Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jm_maclaren

Re: Just got here...

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:28 pm

Bron wrote:
Mon1018 wrote:
I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

Well, am I late to the party or what? Just bought my first PhotoBridge off eBay. Not here yet. It's a Rev. A. with a new power supply. Paid $100 and hoping it will prove worth it.

I got the Rokue Netflix player and while browsing the forums here became intrigued with the HD1000 - even though it's fairly old now, its capabilities still seem pretty good - especially for playing HD mpeg. So, we'll see.

Also picked up a new M1001. I still have 3 active ReplayTV's (and 3 older models in the closet) and love them. So I'm gung-ho Roku, I guess.

The Roku Netflix player is awesome, btw, for $100 and I highly recommend it. It has exceeded my expectations, which is quite rare!

Cheers and thanks to everyone who has posted all the good info here on the HD1000.

Welcome.
I still use mine a lot. Mythroku is very cool (even if I say so myself) and I watched the saints beat the buccaneers using tvplay yesterday!

This forum has slowed down a lot and there isn;t too much new development. I update mythroku if and when something is needed.

James

SEM

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm

It plays ISO very well with it's native player. As stated in my post, the PH has not progressed very far yet in terms of 3rd party support. There are some cover art options available however. Yes, it is open source. It would be really cool if the authors of Mplay could look at PH as a possible next step. The PH wiki and their forums is probably the best place to ask further questions. My applications, as stated below, are pretty narrow. I certainly can't argue with the price I paid in taking a chance on this unit and I was pleasantly surprised.

Steve

Burkhardi wrote:
Does it play .ISO as good as the HD1000 with mPlay (both in quality and ease of use with the DVD cover art)?

Is it open source (like the HD1000) for 3rd party apps?

SEM wrote:
Well folks, I just sold my last Roku. It's replacement is the Popcorn Hour A100 and I'll probably get a 110 shortly.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/
http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

My application is, for the most part, playing archived DVDs, archived DVB-S and ATSC HD recordings as well as live HTTP TS from satellite receiver cards.

It's big advantages over the Roku:

-Plays ISO images
-Plays MPEG2, H.264 and many other formats HD content
-UPnP support
-Has HDMI output
-Supports an internal hard drive
-Plays SMB shares at over 30Mb/s
-Plays 57mb/s HD TS streams which have been moved to it's internal hard drive.
-Displays web pages
-Plays MP3 streams (internet radio) referenced in those web pages
-and much more.

It is very much in it's infancy in terms of 3rd party software support and the unit is not without its quirks. Overall, it was good enough so that I felt comfortable selling my HD1Ks while they still had -some- resale value.

Steve

Bron

Re: Just got here...

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:05 pm

jm_maclaren wrote:
Bron wrote:
Mon1018 wrote:
I would still buy another PhotoBridge.

Well, am I late to the party or what? Just bought my first PhotoBridge off eBay. Not here yet. It's a Rev. A. with a new power supply. Paid $100 and hoping it will prove worth it.

I got the Rokue Netflix player and while browsing the forums here became intrigued with the HD1000 - even though it's fairly old now, its capabilities still seem pretty good - especially for playing HD mpeg. So, we'll see.

Also picked up a new M1001. I still have 3 active ReplayTV's (and 3 older models in the closet) and love them. So I'm gung-ho Roku, I guess.

The Roku Netflix player is awesome, btw, for $100 and I highly recommend it. It has exceeded my expectations, which is quite rare!

Cheers and thanks to everyone who has posted all the good info here on the HD1000.

Welcome.
I still use mine a lot. Mythroku is very cool (even if I say so myself) and I watched the saints beat the buccaneers using tvplay yesterday!

This forum has slowed down a lot and there isn;t too much new development. I update mythroku if and when something is needed.

