Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaveNil
Topic Author

Picasa Media RSS

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 am

Does a Picasa webalbum RSS file supposed to be working with brightsign/brightauthor?
It accepts the link and displays "Picasa RSS" in the Media RSS Feed, but for me it just shows a black screen when runned in the player (hd210, latest firmware and BA 2.0.0.42)

If it not accepts picasa, can you make it work? Any other services that can deliver full HD resolution images, updated through a media rss link?

I tried to implement RSS feeds as well but what I understand, brighsign does not support html formated RSS feeds, right? Any plans to do that? because its really difficult to design text that can be easily updated with brightauthor or have I missed something here??? I cant even get a line like this to show up OK;

Welcome

Todays event - 10.00 pm

Tomorrows event - 9.pm

it looks like this;

Welcome Todays event - 10.00 pm Tomorrows event - 9.pm

Microsofts Frameit will be shut down 15th of dec so no luck there. I know of SignChannel but its not availible in sweden yet. Muzaks "Encompassed DS", can I use that with a HD210?
Sorry for the amount of questions but I need to figure out something quick to publish formated RSS text or HD images with text through that can be updated through a media RSS - preferly picasa.

Best,
David

RokuLyndon

Re: Picasa Media RSS

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 am

Yes, muzak works with the 210.

Text formatting is a pain, and the only way to get multiple lines to work well is to use multiple text zones, one line for zone. At least, that's currently what the problem is.

Can you send me the mrss link you tried to use?

DaveNil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Ok, that won't work out. Its a shame its not easier to update text.

The Picasa feed I tried is this one;

feed://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/b ... E&hl=en_US

Should it work otherwise with Picasa?

I tried with flickr, it works but can't show full resolution in the rss feed ( maybe its a way, investigating it now). I tried your framechannel feed (user=hd2000...) and it gets displayed in larger resolution than mine do. Have they decreased possible output since you added that feed, do you know? Otherwise I could use framehannel and their picasa channel to stream the images...

thanks,

David

RokuLyndon

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 pm

The brightsign displays the images in the size as they they are. WIth framechannel, the resolution of the images is determined by the product you associated your account with when you signed up. I picked a roku player (the consumer video box) and it uses 720p as the resolution for that.

This picassa link isn't working for me in my web browser.

DaveNil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:18 am

Here is a new public picasa link, ( I deleted the above link cause it was not fully public I believe);

http://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/b ... hoto&hl=sv

The reason I need Picasa Media RSS to work is because is really easy to work with text on a jpeg image in picasa 3.8. You can then export the image to a "picasa webalbum" and that album is the rss feed that you apply in BrightAuthor. When you want to change or remove the text its really easy since it a text layer, not incorporated in the jpeg file. So you can just change the text on the image template, upload to the "picasa webalbum" have that on autosync and the RSS feed is updated.

Can you please look into this issue and see if it can be fixed?

Thanks,
David

RokuLyndon

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 am

Ok, we found a couple bugs when processing the rss. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

DaveNil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 am

Hi Lyndon,

Any luck on the picasa RSS issue?

Thanks,
David

RokuLyndon

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 am

this is still being worked on. I'll check on the eta.

DaveNil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks,

Please also make sure they check that the feed updates properly, the Flickr feed doesn't. You need to reboot the player for the feed to update which makes the hole thing much less useful.

/david

RaymondChelsea

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 am

I just started playing around with Media RSS & Flickr and I'm wondering if this was ever fixed?

RokuLyndon

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:15 pm

This shouldn't be an issue still, but someone just reported seeing it.

RokuLyndon

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 pm

DO you know if those feeds include a ttl setting? I just looked at my photostream source, and I don't see a ttl tag which means the unit will default to every 15 minutes as the check in time to check for updated mrss feeds. We can modify the autorun script published by brightauthor to see that checking to a lower number, so maybe it checks every 5 minutes or every 2 minutes. Send me your autorun.brs from your flash card, and I'll change it to check more often.

RokuLyndon

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

also, I tried adding my photostream to internet explorer, and that works, but it fails to update there as well.