Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

LFKerr
Topic Author

compact brightsign documentation

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

This is an appeal for a different kind of documentation...

I don't remember when it happened, but some time ago, the documentation page dropped the Compact User's Guide (which was out of date,) in favor of Bright Author documentation only. For some of us -- at least, for me! -- Bright Author isn't a viable solution, and it's much easier and faster for me to tinker with a CSV or Playlist file out in the field with whatever small computer is available. (The last few times, it's been a Mac Mini bolted to a rolling work-table.)

Is there a way that with each firmware update, or even just each major firmware update, an updated "reduced" documentation guide be produced? To contain, for example,

playlist commands
CSV comands (header and "events")
supported video modes

Right now, I've got an old manual for Firmware 3.0.1, and then a bunch of firmware update entries that talk about some of the (now many) additions.

Leo Kerr

RokuLyndon

Re: compact brightsign documentation

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 am

The reason for this is the old playlist and csv format hasn't changed since those documents. No further keywords or functionality has been added to the old playlist or csv formats. All development on the playlist side is now in BrightAuthor. So, you can use the old format, but it hasn't changed. The scripting documents are updated if you want to write a custom script, but no additional work has been done with the csv and text based playlists. The old userguide is current for supported keywords.