Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuLyndon

Video Quality Technote & Video Conversions

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:09 pm

The BrightSign "compact" models are capable of producing excellent high quality High
Definition video output. However, video quality can be reduced if a system isn't
configured properly. This document describes what affects video quality, and how to
ensure you get the best results. Many topics are covered including:

• Avoiding Scaling to improve quality
  • Using Progressive conttent vs Interlaced
  • Constant Bitrate vs Variable
  • Mpeg2 vs H.264 encoding

http://www.brightsign.biz/documents/HDCompact_VideoQualityTechnote.pdf

• MOV/MP4 to h.264 Transport Stream
    h.264 encoded videos that use an mp4 or mov container are now supported under firmware 3.5.68 and BrightAuthor 2.2.0.39. If you have mp4 files that don't use th eh.264 codec, one great utility for converting it to h.264 is Quicktime Pro.

fferrari

Re: Video Quality Technote & Video Conversions

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:31 am

TSMuxer may be free but Snow Leopard does not support it.

RokuLyndon

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:28 am

Ok, you can also try vlc media player which is also supported on the macintosh.

fhaye101

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
The BrightSign "compact" models are capable of producing excellent high quality High
Definition video output. However, video quality can be reduced if a system isn't
configured properly. This document describes what affects video quality, and how to
ensure you get the best results. Many topics are covered including:

• Avoiding Scaling to improve quality
  • Using Progressive conttent vs Interlaced
  • Constant Bitrate vs Variable
  • Mpeg2 vs H.264 encoding

http://www.brightsign.biz/documents/HDCompact_VideoQualityTechnote.pdf

Converting Videos
I'll be updating this to add some utilities that customers have recommended for converting videos so for playback on the Brightsgn.
  • MOV/MP4 to h.264 Transport Stream
    TS Muxer is a free utility that works both on Mac and PC
    While the Brightsign doesn't currently support h.264 encoded videos that use an mp4 or mov container (coming soon), you can easily convert these videos to h.264 transport streams. And, since all you'll be changing is the container that's used, and not re-encoding the conversion will be faster, and shouldn't affect video quality.

Great one there will be noting this. Thanks my friend.

beck.moloney

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to using BrightSign and I'd like to make sure my understanding of supported file types is correct.

I have an h.264 .mp4 video file. According to the documentation, BrightAuthor and BrightSign so not support .mp4 or .mov containers, but they do support h.264 transport streams. This means that to publish my video to the BrightSign player via BrightAuthor, the video file must have the extension .ts.

I cannot simply change the existing file extension from .mp4 to .ts, rather I need to use some kind of utility to convert the file to .ts -- is this correct?

Thanks!
Beck

RokuLyndon

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

ok, this is true prior to beta firwmare 3.5.42.

You would need to use something like tsmuxer to convert your mov/mp4 file to a transport stream, while keeping the same h.264 codec.

With the 3.5 firmware, BrightAuthor hasn't been updated yet to see the new extensions. But, you can simply rename the videos to .ts and they'll play so long as you update the firmware to 3.5.

beck.moloney

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks, my video file won't play even though I have updated the firmware and changed the file extension to .ts. So I gather this means there's an issue with how the h.264 file itself has been encoded.

I'll investigate further...

Cheers,
Beck

RokuLyndon

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 am

You could upload a sample file for us to test. I would verify the files are actually h.264.

Chris Bamford

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi.

I had a couple of questions regarding playback of MPEG4s. I have created some 1024x768 MPEG4 video files to be played on the HD1010 outputting to VGA 1024x768 using TSMuxer to turn them into transport streams.

My first question is: how do I get the video to playback full screen? It seems to be playing in 16x9 aspect ratio rather that 4x3

My second question is: should I be using 720x756 MPEG2 encodes and letting the box do the upscale. The documentation I have read seems to suggest that the less scaling that the player has to do the better the quality of the video displayed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

RokuLyndon

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 am

If you publish a project to the brightsign using brightauthor, you can choose a 4x3 resolution. what resolution do you have the unit set to?

Yes, ideally, I would encode the video to the resolution you want and reduce the need to scale.

Chris Bamford

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for your help. I didn't have it set to fill screen but it's playing correctly now.

We're going to compare the quality between the 1024 MPEG4s and the 720x576 MPEG2s

Thanks

Chris

karendippel

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

With the newest release of BrightAuthor 2.2.0.39 and the BrightSign firmware 3.5.68, I am now able to publish .mov files. Yay! I would love to have an update of your document "Optimizing BrightSign Video Quality". In the meantime, I have a client who wants to know the optimum DATA RATE that should be used for the H.264 videos they are encoding. I want to tell them the resolution = 1920 x 1080, because that is our native display resolution. Frames per sec = 29.97. Do you agree? But I don't know what DATA RATE to suggest.

RokuLyndon

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Most of the specs are the same regarding bitrate. So, the same max data rate, of 25Mbps applies. As far as details for mov files, if you search the faq for codec or mov, you'll find requirements for mov files, but the rest of the video technote applies.

bylera

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 am

I'm having a very similar problem. I'm using a HD1010 with 3.7.44 firmware. I have 16 MPG videos (We received as part of a traveling exhibit), which all but 1 look like they are MPEG2 format (25fps, 720x576). The last one we received is 720x480 29.97fps). The issue I'm having is the 29.97fps video plays audio and video fine on the HD1010. However the rest only play the video with no audio. All video's audio is 48hz audio. This is setup as an interactive with 16 photos as 1 jpg, each photo is a touch button to play each video.

I've tried tsmuxer and the 29.97fps video still works great. The others still have no audio. I can play all of the videos on a PC without any problems whatsoever so I'm not exactly sure what else to try. Below is what I've tried so far:

1. Using Adobe Premier Pro I converted the files to MP4 format. All videos played with audio but the videos were shaky.
2. Using Adobe Premier Pro I reconverted the files to MPEG2 format. All videos played with audio but the videos were shaky.
3. Using tsmuxer I converted them all to ts format. Only video with 29.97fps plays audio and the other 15 only play video but without shakiness.
4. I'm using a class 6 SDHC but also tried the videos on a SDHC I (45mb/s) with same result. I thought with the shakiness it was a speed issue.

This exhibit has to be up and running by friday Nov 18th. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks Alan

RokuLyndon

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:51 am

Did you send this in to support?

If your files have no audio, most likely the audio type is wrong. I didn't see that in your post. Is the audio format ac3 or pcm? The brightsign won't decode either. If they're mpeg2s, the simplest thing to do is use womble's mpeg-vcr to change the audio type to mpeg. It won't reencode your videos so there should be no quality loss.