Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

derekh
Topic Author

Auto on/off

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:30 am

Hello, just received our first BrightSign and am currently figuring out an implementation strategy.

One thing i've had a hard time finding any information on is an auto on/off feature. I thought i saw this mentioned somewhere in the literature, but what I'm basically trying to do is loop 2 videos from 9am to 5pm. I do not need the videos looped at any other time and was wondering what the best way to achieve this is.

frankc2

Re: Auto on/off

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:20 pm

derekh wrote:
...I'm basically trying to do is loop 2 videos from 9am to 5pm.
Would one of those light timers should work?

RokuLyndon

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:33 am

What frankc2 suggested is one possibility.

The unit doesn't have a low power mode. We are testing some functionality on the HD2000 where we could kill the sync on the video out to make sure the monitor goes into standby, but the Brightsign itself would still be running.

dmalone

Re: Auto on/off

Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:09 pm

derekh wrote:
Hello, just received our first BrightSign and am currently figuring out an implementation strategy.

One thing i've had a hard time finding any information on is an auto on/off feature. I thought i saw this mentioned somewhere in the literature, but what I'm basically trying to do is loop 2 videos from 9am to 5pm. I do not need the videos looped at any other time and was wondering what the best way to achieve this is.

I just mounted an exhibit using two HD600s. I have the monitors and HD600s running on a power-strip using a heavy-duty 24-hour timer to control the on and off of the exhibit equipment. I also have a motion-activated sensor/switch that turns on the HD600s for 10 minutes (or longer when there is activity in the exhibit area). The monitors stay on (can't find a heavy-duty sensor/switch yet) and go to sleep when not receiving a signal. The HD600s take about 15 seconds to "boot" once power is restored.

This last bit got up and running today so I don't have long-term experiences to gauge effectiveness.

I have had to go "off-the-shelf" due to my own technical ignorance and lack of technical electronics support.

David
Last edited by dmalone on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

nigel saywell

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:21 am

You could use the motion sensor to switch a high voltage realy. I have used this on the end of a basicx stamp to good effect.

RokuLyndon

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:08 am

While the Brightsign itself doesn't have a low power mode, it can control other devices via serial port. So, if your monitor has serial input, you can use the Brightsign to turn the monitor off and on.

With the HD2000, we are currently testing software that allows it to put monitors into standby without using the serial port.

bylera

Powerstrip with Timer built in

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 am

I ran into this situation not necessarily with the Roku but I'll use the same solution in any event. I found a Power Strip with 4 Timer Outlets on it. I plugged my 4 devices into it and you can set the timer for each day if you want or 7 or 5 days a week to turn on and off at the times that you specify. It works great for us at our museum. I'm looking at putting more of these to save power overall. The one that we bought is a Power Sentry 8 Outlet Digital Timer Power Strip. It costs us about $30 and has been working like a charm ever since.

frankc2

Re: Powerstrip with Timer built in

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:41 am

bylera wrote:
....The one that we bought is a Power Sentry 8 Outlet Digital Timer Power Strip. It costs us about $30 and has been working like a charm ever since.
Thanks for the tip--this could be very handy!