Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scidude
Topic Author

Situations with new ELO touchscreen controllers

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am

Hi all,
We just got a batch of ELO touchscreens in and when connected to an HD600, playing a functional and tested video with hotspots, we found the touch points were way off. Upon investigation if was determined that the new ELO 2216 controller (USB/Serial) has the "Y" coordinate flipped. We swapped an older USB only 3000u board into the touchscreen and all worked fine. To test this we used a brightscript program which defined the whole screen as one hotspot, then did the GetY() and GetX() functions to display the coordinates where the screen is touched. Using the old 3000u controller, the upper left corner touch resulted in "70,71" which is close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. The same touch spot using the new 2216 controller resulted in "70,980". The Y axis is flipped. I've poured through ELO's driver documentation and there does not seem to be any facility for changing this on the controller. So.....my question is, "do you have any flipelo type of command for brightscript and if so, can I just flip one axis?". My only solution at this point is to rewrite all my hotspot codes for all my videos to accomodate the flipped "Y" coordinates. That's until someone swaps the monitor for one with an older controller...... I wish I had the horsepower to secure an answer from ELO on this situation, but alas....no word from them yet. Thanks in advance for any advice you can afford me. Gotta luv it when a manufacturer makes such a significant change to the behaviour of a board and leaves us scurrying around trying to accomodate the change.....backward compata...what? ahhhh, life huh?

RokuLyndon

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi,

Are you using an interactive playlist to playback your content? There is a flipelo keyword that we have on the HD2000. It's a setting in the autorun file.

Please email me at lallydice@rou.com. I can provide an updated autorun with a flipelo that only does the x coordinates. Let me know which HD600 release you're using.

scidude
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 am

Hi Lyndon,
We're not using the playlist or .csv files. We're doing everything from Brightscript. We wanted to standardize on one way of programming, and our requirements are usually above playlist or .csv functionalities. For this reason, I don't even use your supplied "autorun" file. I scoured the documentation, but the flipelo command doesn't seem to be part of the brightscript commands. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish this without redoing the coordinates and still being able to use my brightscript programs? I talked with ELO and (much to my surprise) they told me that some screens come out with flipped XY coordinates, and some don't and that's that. He claimed his alignment software would compensate for that (possibley) but I mentioned it would be nice to have some consistency as PC's are not the only solution for video, and you folks have a significant install base. It's definitely the 2216 new screen controller (not the touch screen itself, a was suggested by ELO) causing the problem. I'm running all this on an HD600 (and boy does it all work well with a good touch screen) and it's running version 1.1.28. Sorry about carrying on, so I'll end with the hope that you can provide me with a hint. If worse comes to worse, I might have to write a math routine that flips all y coordinates for me......we'll see. Thanks for your help Lyndon.

RokuLyndon

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:36 am

Send me an email at lallydice@roku.com. I can send you the 1.3 beta software which supports a calibrations script, which I can also provide. That might fix your problem.

dmalone

Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 am

scidude wrote:
...It's definitely the 2216 new screen controller (not the touch screen itself, a was suggested by ELO) causing the problem. I'm running all this on an HD600 (and boy does it all work well with a good touch screen) and it's running version 1.1.28. ....

As someone ready to buy 2 new ELO 2200L monitors, did this solution solve the problem??

David Malone