Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

playback.tv
Topic Author

Converting from Quicktime???

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 pm

does anyone know how to convert from a quicktime to mpeg2? I've tried using ffmpeg but it doesn't recognize the qt files (ntsc dv). I'm shooting my own footage and trying to play it back using the Roku, but I can't seem to find the flavor of mpeg-2. I've even burned a dvd, and used the video file and although the Roku can see the file over LAN it comes nowhere close to actually playing it.
tx. :shock:

dgburns

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 am

Convert on what kind of PC?

I use VLC (www.videolan.org). It seems to play anything (on my PC), and can be set to "stream" output to a Transport Stream file.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

playback.tv
Topic Author

qt conversion

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:34 am

to be more specific, i am attempting to convert QT files on a mac (my own video), for playback, locally on the ROKU from high speed CF. I think that if I get my bit rate low enough (3600?), I should be able to play clips from CF, HD clips at that. Problem is I can't figure out what sort of mpeg-2 the ROKU likes. I also have a network setup with media shares all working and i've done many tests browsing files, again my mpegs won't play. I think this is an encoding problem, so I'm wondering what are the best ways to encode QT files for ROKU.

tx.

dgburns

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Try it.

You need either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video in order for the ROKu to play it.

Search the forum here for more details on particulars for VLC configuration to make working files for the Roku.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-h ... to-en.html

You can play with setting up VLC to stream the QT to your Roku. I just haven't done so as I prefer transcoding them offline and then sit back in front of the TV and watch a bunch of transcoded videos in one sitting.

If you don't want to mess with transcoding, you can try setting up a UPnP server on your Mac and point it to where your QT media is located, then connect to that UPnP server using the MPlay app on the Roku. Maybe someone who has done this can offer some tips, I don't have a Mac so not familiar with UPnP stuff for it.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

playback.tv
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:04 pm

thanks for the advice, i've downloaded vlc, and i'm going to give a shot.
cheers.