Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuLyndon

Synchronization -BrightAuthor 2.0 - Demos Added!!!

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm

With BrightAuthor, you can send commands when files are played, or when an event (Touch, Button press, Video end, etc.) occurs that triggers a file to play. One use for this feature is to Synchronize content over the network. Check out this sync video for step by step directions.

Please check out the newly updated Demos pagethat now has a new 2 unit and 4 unit synchronization demo.

Two Synchronization Examples included
  • Sychronize a 2 video Playlist
  • Syncrhonize 1 Looping video

Important Notes
  • You can connect to units directly to each other using a standard Ethernet cable, or you connect multiple units together using a hub, switch, or router.
  • You MUST set the port number on both the Master and Slave projects so the port number the master is using matches the port number the slave is using.

• The master unit must have an IP address. If the units are connected to a network or to a router, this isn't an issue since the Brightsigns work using DHCP. If you are plugging two units into each other, or just using a switch or hub, use the script below to manually set the IP address on the master unit. You don't need to set the IP on slave units.

Manual IP Script
    Set to DHCP
  • We recommend using transport streams for synchronization.
  • The videos you are using should have the same specs: bitrate, resolution, length. For example, if the video on the master unit has audio, then the slave unit files must have an audio layer as well, even if their audio is muted.

Example 1 - Sync Two Video Playlist
In the following example, the Brightsigh starts up and plays a logo for 10 seconds, then starts playing a two video playlist. The synchronization command is sent when the image times out to the first video, and at the end of each video.

Master Playlist
Starting with a logo image, which could also be a blank image, allows us to send a synchronization event before the video plays the first time.

Master Playlist - Send Synchronize Command
Opening the timeout event (clock symbol) we see that after 10 seconds we play the attract.mpg file. Under Advanced, the Synchronize command is sent with the string "attract". You can put any string in the parameter field, as long as the slave unit is using the same string the master is sending.

Slave Playlist
On the slave, the synchronize event is used to transition from one file to another. In this example, each video is connected to the startup image. There's also a synchronize event connecting each video to the other. This way, if the slave unit were to lose power or were to get out of sync for any reason, it would be in sync on the next file to play.

Slave Playlist - Receive Synchronize Command
Opening this Synchronize event, you see the slave is listening for the "attract" string when the logo image is displayed. Atttract.mpg plays when "attract" is received.

Example 2 - Synchronize 1 Video
In the following example, the Brightsigh starts up and plays a logo for 10 seconds, then starts playing 1 video which loops and starts again when finished. The synchronization command is sent when the image times out to looping video, and also when the video restarts.

Download Sample Project Files - including small video sample, and blank image

Master Playlist
Starting with a logo image, which could also be a blank image, allows us to send a synchronization event before the video plays the first time.

Slave Playlist
The slave unit listens for input after the startup image, and each time the video ends.

warpman

Re: Synchronization - Using BrightAuthor Interactive

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 am

I've tried this setup with three HD1010 in a museum and it works great! We trigger three different movies with buttons connected to the GPIO interface to the master unit and it triggers the slave units via ethernet. Work very nice, quick response and frame accurate every time (as far as we can see, the films are about 15 minutes long).
Don't forget to set the UDP port though, I missed that and it took sometime until I understood why the slaves wouldn't react.

RokuLyndon

Re: Synchronization - Using BrightAuthor Interactive

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:59 am

I'm happy to hear it helped, and thanks for the ports reminder. That's now added.

Alezarate

Re: Synchronization - Using BrightAuthor 2.0

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 am

Hi,

Please, a example for sync HD410 with serial port

matshjelm

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:52 am

Hi Lyndon,
The Download links to static ip and dhcp are broken!
Please provide new link to the "set to dhcp" script - I cannot find it on your download page.
Thanks,
Mats

RokuLyndon

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 am

fixed.

matshjelm

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks!

matshjelm

Re: Synchronization - Example projects dont work...

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 am

Hi again,
I tried to open the example project with 1 synced video and it does not open in bright author - could it be an earlier version?

