Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CWN32
Topic Author

HD210 Chewing Bandwidth

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

I've recently set up the HD210 model to work with Simple File Networking. The first time the unit started up it took a while to update and to grab the files from the web folder I placed my presentation in so I left it overnight. When I returned, I discovered that the unit had somehow chewed through over 15GB worth of bandwidth in one night - I confirmed this with my ISP. Not only that but the unit wasn't even displaying the presentation; just constantly downloading more and more. I've had to disconnect it from the internet and just set it up with local storage for now. Is it typical for the unit to consume so much data? The presentation files amounted to no more than 600MB and I can't imagine updates alone could account for that many GB's worth of data. I'm new to BrightSign so I'm not sure if I've done something wrong with the setup or if this is just typical operation. Are you able to confirm if it is meant to be consuming this much data or if I've made a mistake somewhere? I'm not sure what information you need me to provide but whatever you need please let me know and I will post it up for you.

Regards.

RokuLyndon

Re: HD210 Chewing Bandwidth

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 pm

What would be good to know is if multiple files are failing to download, which would cause the unit to try downloading the failed files over and over again, until it was successful. Is it using a media rss feed, or just content published into a web directory?

which version of brightauthor are you using?

CWN32
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm using BrightAuthor 2.3.0.57, which I believe is a Beta version. It's not using any RSS feeds. The presentation uses only video so in other words, just content in a web directory. I couldn't find any logged errors on the setup card so I'm not sure if it was failing to download the files.

When I setup the unit I scheduled it to check for updates every 5 minutes. If the BrightSign is in the middle of an update will it still connect to the web folder to look for new updates when it's scheduled to? Can it mistake the original update for a new one and override the one it was still in the process of downloading?

In the meantime I'll try and set the update schedules farther apart and see if that helps at all. Anything else you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

RokuLyndon

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

No, the unit wouldn't stop a current update and restart downloads of the existing files it has. The unit does a hash check to make sure it's not downloading something it's already downloaded. See steps below to enable logging so we can retrieve the log to see what the unit is doing.

You can get your log (from the SD card in BA 2.2.x) by following the steps below:

Please remove the SD card from the player then edit the autorun.brs file with notepad.
In this file you will find these 2 lines at the top:
debugOn = false
loggingOn = false

Please change their values to true.

debugOn = true
loggingOn = true

Save the changes.

Insert the SD card back in the player and let the player run for a few minutes. There should then be a "log.txt" file on the root of the SD card.

OR

On the lates version of BA there is a tick box under the Publish tab to "Enable serial Logging".

CWN32
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Fortunately I managed to get it working. I had accidentally transferred the files to my web folder in ASCII mode instead of Binary. I reuploaded them in Binary mode and this fixed the problem.
Thanks anyway for your help.

Cheers.