Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

GeeKay
Topic Author

delay at interactive control events

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 am

Hi again,
now i am "playing" with navigation.
ELO touch screen (1215L) on the USB port of a HD1010.
5 pages of *.png, all set to "no transition".
P1 has three touch areas, invoking P2 or P3, which both call P4 after a time out. P4 jumps back to P1 after timeout.
P5 is invoked by an incoming UDP command on any of the pages and must be touched to go back to P1.
For testing i have added a "back-to-p1" full screen area to P2 .. P4.

Now:
Touch events on P1..3 and P5 react between 1 and 2 seconds delayed, on P4 recation is almost immediate to immediate.
UDP event works immediate from P1, but with about 2 sec delay from P2 .. P4.

Is there anything i can optimize to speed up the touch reaction?
It's going to be an unattended public gadget in the end of the day, so it should react "almost immediate" - since people tend to "touch" multiple and increasingly hard, if something "does not understand" ... ;-)

RokuLyndon

Re: delay at interactive control events

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:13 am

pngs are the most efficient files to use, but image playback isn't the fastest on the brightsign.

You can try using bitmaps instead of pngs. you can also make sure the images are sized to match the resolution being used so there's no scaling involved.

If that doesn't work, one thing you can do is convert your images to videos. The videos are opened differently so they normally open in milliseconds compared to images.

If you need it, I can send you a batch file that uses ffmpeg to convert a folder of images to 1 second videos with the same name.

LFKerr

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:19 am

On using "still" videos, something I've never quite understood was, how does it really work? Do you need the video to be as long as the time-out, or will it load, play, and then sit on the last frame until the time-out or touch-press comes along?

Leo

RokuLyndon

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:43 am

You don't need a timeout if it's a video.

The video will just loop. So, if it was converted from an image, it looks like an image. But, you can use a timeout if you want to timeout after a certain amount of time.

RotoJeremy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 am

I am working on an interactive project where people can select between 2 slide branches. I am working with an HD810 (firmware: 3.5.68) and a 22" elo touchscreen monitor.

So far, I have attempted to use jpegs, but the transition time, once you get to a slide where a decision is made, is approx. 5 seconds. It is that way for each of the following slides in that branch.

Since that didn't work to our liking, we chose to use ffmpeg to create 1 second videos. This worked, and the transition times are much quicker. However, now there are graphical glitches in the slides. Some of them occur during transitions, others are permanent, but only affect the areas where rectangular touch events are.

Side note... were are starting from a pdf with the images, and adobe acrobat does not allow for exporting to a BMP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RokuLyndon

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 am

Sounds like your ffmpeg encode is bad. You can test some other images, some random windows samples, and see if they work fine. it could be the source images.

here's one ffmpeg conversion....try this one..
https://www.brightsignnetwork.com/downl ... -mp4ts.zip

You can also use a different program to do the image conversion. It sounds like an encoding problem.