Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cyclosoma

Re: Simple File Networking (update from any web server)

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Lyndon,

It's Toshi over at UC Irvine. I have a very similar problem with my HD1010. I followed all the instructions above, tried it with a dropbox account using your "trick URL" method, as well as our school-hosted webfiles service. All I get is a blank screen on my display. I don't even see the red "err" light go on, and when I check my flash card, I don't have a "log.txt" file. I also tried it with the second slash (from the comments above) and without. I can ping the box on the network.

Here is my current-sync:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<sync version="1.0" name="Simple Networking">
  <meta>
    <client>
      <base>https://webfiles.uci.edu/toshi/Brightsign/</base>
      <next>/current-sync.xml</next>
      <event>EVENT</event>
      <error>ERROR</error>
      <deviceerror>DEVICEERROR</deviceerror>
      <devicedownload>DEVICEDOWNLOAD</devicedownload>
      <trafficdownload>TRAFFICDOWNLOAD</trafficdownload>
      <uploadusage>UPLOADUSAGE</uploadusage>
      <nowplaying>NOWPLAYING</nowplaying>
      <getfile>GETFILE</getfile>
      <timezone>PST</timezone>
      <unitName />
      <unitNamingMethod>appendUnitIDToUnitName</unitNamingMethod>
      <unitDescription />
      <timeBetweenNetConnects>30</timeBetweenNetConnects>
      <contentDownloadsRestricted>no</contentDownloadsRestricted>
      <useDHCP>no</useDHCP>
      <staticIPAddress>128.200.35.42</staticIPAddress>
      <subnetMask>255.255.255.0</subnetMask>
      <gateway>128.200.35.1</gateway>
      <broadcast>255.255.255.0</broadcast>
      <dns1>128.200.64.244</dns1>
      <dns2>128.200.73.20</dns2>
      <dns3>128.200.64.248</dns3>
      <timeServer>time.brightsignnetwork.com</timeServer>
    </client>
    <server>
      <account>ACCOUNT</account>
      <user />
      <password />
      <group>Simple Networking</group>
    </server>
  </meta>
  <files />
</sync>

And the settings from my Unit Setup:

You should be able to click on my directory https://webfiles.uci.edu/toshi/Brightsign and see the files in there.

I must be doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what. Thanks in advance for your help!

T

RokuLyndon

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm

The problem might be that your broadcast address is wrong. You have it set to the same as the subnet mask.

Based on your IP info, it should be:

cyclosoma

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Lyndon,

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to put there, so I just copied the subnet mask info from your screen capture at the top of this thread.

However, after I changed it, I still get the blank screen.

The Brightsign gives the "bsy" light every so often, but nothing ever appears on the screen.

T

darksigns

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:18 am

Hi Lyndon,

I would like to use SFN to update my files remotelly on our HD210 player I read that I must use csv or playlist if I want to use this feature.
I only have to files (films) and an autorun.brs on the card now. The problem is that we use a button to start the main film and till the button pressed a screensaver film plays.
my question is that can I use simple network for this without any csv or playlist?
Thank you

RokuLyndon

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 am

You don't need to use csv files. You can use brightauthor to do simple networking. We have a video that covers this in details. There's also a thread in the forum that covers this in detail.

GeeKay

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 am

Hi, Lyndon et al,
today my Problem is: HD1010 is configured for simple networking, but does not update.

The network is a purely local one, with fixed IP addresses for all units, content-server is a Windows 7 machine with IIS activated and a manually opened port 80 in the firewall.
That server and also the dedicated contents folders are reachable from the BrightSign's physical network port with any other PC (i put a html file in there to have a quick indictor).

Configuration "irregulairities":
- There's no DNS available. So i left these fields blank in the config.
- i entered the switch's IP address as "gateway" - which works pretty good for the rest of the network (a couple of PCs)
- no internet access, so i left the "network timeserver" field blank, although i could not leave the Time Zone blank.

After configuration it seemed that nothing happened.
But listening to the RS-232 showed:
Most of the files were successfully downloaded (and some *.sha or so files had appeared on the card), but for two files it reported an 404 error ... also for the autorun.brs!
How can that happen?
The file is definitely located in that folder!
And the BrightSign must have access, because it downloads all others ...

I have skipped the "networked update" for the time being (commissioning phase), but i must establish it within the next 4 weeks ...

Is that something with W7, perhaps?
I am still new to that OS, so it might be one of it's networking specialties, buggin' me here ...

RokuLyndon

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:52 pm

There are troubleshooting tips in this FAQ item.
http://support.brightsign.biz/entries/2 ... -t-working

See tip 7 for setting a .brs mime type on your server. If there's no .brs mime type, the the autorun.brs fails to download on iis.

chrisgage

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:10 am

Hello,

I'm struggling to implement a local simple networking scenario. I have a closed local area network that has 10 units on that need to run in sync and update across the network.
I have a Windows 7 machine with IIS hosting the content. I can ping and browser-access the content from another pc on the network via IP. (http://192.168.0.1/BS01/current-sync.xml)

The brightsign units see the current-sync.xml file but 404 on every file in the directory. I've added *.brs and *.rok as mime types in IIS. I can directly access these files from a browser on another machine on the network.

As there is no internet access available, I've removed the option of a time server. Could this be an issue?

Please help!
Thanks.

RokuLyndon

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Is your brightsign getting info from your network over dhcp, or did you manually set the IP address? If you manually set it, what did you use for the broadcast address.?

Can you ping the IP address of the brightsign?

If you have network access, then it can be a permissions issue that's causing the brightsign to fail. Does the web folder have full guest access? Keep in mind that windows does some forms of authentication in the background.

pallen

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 am

Was there every a resolve to this problem, I have exactly the same results as chrisgage except I do have internet access. I have tried setting the IP address manually and through DHCP both produce the same results.

RokuLyndon

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 am

Please send a description of your problem to support at brightsign . biz

pallen

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 am

Nevermind, got the problem sorted - web server settings were not correct. Updated the settings and it's all working now thanks. :)