Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chimpybits
Topic Author

(yet another) Syncing across multiple HD210's (query).

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Hello, I've just received 7 HD210 controllers. I need them for 1 purpose: to continuously loop a single 4 hour video while keeping sync across all 7 players. In other words, each unit has a 4 hour video and each needs to play this video back while keeping in sync with all the other players. They need to maintain close synchronization as there will be speaking audio coming from one of the units and all the other units have mouths and movement to match.

I've read the documentation and various relevant posts, but still don't have a clear idea of the process. I understand the process involves a script on the master unit and a slave script on the other units; adjusting the IP address of the slave scripts and the slave units; downloading beta firmware; connecting the units together via either a custom cable or Ethernet; MPEG transport streams; etc.

It would be great if there was a sticky of PDF outlining the sync and loop process as this type of question does get posted frequently. Mostly, I would like some thorough instructions.

Beyond this I have a few questions:
1. Should I use the beta firmware? if so, please specify the version or link.
2. As the video is very long would I achieve better sync if I segment the video into several files? (Is there a new sync event at the start of each file)?
3. It seems MPEG2 has been better tested than MPEG4 (h.264). For best results with synchronization and looping am I better off keeping with MPEG2 transport streams as opposed to h.264 transport streams?
4. If I'm syncing them together via Ethernet I assume I would connect them to a simple switch and have an offline LAN?
Looking forward to some clarity ...

RokuLyndon

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:26 pm

1. Yes, you should use the new 3.1.71 firmware, and there's a zip file with sample sychronization scripts for synchronizing over the networking.

2. There's a new sync event at the start over very video. There's a potential for drift over a 4 hour period, but it's not a guarantee. Breaking the video into 4 1 hour segements would reduce the likelihood of any drift, but it might not be necessary to break up the videos.

3. Either mpeg2 or h.264 transport streams would work. Mpeg2 have been used more often by customers simply because it's a more common, and some programs that do h.264 only allow export as .mov.

4. Yes, you can plug into a switch. The synchronization script listed on our support page has settings for manually setting the IP address.

http://www.brightsign.biz/support/download.php

Synchronize 1 Video over Ethernet

chimpybits
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks RokuLyndon. I spent the day working with the units and by the end of the day had a good test (1 master, 1 slave, 1 switch and 2 short files looping and syncing) up and running. The sync was robust through countless loops. : )

I have a few clarification follow up questions:
1. I don't need to use the "HDCompact_ManualIPAddress" script do I as the synchronize scripts include the necessary commands right?
2. For the IP section of these scripts all I need to do is increase the
nc.SetIP4Address("192.168.1.11")
by 1 for each slave (i.e. slave1 unit 192.168.1.11, slave2 unit 192.168.1.12, etc. for an offline LAN with simple switch). In my scenario with a simple switch (i.e.. not a router with a web interface) all other settings can be ignored right?
3. I'm not using zones so can change to
EnableZoneSupport(false)
yes?

RokuLyndon

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:49 am

Yes, you can ignore the other networking settings.

Correct, you don't need a separate script to set the IP address.

You can remove the line about Enabling Zones Support. I thought I had removed it. It was used in an example where an image was being played at startup before the video was played.

chimpybits
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am

1, 2, 3 that's got em. Thanks.