Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

TStream: a new app for transport stream playback

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:39 pm

Current Version: 1.41, Released: October 31, 2004

I'll be updating this first post when new features/releases are made.

Plays MPEG-2 transport stream files. Still in early development so it isn't perfect.

- Plays a sequence of files seemlessly.
- Playback can start with the selection of the first file or by picking an entire folder.
- Supports files containing up to 3 programs. Switching from one program to another can be done on the fly.
- 30 second skip forward.
- 3 minute skip forward.
- 10 second skip back.
- Advance to next file.
- Revert to previous file.
- Popup overlay with date/time and file/program information.
- Toggle between digital audio out and stereo downmix on the fly.
- Handles MyHD file naming scheme (and other more standard).
- Bookmark system. Keeps track of recently played files and the position they were stopped at.

Use at your own risk.

http://www.hookedontv.com
Last edited by HookedOnTV on Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Travis

museumsteve

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:46 pm

nice job mate, I'll give it a bash tomorrow. :)

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:01 pm

Cool!

Hopefully this will work better for me...

What is the default extension that you are looking for? I pointed it at a directory with .ts.... But no play?

Are you looking for something in a case sensitive way?

Maybe you can do a quick README?

Thanks!

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:54 pm

I've found an issue with some files. Hadn't come upon it until today. May be why your not getting any playback. I'm working on a fix and will get an updated version out soon. I'll throw a README in to better explain what to expect.
- Travis

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:53 pm

I put a new version up that fixes a couple issues. I was having troubles with some of my files recorded with an AccessDTV card and after analyzing the packets the files are starting in the middle of a packet and the Roku does not want to open these. A temporary workaround is to run this first file through HDTVtoMPEG2 just resaving it.

It now try's to find the audio and video pid in the file and if it can't it defaults to 0x0011 and 0x0014.
- Travis

museumsteve

Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:47 am

will it run with other PIDs? I'm struggling with streamplayer and cinemasix with PIDs other than 11/14. I'm just about to give yours a go :)

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:03 am

If it can find the PAT it should be able to determine the PIDs in your file.
- Travis

museumsteve

Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:23 am

okay..just tried it briefly.
It finds my folders okay but wont show the files in the folder but pressing play it will play anything in the folder if you know what I mean.
My sound issues aren;t restricted to your player, I have intermittent sound on some of my TS files (which are fine through PC). I ran through HDTV2Mpeg and also TStoATSC (to make PIDs 11/14) but still same audio issue. I have it on 3 files so far so I dont think it's just bad luck. :(

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:23 am

I just put a new version up which allows the selection of a file in addition to a folder. (v1.2). Won't help any on audio issues though.
- Travis

batDan

Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:22 pm

cool app, but please include a possibility to move to the next or the previous file. the skip forward and back are great, but there should be a way for continue watching in the middle of a 2 hour movie without pressing skip forward several hundert times...
:wink:

museumsteve

Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:37 pm

but surely that depends on what file sizes you have?? It would be very quick to put files through HDTV2MPEG and change file sizes if required. Personally I'm happy with 137mb files (one minute)..:)

batDan

Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:44 pm

Sorry, I think you didn't understand what I was talking about. I guess you are using StreamPlayer as that is the only app where you can jump to the next or previous file. I made a comment to TStream (that's what this thread is about...).

Anyway, I don't like to have many of such small files. As TStream can skip forward and back (of course it would be cool to have real FF and REW with several speeds), it wouldn't be really necessary to make such small files. But since with this app you cannot jump to the next or previous file, navigation in long movies is even worse than with StreamPlayer.

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:28 pm

I'm working on some more position controls. Ultimately operation will be the same from one user to another and not related to file sizes. I'm working on ff and rewind but they are going to take some work. I'll probably add in next/previous file to tide things over. I'm also working on a bookmark system so that you could exit out of a show and be able to start back up at the same place later.

I'll put something up in the next day or two, until then you could pick a file towards the middle where you would like to be as the starting point.
- Travis

museumsteve

Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:07 am

batDan wrote:
Sorry, I think you didn't understand what I was talking about. I guess you are using StreamPlayer as that is the only app where you can jump to the next or previous file. I made a comment to TStream (that's what this thread is about...).

Anyway, I don't like to have many of such small files. As TStream can skip forward and back (of course it would be cool to have real FF and REW with several speeds), it wouldn't be really necessary to make such small files. But since with this app you cannot jump to the next or previous file, navigation in long movies is even worse than with StreamPlayer.

oops :oops: , sorry batdan, I should have paid more attention. I'm still using StreamPlayer at the mo only cos of the skip faw/back option but will look more at TStream. I guess I found that StreamPlayer works well for me so have sort of settled on using that for now.
:)

Keep up the good work HookedOnTV :)

HookedOnTV
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:19 pm

Ok, new version up. Only added ability to go to the next/previous file.
- Travis