Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JonnyG
Topic Author

Roku Photobridge HD1000 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:09 am

After being offered a HD1000 for a reasonable price, I thought I would check out what the user community had to say about it first.

A quick look at these forums has left me undecided as to whether it would be a good purchase. My key concern is the 2.0 software which still appears to be an unfinished "Beta" with no plans to finalise.

Roku has been very sucessfull with their Soundbridge product line (I own 4 x M1001's). However, this seems to be reversed given the negtivity surrounding the Photobridge.

Without me trawling through the threads in this forum, can somebody summarise what problems I may face should I purchase the unit?

I plan to wire the unit up to my network so that I can browse photo's shared from a networked pc. It would be nice if I were able to access my music library that serves my Roku M1001 units also. Can it display album art?

Jon

Burkhardi

Re: Roku Photobridge HD1000 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:33 am

The HD1000 should fit the bill perfectly!
Is it a REV-A or REV-B (REV-B will say so on the bottom on the sticker that has the model number and serial number) you are buying?
THe "beta" firmware is pretty darm stable, I run 2.0.35 and consider it to be non-beta. My wife and I use the flower out of our HD1000's.
SlimRoku is a great appliction that can show album art, but it requires you to run Slim Server on a PC. There is another application that can show album art and it runs off the build in player. You will love the card readers on the front, so nice to pull out a memory card from a camera and have the HD1000 play it right there. The built in photo app has a nice zoom feature and display feature. If the price is right, I would hop on it. Some units have power supply issues, but its fixable. I also don't think it will work with WMC 2.0 or the one embeded in WMP11.
Hope this was helpful, Matt

JonnyG wrote:
After being offered a HD1000 for a reasonable price, I thought I would check out what the user community had to say about it first.

A quick look at these forums has left me undecided as to whether it would be a good purchase. My key concern is the 2.0 software which still appears to be an unfinished "Beta" with no plans to finalise.

Roku has been very sucessfull with their Soundbridge product line (I own 4 x M1001's). However, this seems to be reversed given the negtivity surrounding the Photobridge.

Without me trawling through the threads in this forum, can somebody summarise what problems I may face should I purchase the unit?

I plan to wire the unit up to my network so that I can browse photo's shared from a networked pc. It would be nice if I were able to access my music library that serves my Roku M1001 units also. Can it display album art?

Jon
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

dgburns

Re: Roku Photobridge HD1000 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:11 am

JonnyG wrote:

THE BIGGEST problem with the Photobridge is the unreliable power supply. That can be fixed (as Matt pointed out) 3rd party, and you should factor the cost of doing that into your purchase decision as it WILL fail.

The manufacturer has in essence orphaned the product. There is ZERO participation other than continuing to host these forums. ANd they refuse to release/sell the source code so that someone else could pick up development.

I too run the 2.0.35 firmware and consider it non beta. I guess we have to, there will never be another firmware release from Roku.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

RhodesRunner

For all its abandonment issues, it still rocks!

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:37 am

Just echoing the comments that have already been posted.

It'll do everything you've said you want to do, and more. Even though Roku left it an orphan, the user community has stepped up to the plate and extended its usefulness in all kinds of directions with 3rd party applications.

I'm running the beta OS on a Rev B system, and its been very stable and reliable over the past 2 years (until the power supply gave up last night - I'ts being shippsed out today for repairs). The power supply can be addressed (www.pyramid-audio.com) at reasonable cost, and from what I've seen thus far, there's still nothing in the marketplace that delivers everything that the HD1000 does.

I use SlimRoku (combined with PC-resident SlimServer software), and sometimes Sonica (which doesn't require a PC server), to stream music from my network hard drive, and the photo viewing app is a great compliment allowing you to easily view stored photos on your HD screen as well - the zoom feature makes photo viewing the most powerful interface for photos I can imagine without dedicated hardware. Other 3rd party apps like VNC, WeatherSix, and LiveSpy just make this box even more useful and fun to have around! And you'll find the community on this forum to be very helpful with any issues you may encounter.

Mark