Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rodlwatson

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:58 am

dgburns wrote:
I use my PB's primarily for watching HD movies and TV episodes I missed that are stored on my "Video" server.

My cable company sucks in what channels they offer so I also obtain a lot of HD music videos and watch them on the PB. Ah, if only MPlay had a "random" feature, where I could point it at a folder and it would randomly playback video files that were stored in that folder. I could leave it running 24/7 and just add/remove clips from the folder via my PC at will. Almost like having my own private MTV without the commercials!

Hello Dgburns,
I have a PB and haven't used it much at all. I just recently installed a windows home server on my network and now I want to stream video to my PB. I plan to rip all my DVDs to my server. All of my video files currently are image (.iso) files taken from standard DVDs using DVD Shrink. Can you tell me what I need to do to get started? How are you streaming your videos and where do you get your HD videos from?
Thanks,
SilkRod

dgburns

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 am

rodlwatson wrote:
Can you tell me what I need to do to get started?

http://www.permanence.com/Roku/forums/d ... px?g=forum
I would start by getting MPlay up and running. Nothing better for watching video on a PB than MPlay.

rodlwatson wrote:
How are you streaming your videos

I don't "stream". I store videos on servers who "share" folders onto my home network. I have a mixture of SMB (i.e. Windows) shares and NFS (i.e. *nix) shares. The performance of the SMB client stack on the Photobridge has been well documented here in these forums to be of poor performance, so I use NFS share for all HD video sharing.

rodlwatson wrote:
and where do you get your HD videos from?

Usenet.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

rodlwatson

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 am

Dgburns,
Thank you very much for your response. First I updated my firmware to v2.0.35 and I have downloaded MPlay and installed it on a share drive. It shows up on my PB Screen...No problem. It evens runs and I can select buttons on the screen. However, here's the problem. When I click on the "Open File" or "Quere File" buttons, the screen goes black and locks up. Any idea what might be wrong?

SilkRod

Note: Like I mentioned before, I haven't used my PB very much at all. In fact this is the first application I've ever installed on it. Mostly, I have just used it to view photos from a CF Card.

sr

Burkhardi

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 am

rodlwatson wrote:
Dgburns,
Thank you very much for your response. First I updated my firmware to v2.0.35 and I have downloaded MPlay and installed it on a share drive. It shows up on my PB Screen...No problem. It evens runs and I can select buttons on the screen. However, here's the problem. When I click on the "Open File" or "Quere File" buttons, the screen goes black and locks up. Any idea what might be wrong?

SilkRod

Note: Like I mentioned before, I haven't used my PB very much at all. In fact this is the first application I've ever installed on it. Mostly, I have just used it to view photos from a CF Card.

sr

Is it a REV-A or REV-B unit? A REV-B will say so on the bottom and NOT have a SN starting with K3A.. or J3A..
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

silkrod

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:35 am

Burkhardi wrote:
rodlwatson wrote:
Dgburns,

SilkRod

sr

Is it a REV-A or REV-B unit? A REV-B will say so on the bottom and NOT have a SN starting with K3A.. or J3A..

First thing, I have changed my username: rodlwatson and silkrod are the same person. With that said and done, my PB is a REV-A.

silkrod

Burkhardi

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 am

silkrod wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:
rodlwatson wrote:
Dgburns,

SilkRod

sr

First thing, I have changed my username: rodlwatson and silkrod are the same person. With that said and done, my PB is a REV-A.

silkrod

I am 95% sure that is your issue. The REV-B has twice as much memory as a REV-A. On big application, a REV-A will run very, very slow or lock up.
The good news is that you can run a "Swap File" and it will make a REV-A almost as good as a REV-B (about 98%, in other words, you will never know). I am at work, so if you can use the search function of this forum to find info on the Swap File, it may speed things up. Tonight, I can walk you through some neat tricks you can do with the swap file to make it very easy and simple to use. Go to the Unoffical FAQ setction first and see about the info on Swap Files there.
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6259
Regards, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

silkrod

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Hello Matt,

Thank you very much for that information. That fixed the problem. But now I have a few other questions.

1. I used a 128MB CF Card for my Swap, but when I check system info, it shows that my swap file is only 63MB. Is that the max size that a swap file can be? Would it make a difference if I used a 1GB CF Card?

2. I read in the link you provided that I can use any additional space on the CF Card for other applications. Question: Since I can't use my CF Card anyway, is it best to fill the additional space of the CF with my applications instead of placing them on a share drive on my server?

3. Is there a user's manual for MPlay? If not, how do I get the icons for each movie to appear? Does it have anything to do with the fact that most of my DVD's are in image (.iso) format?

Your assistance is mostly appreciated.

Rodney

Burkhardi

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:47 pm

silkrod wrote:
Hello Matt,

Thank you very much for that information. That fixed the problem. But now I have a few other questions.

1. I used a 128MB CF Card for my Swap, but when I check system info, it shows that my swap file is only 63MB. Is that the max size that a swap file can be? Would it make a difference if I used a 1GB CF Card?

2. I read in the link you provided that I can use any additional space on the CF Card for other applications. Question: Since I can't use my CF Card anyway, is it best to fill the additional space of the CF with my applications instead of placing them on a share drive on my server?

3. Is there a user's manual for MPlay? If not, how do I get the icons for each movie to appear? Does it have anything to do with the fact that most of my DVD's are in image (.iso) format?

