Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chris_r11
Topic Author

Would you buy a used HD1000 now or look for something else?

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 am

Hi all,

New member here - I am looking for a device to stream music and photos to my home theater system.

There are a number of devices out there now, but the older HD1000 has a feature that I think my wife would like - the SD card on the front. I think she would like to have our CDs available, use Internet radio and view saved photos. I don't think we would store DVD's, but who knows.

So, if you were just getting into this, would you pickup a used HD1000 or look for something else? I do know what forum I am asking this on, but was just wondering what you think, keeping in mind that they are not in production, some are dying and the 3rd party support seems to be slowing down.

Other devices I am looking at are an older Escient Fireball, (Can't do anything but music, unless I mortgage the house) and the Netgear EVA8000 (I don't know how developed the firmware is now). Any other suggestions? I am really looking for a device that has a high WAF and should last a few years.

Thanks,

Chris

Burkhardi

Go for it!!

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 am

Howdy Chris and welcome to the forum!!

I am biased since I own several HD1000s. As far as a high WAF, the HD1000 fits the bill IMHO. My wife and I use ours all the time, and almost every weekend. We have a harmony remote as well, which makes the task easier, but I am sure if WAF is something that you have to contend with, then you probably already have a Harmony or something like it. My wife and I both find it easy to use.

In the native form, I want to say it will play MP3, WAV and AIFF.
However, there are also third party made codecs that will work (thanks for Soiaf (that is his user name on the forum)), like WMA, FLAC, AAC lossless and others.

We love the use of the card reader on the front of the unit for viewing photos right from our camera. We also use SlimRoku all the time to play music ( http://www.permanence.com/SlimRoku/ ). Since it can mount our PC's hard drive, we often play musci with SlimRoku and watch a slide show of our pictures. We also like the internet radio too.

I would look for a REV-B unit so you will not need to run a "swap file", which ties up the CF slot. The REV-B has twice the memory of a REV-A.

There are some reliability issues that some of the untis have in reguards to the OEM power supply, that can be fixed and there are solutions for having them totaly re-worked as well.

What questions do you have?

The "new" beta firmware is pretty darn stable, we run 2.0.35 and some run 2.0.36; if you do get a lock up, all you have to do is hold the power button down for 5 seconds and it re-boots. We hardly ever have to do that. Now that its retired, the beta is the newest current firmware.

I would say the HD1000 is a great place to cut ones teeth on media servers and clients!!

It has one flower of a scaler and the picture quailty is great. I think it was a tad before its time and perhaps why its now retired. If it came out today, with HDMI and some other small upgrades, it would be a very hard act to beat. Even now, its still one of the best IMHO.

Hope this helps, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

chris_r11
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply! - now more questions!

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:52 am

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. So, is it difficult to repair the device so it is reliable? Would you just send it away to Pyramid audio (I think that is the name) for the "upgrades" or wait for it to need them? Do you think that this device will have a userbase for awhile still?

I am looking for something that will be reliable and not need to be rebooted. the Netgear still seems to have problems with this. Looking at the slim roku site, it seems all you have to do is put the installation files on the share and it reads them? does it copy them over or just read from there? When used this way, is it a good media player? How is the internet radio station player?

Any place other than ebay to pick these up and what do you think they are worth? How does one tell a rev a from B?

Thanks for answering more questions.

Chris

Burkhardi

Re: Thanks for the reply! - now more questions!

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:40 am

chris_r11 wrote:
Matt,

Thanks for the reply. So, is it difficult to repair the device so it is reliable? Would you just send it away to Pyramid audio (I think that is the name) for the "upgrades" or wait for it to need them? Do you think that this device will have a userbase for awhile still?

I am looking for something that will be reliable and not need to be rebooted. the Netgear still seems to have problems with this. Looking at the slim roku site, it seems all you have to do is put the installation files on the share and it reads them? does it copy them over or just read from there? When used this way, is it a good media player? How is the internet radio station player?

Any place other than ebay to pick these up and what do you think they are worth? How does one tell a rev a from B?

Thanks for answering more questions.

Chris

A REV-B will say so on the bottom by the Model and Serial Numbers.
A REV-A will not say anything about this and I want to also say the Serial number is in the K3AXXXXXX range.

Six or one, half dozen of the other for the repair. I would almost say to buy it first, then if you like it, then send it off to Pyramid-Audio. At least that way you will not have to spend more money on something you might not use/like. On the other hand,at least if you choose to send it off, you can pick the "down time" verse it going on the fritz out of the blue.

The Rev-B's normaly go for between $150-200 on eBay it seems. Of course, there are always exceptions too. I have seen them for as little at $90 (working) and $300

The HD1000 can run stuff off the CF card, or network shares too.

I think it will have a user base for a long time, like the Rio MP3 players for example. The Rio Karma is still going to a good price on eBay.

I was just giving you all the facts, we hardly have to reboot. I just wanted to say that so you would have all the facts. Normaly when I have to reboot, its been left on and playing to a media server for a couple days straight and for all I know, the thrid party app could have had an issue with something? Also, the 2.0.35 firmware seems very stable. Wait till you get more replies on this thread and see what the other users have to say.

IMHO, running SlimRoku as a Media Player can't be beat. It will also do internet radio, or you can use an app called HexRadio. The OEM music player (Called Sonata (its only labled with a "listen" button on the GUI)) does not do much more then play music, but it works well. If works off of music folders in your library. And yes, it reads SlimRoku off the network share in most cases. Since you music is there, it's no big deal. It works great in this config!
I have also run SlimRoku off a 4GB Hatachi Micro-Drive and it works too (but you still have to access the network share with the music).
I run the lastest build of SlimRoku and V6.5.2 of SlimServer.

Hopefully you will get more replies and therefore draw a better conclusion on your own.

Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

dgburns

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:44 am

I love mine. I have two Rev B's. I find that now that both have fried their insides (and are enroute to Pyramid) I really miss them.

I've looked at every alternative. Nothing on the market short of building a Home Theater PC fills the bill IMHO. But my needs are very different from yours. I rarely use them for pictures, but suspect I will be soon with a baby coming in Sept!. I also rarely use them for music, as I also have a SoundBridge which I just let run 24/7 playing random songs from the 17,000+ I have on my "MP3" server.

I use my PB's primarily for watching HD movies and TV episodes I missed that are stored on my "Video" server.

My cable company sucks in what channels they offer so I also obtain a lot of HD music videos and watch them on the PB. Ah, if only MPlay had a "random" feature, where I could point it at a folder and it would randomly playback video files that were stored in that folder. I could leave it running 24/7 and just add/remove clips from the folder via my PC at will. Almost like having my own private MTV without the commercials!

As Matt suggested, get a Rev B. Verify the seller is offering a Rev B, if it doesn't say Rev B on the serial number label it isn't! If they won't post a picture of the label, don't believe.

I run 2.0.34 firmware. I saw no value in going to 2.0.35 for me, and 2.0.36 had issues I didn't wish to experience.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

ukor

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:05 am

I sold mine a while back thinking that I would get an Apple TV. I never bought one, however. They are not ready for prime time in my opinion. Perhaps if Apple starts offering an HD content via a rental model, then I would switch over to it. For now, I am using my Mac Mini with FrontRow.

I probably sold it too early, because in combination with Mplay it is a great little media server. I am still surprised that there isn't a killer device out there yet.

andy

Still nothing better

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:42 pm

I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

I have yet to find anything better for high-bitrate HD content and third-party expansion.
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

davilla

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:39 pm

I have a PhotoBridge which I'm quite happy with but I won't be getting a HD2000. Too much money, no real SDK (I do C/C++, I don't do scripts) and still no ethernet yet. Sorry but I've gotten tried of the promises. For $500 dollars, I rather spend a bit more and buy a MacMini.

My replacement is an $300 AppleTV running a MythTV frontend under Linux. Yes, it can handle HD 1080 content. Still under development but the results are quite good. And that's all I'll say about it.

See http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.ph ... 167&hilit=

Let's see how long this post lasts.

Burkhardi

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:26 pm

From the very little I know about the HD2000, its closer to the HD600. I think they are both billed as "Brightsign". The HD1000 was a Photobridge. I don't think the replacment for the HD1000 is out yet. Let hope for some good news in the next months!

davilla wrote:
I have a PhotoBridge which I'm quite happy with but I won't be getting a HD2000. Too much money, no real SDK (I do C/C++, I don't do scripts) and still no ethernet yet. Sorry but I've gotten tried of the promises. For $500 dollars, I rather spend a bit more and buy a MacMini.

My replacement is an $300 AppleTV running a MythTV frontend under Linux. Yes, it can handle HD 1080 content. Still under development but the results are quite good. And that's all I'll say about it.

See http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.ph ... 167&hilit=

Let's see how long this post lasts.

mjt5282

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:40 am

I'd still buy a used Rev. B on ebay :-)

A friend bought an Apple TV and was gravely disapointed.

The ability to add open source codecs and a relatively beefly MIPS processor that doesn't run too hot are great pluses. The MPeg2 ATI card seems good for DVD quality Video/audio.

Add Mplay and SlimRoku to your Rev. B and you have a pretty user-friendly media box for not a lot of money.
PB1000 Rev. A (X3), PB1000 Rev. B (X3), SlimServer 6.5.4 + Nero MediaHome (for transcoding to MPlay)

halfsheep

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm

Well FWIW, I left the PB for a year plus, not so much by choice but due to being a victim of the power supply issue. I got a full refund from Amex and then searched for a replacement for a year or so. Try as I might, I couldn't find anything better. SlimRoku and MPlay are simply a MUST. Do not consider this device without installing those immediately IMO. However, with them, I couldn't find a comparable let alone a better device. I'd love to see one come out but haven't yet. (TVIX was closest I guess.)

As it happened, when Roku finally offered units again (month or so back) with 1 year warranty (with Amex 2 Yrs) I grabbed one. Figured it gives me another 2 years to search and wait for a better device. Way things have been going, seems that still may not be enough time.

I basically play ripped movies (vobs) through MPlay and music through SlimRoku. Occasionally with a mixed in slide show / picture viewing.

As for WAF, keeping her happy with the lack of CDs and DVDs all over the place was a main driver in going this route in the first place. But, my wife got biased against this early on since we suffered through the early Roku days with new apps and bugs. But since the early days, she's had to admit it's been pretty darn stable and has come around somewhat. It's Been a long time since we've had a movie issue. It takes some setting up and learning though, but it's really not that bad if you can find the help in the forums. Honestly though it's not great for WAF in my experience. You may end up doing most of the driving. Wife may accept it but not love it. Again, from what I can tell, other solutions would be just as bad or worse in that dept though.

Personally, given the known issues, I'd be cautious about paying too much without a warranty. That's why I never bought one on ebay. On the bright side, these things hold their value unimaginably well for a tech device. It's really pretty freaky how well actually (from last time I looked.)

Mon1018

Re: Still nothing better

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:31 am

andy wrote:
I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

I have yet to find anything better for high-bitrate HD content and third-party expansion.

The same to me

MoJo

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm super happy with my PS3 and don't use my PB so much anymore. However, I'm mostly interested in music, photos and standard def video (and Blu-ray of course). I've heard others mention HD is not so good on the PS3 so if that's your need their might be issues. I'm pretty sure Sony have several more updates planned this year so maybe they will improve things on the HD front.

I use TVersity with my PS3 which works really well. MediaPlayer 11 was awful. Photo viewing is much better on the PS3 since it does nice crossfades and offers different slideshow speeds. It also supports playlists for photos and music and does photos and music at the same time and doesn't require a swap drive. ;-)

For standard def video, it supports AVI files (and other formats) as well as mpg so it's great for watching those less than stellar family videos you take with your digital camera. :-)

You can get the BD Remote for the PS3 so you don't have to use the game controller and since the remote is BlueTooth you don't even have to point the remote at the player (which is cool).

dj7675

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:39 pm

PS3 is a great device. Viewing photos is very fast and works very well. Have not tried it for music yet. I have a lot of my music in .flac format (not sure if the ps3 supports that yet or not). It does also work well for standard video. The real problem is that it cannot play streamed mpeg2 hd yet. I have tried several times. It will play it fine when burned to dvd. The bug seems to be it cannot play film based mpeg2 hd material that has 3:2 pulldown. The video plays, but with jerky green flashes. Hopefully sony will fix it. The Roku still is the king of playing high bitrate hd mpeg2 material it seems (which is why I have 4). It is definately getting old, but still a great player.

Darin

dgburns

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:40 am

dj7675 wrote:
PS3 is a great device. <snip>The video plays, but with jerky green flashes. Hopefully sony will fix it. The Roku still is the king of playing high bitrate hd mpeg2 material it seems (which is why I have 4). It is definately getting old, but still a great player.

Same experience here Darin.
Have you tried remuxing the mpeg2hd material into a .VOB container? Or a Program Stream container?
Dunno if you've been following development of mkv2vob (remuxes those pesky Usenet AVC-720p/AC-3 mkv's into a vob/mpg that is PS3 playable), but now that it is working very well at that (including subtitles support now), the author has been asked to look into a non-transcoding conversion method for mpeg2hd/ac-3 ts files. I'm anxiously watching to see what happens.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2