Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Syndil
Topic Author

FOR PETE'S SAKE, BRING BACK THE PHOTOBRIDGE!

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:33 am

Roku, you're sitting on a gold mine. The demand for a suitable replacement for the HD1000/HD1500 is out there, waiting.

That's all I have to say.

igleaner

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:11 pm

Agreed! While the Photobridge was initially ahead of its time and not well marketed or understood, the time is now ripe for a floodgate of users out there to get their hands on this device.

All the new devices of late, like the Linksys DMA2200, rely on Windows Vista to operate, but most of us still prefer Windows XP and are unwilling to upgrade our operating systems.

All the Roku needs is an improved power supply and a built in "n" speed wireless networking interface and you have a clear cut winner. With the right advertising and placement in big box stores, you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock!

I don't understand the missed opportunity and sales strategy of Roku. Why have just a Soundbridge, when you can have sound and video as well with the Photobridge?

Someone at Roku is asleep at the switch and needs to have their head examined.

S80_UK

Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:25 am

igleaner wrote:
All the Roku needs is an improved power supply and a built in "n" speed wireless networking interface and you have a clear cut winner. With the right advertising and placement in big box stores, you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock!

Not quite - support for HDMI would be a must before most retailers would consider the product. Also, the video codec support for the old PhotoBridge was very limited compared to current market requirements. That would need a major overhaul. Audio codecs too. Then of course the hardware would need to be redesigned to use parts available today...

I too would love to see a modern replacement for the PB from Roku, but it's quite a challenge
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

Burkhardi

Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:28 am

S80_UK wrote:
igleaner wrote:

Not quite - support for HDMI would be a must before most retailers would consider the product. Also, the video codec support for the old PhotoBridge was very limited compared to current market requirements. That would need a major overhaul. Audio codecs too. Then of course the hardware would need to be redesigned to use parts available today...

I too would love to see a modern replacement for the PB from Roku, but it's quite a challenge

I read this last night, and was going to reply with the exact words...LOL
Ditto, Matt
Also, in regards to Codec support, if it were not for Soiaf, we would have been SOL!
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku