Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffzan
Topic Author

YEAR CHANGE BUG (HD 1000) No 2007

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:13 pm

Has anyone learned of a fix for Roku HD1000 (photo bridge) where the year can be correctly set to 2007 (only 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) are available when you SET TIME. Thank you. Jeff Zander JeffZan@aol.com

andy

Re: YEAR CHANGE BUG (HD 1000) No 2007

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:44 pm

jeffzan wrote:
Has anyone learned of a fix for Roku HD1000 (photo bridge) where the year can be correctly set to 2007 (only 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) are available when you SET TIME. Thank you. Jeff Zander JeffZan@aol.com

I would think by telnetting in you could use the Unix 'date' command.

I would also expect that someone could alter the binay executable in the PB OS for the 'Setup' application to change the years to something more modern.

The fact that the time is off due to the new daylight savings is starting to bug me, I may have to fix this soon. Has anyone else taken a crack at this?
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

jm_maclaren

howto fix the DST stuff

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:09 pm

download tzcode2007c.tar.gz & tzdata2007c.tar.gz from the web
untar tjhem in a tempory directory on your roku
i did /tmp/mythtv/tzdata (which is an nfs mount off my linux box)
the do the following steps:

ls -ltr
cd /tmp/mythtv/tzdata/
make TOPDIR=/tmp/mythtv/tzdata/ install
ls
mkdir /tmp/zoneinfo
./zdump -v /etc/localtime |grep 2007
./zic -d /tmp/zoneinfo northamerica
ls /tmp/zoneinfo/CST6CDT
cp /tmp/zoneinfo/CST6CDT /etc/localtime
./zdump -v /etc/localtime |grep 2007
date

This requires the roku to have the gcc compiler mounted. I will post the time zone files on my web site members.cox.net/jm_maclaren for you to download and copy onto the /etc/localtime file

:shock: :lol: :oops: :twisted: (these faces were chosen by my 10 year old daughter!)

dgburns

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:06 am

wow!
I downloaded your zoneinfo archive and unzipped it to a mounted share.
I then copied EST5EDT to /etc/localtime
I ran 'date' and then time had updated by an hour and says I'm in EDT now (before the clock was an hour behind and the date said EST).

Thanks for making this fairly painless (for anyone that can telnet that is)!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

mjt5282

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 pm

dgburns wrote:
wow!
I downloaded your zoneinfo archive and unzipped it to a mounted share.
I then copied EST5EDT to /etc/localtime
I ran 'date' and then time had updated by an hour and says I'm in EDT now (before the clock was an hour behind and the date said EST).

Thanks for making this fairly painless (for anyone that can telnet that is)!

thanks jim and dg, I updated my Roku's as well (using DG's instructions).
i didn't bother with the cross-compiler.

Mike
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

PSmith

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:58 am

If your router pass NTP requests, HD1000 will adjust time automatically.

mjt5282

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:47 pm

PSmith wrote:
If your router pass NTP requests, HD1000 will adjust time automatically.

NTP doesn't correct for daylight savings - the rules are constantly changing and chaotically applied all over the world. This was discussed alot on slashdot.org around January.

Thanks to Jim for providing the binaries - an unpatched Roku will display the correct time now because the out of date rules are now the same as the patched rules.
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

S80_UK

Tue May 08, 2007 1:13 am

Hi,

First, let me put my hand up - I am a relative newb as far as the PhotoBridge is concerned.

I am not clear on how I can use the information here. I was only able to download one of the files on jm_mclaren's site. Also, I am not in the US. Currently my PB will get the time via NTP, but when I try to set the local time zone (for the UK), it forgets the year that it fetched and replaces it with one from it's limited internal calendar.

So I see two possible solutions - either how do I apply the information above as someone not in the US (I am not in a position to start compiling code...), or, it struck me that if I could point the PB to an alternative NTP server (such as my desktop PC suitably configured) then it would probably solve the problem without me needing to set the zone at all. I tried the latter method with a SoundBridge and it works, but the SB has a web interface which allows you to do this. Is there a file or parameter in the PB which allows the time server to be specified (in my case as an IP address)?

BTW - PB is on standard firmware 2.0.36

Thanks,

Les.

jm_maclaren

Tue May 08, 2007 5:04 am

As the one who compiled the data for the US let me lookinto the UK. The problem bit US users as congress changed the daylight savings time switch date, if the hadn;t nothing was needed. Basically your local timezone file converts ntp into your local time.What is your locat time zone called when you type date?

S80_UK

Tue May 08, 2007 7:46 am

jm_maclaren wrote:
As the one who compiled the data for the US let me lookinto the UK. The problem bit US users as congress changed the daylight savings time switch date, if the hadn;t nothing was needed. Basically your local timezone file converts ntp into your local time.What is your locat time zone called when you type date?

Hi - thanks for the quick response.

However, I think there is no action needed after all.... :oops: (I said I was a newb at this thing)

The problem was that the PB appeared to change the year when I set the time zone after a reset - it was changing to 2003. However, now that I have cycled power, the time and date have been set correctly for the timezone where I'm at. For reference only, this is entered as London on the clock setting screen, and when I Telnet into the PB and type date, it is now correctly reported as BST (British Summer Time, which is our version of daylight saving time).

So thanks for offering to help - but I think I'm OK for now.

Cheers.

Les.