Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

fshagan

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm

pg_rider wrote:
So we picked up this 1 TB network-connectable external hard drive for $320 at Best Buy:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=347

Haven't tried to see it from the Roku yet as we've been busy moving files over to it. Hopefully it works! We plan to pick up another one just like it to act as a backup...

Very nice! I haven't done this yet, but there are some instructions out there for running Firefly on the WD Worldbook drives: http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBo ... on_Install

Let us know how it works out.

dgburns

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:17 am

pg_rider wrote:
So we picked up this 1 TB network-connectable external hard drive for $320 at Best Buy:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=347

Haven't tried to see it from the Roku yet as we've been busy moving files over to it. Hopefully it works! We plan to pick up another one just like it to act as a backup...

I wondered about those myself. Since it requires installing software on your PC in order to access it over the LAN, I'm curious if it works purely as a NAS device? I could never find any mention of their products supporting SMB or NFS networking, all that's mentioned is it "support UPnP". I'm thinking it is not going to show up visible to your Roku as would drive shared from a PC or NAS, but more like you would see when running TVersity or something and how that shows up.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

pg_rider
Topic Author

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm

To quote the great Borat Sagdiyev -- "GREAT SUCCESS"! So after getting some files moved over I go to "Network Shares" and the MyBook drive is sitting there just waiting for me to click the box. I do so and it shows up on the main screen so I browse to a Phil Collins HD concert and it fires right up and plays beautifully. So far so good -- now lets see how long it lasts!

EDIT: No software install necessary to see the drive on the network -- you only need to do that if you want to access the drive remotely (like from work)

dgburns

Mon May 05, 2008 9:44 am

Cool. I wonder now...is it running NFS, or SMB, or is the Roku just browsing it like any other UPnP server???
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

pg_rider
Topic Author

Mon May 05, 2008 12:40 pm

dgburns wrote:
Cool. I wonder now...is it running NFS, or SMB, or is the Roku just browsing it like any other UPnP server???

Good question -- I'll have to ask my wife when I get home as she is the IT professional in the house and set it up while I was in the shower! :lol:

Something I've observed in the couple of weeks I've been using it is that on rare occasions it seems to run "slow". In particular, it takes longer for Sonica to go from one song to the next than it used to when my songs were on my PC. That said, I've never had an issue with streaming video, even HD...