Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MarkInDavis
Topic Author

CF & Swap file

Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:29 pm

I am a long time Soundbridge owner and I picked up an HD1000 a while back at an electronics store that was going out of business. It cost $50 had the remote - no manuals or box. I've got it up and running fine and upgraded firmware. I'm using MPlay and somtetimes video playback gets a bit choppy. Research in these forums leads me to believe a CF card swap file might help. Is this right? My HD1000 is a Rev A (lower memory model). If I pick up a used CF card on EBay, what size do I want, and are there different types of CF (Type I and Type II)? Am I right in thinking SD card won't be as effective because of bus issues? Will CF to SD adapter with a SD card work?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Last edited by MarkInDavis on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjt5282

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:21 pm

for swap files, use a CF card. I have several in different sizes, from 128Mb to 1Gb. I find using MPlay and SlimServer a 128Mb CF card adequate ... while the swap file grows, the stability of the Roku and the SMB mounts in general require reboots daily.

If I were buying a new card, I'd probably buy a 256Mb or 512Mb card.
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

MarkInDavis
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Will the HD1000 handle CF type II (5mm thick) or just type I (3.3mm thick)?

PSmith

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm

How is your swap file grow ?
I can not manage to allocate for swap Rev B, 128 MB, 2.0.36) more then 64MB and running MPlay and CinemaSix do not inflate the size at all.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 am

PSmith wrote:
How is your swap file grow ?
I can not manage to allocate for swap Rev B, 128 MB, 2.0.36) more then 64MB and running MPlay and CinemaSix do not inflate the size at all.

The swap file size is in the script (which is 64MB unless you change it). It won't grow beyond that, and it won't reallocate space if the swap file already exists. If you want a 128MB swap file, then you'll need to edit the script, and delete the existing file.

With a Rev B, there's really no need for a swap file. Why do you want to set one up?

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

PSmith

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 am

I'm using it just in case, perhaps did pull the CF from other dead Rev A box.

You know, I did what you wrote ( rm swap, increase size in dd ), but RokuOS created 64 MB swap (!) regardless of new values 96 or 92.
I used the values because SystemInfo show 91 MB RAM size.

TheEndless

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:27 am

PSmith wrote:
I'm using it just in case, perhaps did pull the CF from other dead Rev A box.

You know, I did what you wrote ( rm swap, increase size in dd ), but RokuOS created 64 MB swap (!) regardless of new values 96 or 92.
I used the values because SystemInfo show 91 MB RAM size.

I believe this is the script I used to create my 128MB swap on my Rev A (maybe it needs to be a multiple of 64..?)...
#!/bin/sh
mount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/flash1 -o remount,rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime
swapfilename="/mnt/flash1/swapfile"
if [ -e "$swapfilename" ]
then
 echo "Swap file $swapfilename found";
else
 echo "Swap file $swapfilename not found, creating"
 dd if=/dev/zero of="$swapfilename" bs=1024 count=131072
 if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]
 then
  echo "Swapfile created successfully!"
 else
  echo "Failed to create swapfile"
  exit 1;
 fi
fi
grep "$swapfilename" /proc/swaps
if [ -e "/proc/swaps" -a "$?" -eq 0 ]
then
 echo "Swap already on"
else
 echo "Turning swap on..."
 mkswap "$swapfilename"
 swapon "$swapfilename"
fi
exit 0

The 91MB that the Roku is showing is less the 32MB used for video RAM.

TheEndless
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

heliophorus

CF

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:14 am

mjt5282 wrote:
for swap files, use a CF card.

Do You known You have only 100K times You can write CF ?!
Swapspace is drive intensive. So don't !

ref: http://www.articlealley.com/article_65232_10.html

davwebb

CF cards

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:10 pm

There's an app note for this in the BrightSign forum:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/brights ... chNote.pdf

na9d

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:09 am

Well, I think you get more than 100K writes. I thought most flash cards had around a million or more.

Secondly, when using a Rev A, you don't really have a choice.

Third, CF cards are getting so cheap these days that it's just basically disposable memory!
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players

heliophorus

Tue May 01, 2007 3:45 am

na9d wrote:
Well, I think you get more than 100K writes. I thought most flash cards had around a million or more.

Third, CF cards are getting so cheap these days that it's just basically disposable memory!

Price is not an issue.

CF can be used for storage.
But if You want to use it as swap memory, after some time, You will turn into problems. Because each time You use swap memory (to write), You loose one turn. This space is used too frequently.

very soon, new technology as NAND memory will resolve this.

TheEndless

Tue May 01, 2007 6:34 am

heliophorus wrote:
Price is not an issue.

But if You want to use it as swap memory, after some time, You will turn into problems. Because each time You use swap memory (to write), You loose one turn. This space is used too frequently.

While I can certainly appreciate where you're coming from, I've been using my Rev A PhotoBridge for over 3 years now with the same CF card hosting the swap file without problems. If this read/write volatility you're so concerned about hasn't come into play after 3 years of more or less continuous use, I can't imagine it's nearly as big an issue as you seem to think.

TheEndless

na9d

Tue May 01, 2007 8:15 am

heliophorus wrote:
na9d wrote:

Price is not an issue.

CF cards ARE NAND Flash. Secondly, who cares if you have one less write cycle. Same thing happens every time I take a picture with my digital camera and then erase it. I've taken over 10,000 pictures on my CF cards and no problems!

Your phobia is silly. If the CF card dies, buy a new one and replace it.
Roku Soundbridge M2000

Roku Soundbridge M1000

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB

Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA

3 ReplayTVs

4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)

Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro

2 Vudu VOD Players

sansp00

Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 am

Especially at the price they are going these days ... It's not even worth a second thought.
Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

heliophorus

Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 pm

na9d wrote:
CF cards ARE NAND Flash....
Your phobia is silly....
If the CF card dies, buy a new one and replace it.

I do not talk about costs. It may costs $1 or less.
It's about using stable memory for SWAP.

I was verifying truth. Does CF has something to do with NAND. Indeed You are right, first cards made in CF are NOR based, the new cards are NAND based. However, what I am talking about, seems to be something different. Current CF cards (Sandisk Extreme III, etc.) do provide a transfer speed of 20MB/s. They are used as removable storage.

I am refering to cards of 60MB/s, the new SSD of samsung. They plan to use as replacement for notebook HARDDISKS. So I doubt they will have 1M write limits, and it will be the same tech. Seems samsung has improuved the technology in capacity. And this month, they are producing
those solutions in mass production. So prices will drop. However, I need to verify, if they have increased the write limit too.

SSD are usefull for notebooks, because they consume less energy. They are 5 times as fast as a regular harddisk, and I am looking to this technology, because the drive does not have moving parts, so I think, You have less risk to crash the disk.

When data and stability is important, You don't look to price.

Ref (french): http://www.erenumerique.fr/samsung_ssd_ ... -9276.html