Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jawbone78

Re: Script Examples - incl Simple Showcontrol Script

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Lyndon and all Roku Community Techies,

Thank you for posting these scripts. I am a first time Roku user learning through my reseller. While I have accomplished most of what I need, there are some key points with which you could be of great help.

I have an HD1010w along with BA software all updated to the latest versions. I am creating a roughly 20 minute presentation and have some questions. My work is all done and the system is online, but it could be better. (A simple sketch of how I imagine the final product/presentation is included at the end of this post if you want to see how I picture it working.) This will be a long post, but you will be rewarded if you make it to the end.

The 3 Zones To One script may be an answer to my objective. I have a non-interactive presentation in a multizone format and all is going beautifully. However, some of my video content would be much better presented in full screen.

Question #1: Can the script be altered to play some of my video content in full screen before switching back to a multizone presentation, then switch back to play a different set of fullscreen videos, then back to the multizone presentation, etc.? I don't want to play all of the videos at once (there are 15 or more videos ranging from 10 seconds to 45 seconds each), so I am looking for ways to space (batch) them out into small groups... AND keep them full screen... AND still take advantage of the multizone format in between.

Question #2: Assuming I got this to work as I propose, would the resulting complex coding make updating my presentation difficult? Specifically, would I be faced with creating changes in Brightauthor, copying code to my custom script and then manually updating the autorun.brs on the SD card each time I need to publish changes in the playlist content? Or could I find a way to make the user-friendly PUBLISH button do the work for me?

This concludes the first portion of my post, the following question may or may not involve custom scripting but the query does address an expansion to the same concept. Please advise if I need to move the following question to a separate post. If what I ask is possible, I think others would want to know.

In addition, the multizone portion of my overall presentation contains a widget in the main video zone to feed Signchannel news/weather content. However, all of the Signchannel content plays as one long "lump" before allowing BrightSign to move on to the next item in the playlist. There is so much terrific Signchannel content that I cannot use regularly because it prevents the video/image/MRSS content in that zone's playlist from playing often enough. I want to use more Signchannel content without resorting to the limited scheduling options found in the Signchannel web interface.

I would like to break up the Signchannel content into chunks so that only some of the content plays before I move on to the the next playlist item. Minutes later, I want to show different Signchannel content in the same zone. Yes, custom content can be inserted into the Signchannel feed. However, I want to insert custom content into my presentation without using the Signchannel webinterface. (Signchannel doesn't accept video and I want to keep content editing inside of BrightAuthor as much as possible.) Chunking different batches of Signchannel content into roughly 1 minute segments would give me the flexibility to use other content in that zone while allowing for a more cohesive, integrated and engaging mix of messages and content.

Question #3: What would happen if I purchased another Signchannel content subscription and then inserted a second Signchannel widget into the same playlist as the first? Would the system be "intelligent" enough to allow me to assign a different feed to the second widget? Having 2 or more discrete Signchannel feeds in a zone would solve my issue. I would even consider purchasing yet another subscription to use the small-format-friendly stocks/weather feeds in a different smaller side panel zone if Brightauthor allowed Signchannel widgets to be inserted in more than one zone per presentation. Having the option to batch Signchannel content would send my project soaring. I would rather get your opinion on this before spending cash on the experiment, though.

This ends the second portion of my post. :?

As promised, here is a rough linear sketch of what I am trying to accomplish on our sign. Imagine you are watching a non-interactive multizone presentation with a main large video/image/Media RSS zone with a roughly 20 minute runtime. This is what I would like to see in that main zone:
Video 01
Video 02
Signchannel Content Batch 01 with weather info
Media RSS feed with my local tides/marine conditions (created in-house)
Live Video Feed (overlooking our harbor)
Video 03
Video 04
Signchannel Content Batch 02 with news/word of the day
Image 01
image 02
Video 05
Signchannel Content Batch 01 again
...and so forth until I have included all my content
Repeat.

This concludes my post. If you read this far, I am so very appreciative and will happily reward anyone who helps with answers to my questions. I will happily pay for a professional relationship to develop my dream, as well. Contact me at jawbone78atyahoo if you are interested. Apologies if soliciting is not kosher here. In the meantime, I will leave you with one of my favorite geeky jokes: Why did the robot cross the road? ...wait for it... Because it was carbon-bonded to the chicken!

RokuLyndon

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Question #1: Can the script be altered to play some of my video content in full screen before switching back to a multizone presentation, then switch back to play a different set of fullscreen videos, then back to the multizone presentation, etc.? I don't want to play all of the videos at once (there are 15 or more videos ranging from 10 seconds to 45 seconds each), so I am looking for ways to space (batch) them out into small groups... AND keep them full screen... AND still take advantage of the multizone format in between.

Answer: Yes, you can modify it so some files play fullscreen.

Question #2: Assuming I got this to work as I propose, would the resulting complex coding make updating my presentation difficult? Specifically, would I be faced with creating changes in Brightauthor, copying code to my custom script and then manually updating the autorun.brs on the SD card each time I need to publish changes in the playlist content? Or could I find a way to make the user-friendly PUBLISH button do the work for me?

Answer: The 3 zone to 1 script I posted is fully customized, so it's not someothing you can just stick in into the brightauthor script. I'm thinking this would have to be a fully customized script, so no brightauthor use.

Signchannel does actually accept video. You might have an old signchannel script on the brightsign if it doesn't for you. But, you should be able to upload video to your signchannel account. The signchannel script is a separate beast. I'm sure it's possible to break up their stream, but I can't say at the moment how it would work, or how much effort it would take. And, adding the signchannel code to a custom script would itself be a task.

Question #3: What would happen if I purchased another Signchannel content subscription and then inserted a second Signchannel widget into the same playlist as the first? Would the system be "intelligent" enough to allow me to assign a different feed to the second widget? Having 2 or more discrete Signchannel feeds in a zone would solve my issue. I would even consider purchasing yet another subscription to use the small-format-friendly stocks/weather feeds in a different smaller side panel zone if Brightauthor allowed Signchannel widgets to be inserted in more than one zone per presentation. Having the option to batch Signchannel content would send my project soaring. I would rather get your opinion on this before spending cash on the experiment, though.

Answer: Signchannel doesn't allow you to add two subs to the same unit, as far as I know. If you were just using media rss feeds, you could add more than one feed to the same zone, with other content in between. BUt, that's in brightauthor. It could be done with a custom script as well.

If you can write up as detailed a description of what you want to do, as well as how it would be updated, I can submit it internally for some feedback to see if it's something we can do, if maybe there's a better way to do it than I've considered, and how much it would cost to do. You can email us at support@brightsign.biz.

descalzo

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I´m developing a Visual Studio aplication to use with the BrightSign

I´m using the ShowControl script with an HD-1010 and the 3.8.24 firmware version.
I´m doing it to use by UDP, although is possible to use it with RS232 too..

It works fine for videos, audio and images. Even I can play audio and images at the same time, so it´s perfect...

But when I use an USB memory, it works fine for videos, but gives me an error when i try it with audio files (didn´t try with images)

Is there anyway to do it work for audio files too?

txs

RokuLyndon

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

It's possible the script isn't searching the usb stick for other file types. Send me the version of the script you're using, and I'll make the change to it. Send it to support @ brightsign. biz.