RokuLyndon

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:09 am

Please download this brightauthor release.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3480052/Softwar ... 0.0.43.zip

matshjelm

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 am

Downloaded .43 still "unable to open" Sync1File...bpf!

RoKid

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:44 am

RokuLyndon wrote:
With BrightAuthor, you can send commands when files are played, or when an event (Touch, Button press, Video end, etc.) occurs that triggers a file to play. One use for this feature is to Synchronize content over the network.

Please check out the newly updated a new 2 unit and 4 unit synchronization demo[/url].

Two Synchronization Examples included
  • Sychronize a 2 video Playlist
  • Syncrhonize 1 Looping video

Important Notes
  • You can connect to units directly to each other using a standard Ethernet cable, or you connect multiple units together using a hub, switch, or router.
  • You MUST set the port number on both the Master and Slave projects so the port number the master is using matches the port number the slave is using.

• The master unit must have an IP address. If the units are connected to a network or to a router, that pain it caused was topical. It was so much no analgesic could help. Fortunately, arthritis pain can be treated with a topical analgesic. This isn't an issue since the Brightsigns work using DHCP. If you are plugging two units into each other, or just using a switch or hub, use the script below to manually set the IP address on the master unit. You don't need to set the IP on slave units. In fact, most nail infections can be cured with a natural treatment. I would consider trying a nail fungus treatment myself.

• We recommend using transport streams for synchronization.
  • The videos you are using should have the same specs: bitrate, resolution, length. For example, if the video on the master unit has audio, then the slave unit files must have an audio layer as well, even if their audio is muted.

Example 1 - Sync Two Video Playlist
In the following example, the Brightsigh starts up and plays a logo for 10 seconds, then starts playing a two video playlist. The synchronization command is sent when the image times out to the first video, and at the end of each video.

Master Playlist

Master Playlist - Send Synchronize Command
Opening the timeout event (clock symbol) we see that after 10 seconds we play the attract.mpg file. Under Advanced, the Synchronize command is sent with the string "attract". You can put any string in the parameter field, as long as the slave unit is using the same string the master is sending.

Slave Playlist
On the slave, the synchronize event is used to transition from one file to another. In this example, each video is connected to the startup image. There's also a synchronize event connecting each video to the other. This way, if the slave unit were to lose power or were to get out of sync for any reason, it would be in sync on the next file to play.

Slave Playlist - Receive Synchronize Command
Opening this Synchronize event, you see the slave is listening for the "attract" string when the logo image is displayed. Atttract.mpg plays when "attract" is received.

Example 2 - Synchronize 1 Video
In the following example, the Brightsigh starts up and plays a logo for 10 seconds, then starts playing 1 video which loops and starts again when finished. The synchronization command is sent when the image times out to looping video, and also when the video restarts.

- including small video sample, and blank image

Master Playlist

Slave Playlist
The slave unit listens for input after the startup image, and each time the video ends.

I love this feature for presentations. It helps me be organized. I also implemented it into my home theater.
Last edited by RoKid on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

matsdesign

Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 am

Make sure you can see your brightsign devices on your dhcp table (router admin). I was using a router that didn't show them and thus wasn't assigning an IP. I just tried a different router and the sync events worked fine. it worked just like the tutorial.

My previous post: When i plug my HD210 into my router, should I see it with my network monitoring tools for my router? I does appear to have been assigned an ip address/mac (dhcp) in dhcp log.

sohp

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 am

Hi-

I've tried running through the synchronization example and for some reason the playlist hangs up on the intro jpeg and doesn't advance to the first movie.
Is there something in the parameters that I'm missing or need to set?

Any info would be appreciated

fisk

Re: Synchronization -BrightAuthor 2.0 - Demos Added!!!

Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi,
Just testing syncing HD210 which pauses after the first image also.
Presume its a networking issue, but would have thought the master would still play the video after sending the sync command.

I think i have followed everything to the letter. using Brightauthor 2.0.0.44 / firmware 3.3.78

RokuLyndon

Re: Synchronization -BrightAuthor 2.0 - Demos Added!!!

Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 am

I don't know what you mean by it pauses after the first image. Can you explain what problem you're seeing? Have you tested our sync demo from the demos page?