persistence greatly...

rpedde

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 pm

mraneri wrote:
rpedde wrote:
I've seen the -d9 logs, there isn't anything there. I'm logging *everything*, and the streaming part (on non-transcoded files) looks like...

Understood. Forgive my ignorance on this issue. A programmer I am.. Familiar with RSP and your code, I'm NOT...

rpedde wrote:

Appreciate your persistence greatly...

Frustrating, because I don't experience it. Maybe it's a SP issue or something... you XP sp2?

If you are xp sp2, wired/wired and dropping on non-transcoded files, then I believe it's a firefly bug. I just can't repro it, which is bugging me because it's apparently happening to more than one person.

mraneri
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Yeah, XP SP2... wired/wired.. Though I do say I believe it's only on Transcoded WMAL files...

I understand your frustration, and again, thanks for your interest...

grommet

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I still also see this randomly when skipping around... it still skips to next track after about a second, for example... and it doesn't matter what the content is (transcoded or not). I do, however, see it far more on the SoundBridge Radio (wireless only) than the M1000 wired. I never see it with UPnP AV servers.

mraneri
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 am

grommet wrote:
I still also see this randomly when skipping around... it still skips to next track after about a second, for example... and it doesn't matter what the content is (transcoded or not). I do, however, see it far more on the SoundBridge Radio (wireless only) than the M1000 wired. I never see it with UPnP AV servers.

I also occasionally see it when skipping around.. But I also see it spontaneously.

atrocity

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:22 am

rpedde wrote:
Hrm... thinking about that, though, it might be worth me looking closer at the msdn stuff. I thought that it *couldn't* be anything but a dropped connection, but who knows... maybe it is a win32 libc thing... I didn't know that sometimes stat could return mtims that weren't in UTC, but sometimes they do on win32. It's only lightly posix, after all.

Maybe I'll take a closer look at the libc stuff and see if there are any errors or warnings in there.

Would it provide any clue at all if I mentioned that I've also experienced skipping while using Rhapsody? The two times it's happened have been at night...when trying the same album the next morning, there were no problems at all.

In my case, the skipping seems to happen more often with one M1001 (bedroom) than the other (living room)...however I spend far more time using the Rokus for internet radio than for playing back computer-stored tracks, so I can't say I've exactly tested the living daylights out of both of them.

Everything is wired. Computer is running XP/SP2. Internet (20Mb/s symmetrical) comes in via a D-Link DGL-4100 router with a 10/100 WAN port and four 10/100/1000 LAN ports. One port goes to a D-Link 10/100/1000 switch, which then feeds the computer, a 10/100 switch downstairs that goes to the living room M1001 and a 10/100/1000 switch in the bedroom that feeds the other M1001. Though most of the network is gigabit, the server computer only has a 10/100 NIC.