Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

r111
Topic Author

Anthony Wood is moving to NetFlix

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Looks like Anthony Wood is moving to NetFlix. Wonder if our legacy HD1000s will stream movies from Netflix?... :lol:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/16/ne ... coming-to/
Netflix hire reveals "Internet TV" division: downloads coming to living room
Posted Apr 16th 2007 12:14PM by Paul Miller

...Netflix ... has set up a whole Internet TV division to push movies and TV shows over that series of tubes. Today Netflix appointed ReplayTV founder Anthony Wood to the VP position of the group, whose "invented the DVR, founded Roku" and "good written and verbal communication" resume items make him a natural choice for freeing those media downloads from PC shackles to make the trek into the living room and onto your television. "The company has taken the first step -- and an innovative one -- in offering online video to its members," said Mr. Wood, "and I'm here to work with a range of partners to get that video to the television, where consumers watch most of their movies."

soiaf

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:04 pm

Whatever about our HD1000s, I wonder will Roku decide to dip their toes in the video side of things again? You've got to imagine that Roku would be in a good position to make a deal with Netflix.

All I want is a nice up-to-date hardware platform (that supports H.264), has an open source API interface, and has a decent power supply :wink:

scans

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:16 pm

When I came across that news, I had a familiar pain in my stomach. As a ReplayTV owner (two, actually), and a Photobridge owner, I am conflicted.

While these two products were certainly ahead of the curve (and, to some extent, still ahead of the curve), I am concerned that whatever Netflix and he come up with will be poorly supported and tossed aside in no time.

r111
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:23 pm

I also have 2 ReplayTV 5000s (upgraded from one ReplayTV 2xxx) - still in operation and valuable with DVArchive. I have 3 Roku HD1000s. Guess I identify with what A. Wood is trying to do. I'm sure they would haved supported the HD line better if it had sold better. Perhaps the software was too immature, perhaps it was ahead of its time, perhaps both. I am a long time subscriber to NetFlix (natch), so I look forward to what they come up with.

dgburns

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Hmmm...wich there was a way someone could archive off to another site these forums, since hard to imagine with this news that Roku will be around much longer... :(
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Burkhardi

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:18 pm

dgburns wrote:
Hmmm...wich there was a way someone could archive off to another site these forums, since hard to imagine with this news that Roku will be around much longer... :(

I guess it's glass half full, or half empty IMHO.
They (netFlix) are already using Roku according to Anthony, so this may open the way to a killer set top box?
perhaps Netflix will offer a bare bones, no extra's STB for free to hook most folks like me. Then we say, heck for $4.99-$9.99 a month and a free box, sign me up..
Then we never use the service that much and they (netflix) get EASY MONEY. THen power users will want way more then the freebie can do and want the Roku PVR which might be a HD1000 on steroids?
HD1000 with a HDD and more options.
Anyway, just thinking out loud, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

na9d

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:17 pm

I had posted something else, but now that I read Anthony Wood's posting about the job change, it's interesting.

It sounds like he's keeping his stock in Roku of which he is majority owner and will still be somewhat involved but not day to day. It kinda sounds like Steve Jobs ala Pixar and Apple...

Could be cool....
Roku Soundbridge M2000
Roku Soundbridge M1000
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevB
Roku Photobridge HD1000 RevA
3 ReplayTVs
4 Slingboxes (Classic and Pro, AV and Solo)
Firefly Media Server and SlimServer Running on a MacPro
2 Vudu VOD Players