Rodney

Hi Rodney,
#1 With the swap file set to that size, it equals the same as a REV-B. On both units, some of the memory is allocated for video. I want to say a REV-B shows 92MB, so with the ~63MB and the onbard ~28, it's close. Even with a one 1GB card it would be the same, the swap file sized is called out in the swap script.
#2 I really don't think it matters, I keep mine on network shares for both REV-A and REV-B untis.
#3 is best left to dgburns since he uses mPlay. I just use SlimRoku.

Let me know if you have more quetions. Check your PM, Matt

dgburns

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
silkrod wrote:
Hello Matt,

Rodney

Hi Rodney,
#1 With the swap file set to that size, it equals the same as a REV-B. On both units, some of the memory is allocated for video. I want to say a REV-B shows 92MB, so with the ~63MB and the onbard ~28, it's close. Even with a one 1GB card it would be the same, the swap file sized is called out in the swap script.
#2 I really don't think it matters, I keep mine on network shares for both REV-A and REV-B untis.
#3 is best left to dgburns since he uses mPlay. I just use SlimRoku.

Let me know if you have more quetions. Check your PM, Matt

#1 I've seen no evidence that any bigger of a "swap file" is of any benefit.
#2 Well, you COULD put MPlay (and other apps) on the CF.
#3 Check out the MPlay FAQ: http://www.permanence.com/Roku/forums/d ... topics&f=3

HTH!
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

silkrod

Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:51 am

rodlwatson wrote:
dgburns wrote:
I use my PB's primarily for watching HD movies and TV episodes I missed that are stored on my "Video" server.

My cable company sucks in what channels they offer so I also obtain a lot of HD music videos and watch them on the PB. Ah, if only MPlay had a "random" feature, where I could point it at a folder and it would randomly playback video files that were stored in that folder. I could leave it running 24/7 and just add/remove clips from the folder via my PC at will. Almost like having my own private MTV without the commercials!

Hello Dgburns,
I have a PB and haven't used it much at all. I just recently installed a windows home server on my network and now I want to stream video to my PB. I plan to rip all my DVDs to my server. All of my video files currently are image (.iso) files taken from standard DVDs using DVD Shrink. Can you tell me what I need to do to get started? How are you streaming your videos and where do you get your HD videos from?
Thanks,
SilkRod

Hello Dgburns,

I've got MPlay up and running, but now I need your assistance in setting it up properly. I am just amazed at the quality of picture that I'm getting across my network. Is there a user's manual for MPlay? If not, how do I get the icons and information for each movie to appear? Does it have anything to do with the fact that my DVD's are in image (.iso) format?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Rodney

S80_UK

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:44 am

Hi,

Most of what you need is in the MPlay FAQ pages.

For example re cover art...

http://www.permanence.com/Roku/forums/d ... ind=unread

Most of the basic MPlay documentation is here...

http://www.permanence.com/mplay/

Good Luck.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

Mon1018

Thu May 22, 2008 3:08 am

I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

Bron

Just got here...

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Mon1018 wrote:
I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

Well, am I late to the party or what? Just bought my first PhotoBridge off eBay. Not here yet. It's a Rev. A. with a new power supply. Paid $100 and hoping it will prove worth it.

I got the Rokue Netflix player and while browsing the forums here became intrigued with the HD1000 - even though it's fairly old now, its capabilities still seem pretty good - especially for playing HD mpeg. So, we'll see.

Also picked up a new M1001. I still have 3 active ReplayTV's (and 3 older models in the closet) and love them. So I'm gung-ho Roku, I guess.

The Roku Netflix player is awesome, btw, for $100 and I highly recommend it. It has exceeded my expectations, which is quite rare!

Cheers and thanks to everyone who has posted all the good info here on the HD1000.

SEM

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Well folks, I just sold my last Roku. It's replacement is the Popcorn Hour A100 and I'll probably get a 110 shortly.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/
http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

My application is, for the most part, playing archived DVDs, archived DVB-S and ATSC HD recordings as well as live HTTP TS from satellite receiver cards.

It's big advantages over the Roku:

-Plays ISO images
-Plays MPEG2, H.264 and many other formats HD content
-UPnP support
-Has HDMI output
-Supports an internal hard drive
-Plays SMB shares at over 30Mb/s
-Plays 57mb/s HD TS streams which have been moved to it's internal hard drive.
-Displays web pages
-Plays MP3 streams (internet radio) referenced in those web pages
-and much more.

It is very much in it's infancy in terms of 3rd party software support and the unit is not without its quirks. Overall, it was good enough so that I felt comfortable selling my HD1Ks while they still had -some- resale value.

Steve

Burkhardi

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Does it play .ISO as good as the HD1000 with mPlay (both in quality and ease of use with the DVD cover art)?

Is it open source (like the HD1000) for 3rd party apps?

SEM wrote:
Well folks, I just sold my last Roku. It's replacement is the Popcorn Hour A100 and I'll probably get a 110 shortly.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/
http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

My application is, for the most part, playing archived DVDs, archived DVB-S and ATSC HD recordings as well as live HTTP TS from satellite receiver cards.

It's big advantages over the Roku:

-Plays ISO images
-Plays MPEG2, H.264 and many other formats HD content
-UPnP support
-Has HDMI output
-Supports an internal hard drive
-Plays SMB shares at over 30Mb/s
-Plays 57mb/s HD TS streams which have been moved to it's internal hard drive.
-Displays web pages
-Plays MP3 streams (internet radio) referenced in those web pages
-and much more.

It is very much in it's infancy in terms of 3rd party software support and the unit is not without its quirks. Overall, it was good enough so that I felt comfortable selling my HD1Ks while they still had -some- resale value.

Steve