James

Thanks, James! I almost got a myth-based HTPC a year or so back, but the small company building the PC's folded. My PC building days are past me, just don't have the time and it's almost not worth it cost-wise any more. But I still like to fool around with hi-tech gizmos. ;)

So after I get comfortable with my HD1000, I may give it a try. It's very interesting to me that the HD1000 has had a fairly good (from what I've read) HD capability for so many years and yet it's hard to come by (at a reasonable price) elsewhere. So it should be lots of fun.

I do a lot of photography, so that part alone makes it a worhtwhile purchase for me. But if I can watch Hi-Res videos, too, so much the better!

Thanks for the welcome!

Bron

stephenmkane

Re: Would you buy a used HD1000 now or look for something else?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 am

I know this is an old thread, but the topic seems right for my question:

I've just set up a NAS on my network for backup. It also includes a UPnP ,DNLA compliant server. I thought I might use the NAS to play lossless music (crucial), and view pictures, without running the computer. So, how easy is it to set the HD 1000 to run files directly from the NAS server? Is there software built-in or downloadable that would make it easy to browse my music collection, and/or build playlists, by artist, album,genre, etc? What lossless formats are playable? Oh, also I'd prefer to connect wirelessly, my network includes 802.11n - WPA-2.

I just stumbled in here as this would be my first networked media player - I vaguely remembered that Soundbridge was well-respected, but the Photobridge was the closest thing I could find now.
Thanks to anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Steve

Burkhardi

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:24 am

stephenmkane wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but the topic seems right for my question:

I've just set up a NAS on my network for backup. It also includes a UPnP ,DNLA compliant server. I thought I might use the NAS to play lossless music (crucial), and view pictures, without running the computer. So, how easy is it to set the HD 1000 to run files directly from the NAS server? Is there software built-in or downloadable that would make it easy to browse my music collection, and/or build playlists, by artist, album,genre, etc? What lossless formats are playable? Oh, also I'd prefer to connect wirelessly, my network includes 802.11n - WPA-2.

I just stumbled in here as this would be my first networked media player - I vaguely remembered that Soundbridge was well-respected, but the Photobridge was the closest thing I could find now.
Thanks to anyone who could point me in the right direction.

Steve

It should all be doable.
HD1000 connected via Ethernet Bridge (aka gaming adaptor). Then share your folders on your NAS (it does not need a server (i.e. UPnP DLNA etc).
Then use SLimRoku and mPlay
I am running a Linux Box (CentOS) with my Photobridge and it works like a champ!
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

soiaf

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

stephenmkane wrote:

I use my PhotoBridge with a NAS system. I don't use UPnP as such, as UPnP on the PhotoBridge can be a bit hit-and-miss (doesn't work with some UPnP solutions), but sharing files using Windows Networking/SMB works great.
If you want to playback lossless music, you'll need to install a plugin for the particular format, but this is a really straightforward once-off operation.
With plugins the PhotoBridge supports the following lossless formats: WavPack, FLAC, Shorten, TTA, Apple Lossless and APE (so pretty much them all except WMA lossless).
For actually playing back music theres a built-in music player (but this is very simple), alternatively there is also Sonica and MPlay.

stephenmkane

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks Burkhardi and soiaf for your informative replies. Sorry I couldn't return to this board earlier. (Btw was it down the last few days?) I'll still have to research some of your suggested solutions, but at least now I can get started.

I do have a WLAN client from a networked printer that I could use for the PhotoBridge.
Would SlimRoku require me to install SlimServer (now SqueezeCenter) on the NAS? I'm hoping the PB could just see the shared files on the network, as Burkhardi suggested. I don't really understand linux and would like to avoid as much programming as possible.

Are the plug-ins for the PB software, or would they be included in the added music-player software (MPlay, etc.)?
(And maybe added music-player would require a server?)
Btw soiaf, what is Sonica? I could find no reference.

I've never networked AV before, and I'm starting to think I may have gotten in over my head (I'm afraid you'll wholeheartedly agree). If I can't figure this out, maybe I'll just add a hard-drive to a retired laptop and wire it directly to my stereo - but this seems an inelegant solution (Or?)

Thanks again for your generous advice.

Steve