Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Gregavi
Topic Author

Playing vob files?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:59 am

I used DVD shrink to burn vob files to my PC. I understand these files need to be altered in order for the PB to play them. Do they? If so, how is this done. mplay? I would appreciate more info on this. Thanks in advance.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Playing vob files?

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:07 am

Gregavi wrote:
I used DVD shrink to burn vob files to my PC. I understand these files need to be altered in order for the PB to play them. Do they? If so, how is this done. mplay? I would appreciate more info on this. Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the MPlay FAQ (http://www.permanence.com/mplay/faq.html), it will explain how to play ripped DVDs in MPlay. Specifically, the question "I've ripped my entire DVD collection, but I can't find a single movie amongst all of these VTS files! Where're are my movies???"

I hope that helps...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jimre

Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:02 pm

Gregavi wrote:

.VOB files are MPEG2 files, so the Roku beta 2.x software should be able to play them. The problem is - the Roku software isn't looking for .VOB extensions, so it doesn't know to play them. All you have to do is rename their extension to .MPG (which of course will screw up all your other *real* DVD player software) and the Roku beta software will play them. Roku has said they will support .VOB file extensions as well as .MPG for the final 2.0 release.

PRMan

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:09 pm

You could create a hard link in Windows 2000 or XP using:

fsutil hardlink create VTS_01_01.VOB Spider-Man1.mpg
fsutil hardlink create VTS_01_02.VOB Spider-Man2.mpg
fsutil hardlink create VTS_01_03.VOB Spider-Man3.mpg
fsutil hardlink create VTS_01_04.VOB Spider-Man4.mpg

This will make it appear that you have 8 files, VTS_01_0x.VOB and Spider-Manx.mpg, all 1GB long or whatever. In reality, though, you only have one set of files (4GB instead of 8GB) with 2 filenames pointed at each of them, making your DVD software still able to find what it needs and Roku being able to find what it needs, but only using the space once.
PRMan

Gregavi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:16 pm

PRMan wrote:

This will make it appear that you have 8 files, VTS_01_0x.VOB and Spider-Manx.mpg, all 1GB long or whatever. In reality, though, you only have one set of files (4GB instead of 8GB) with 2 filenames pointed at each of them, making your DVD software still able to find what it needs and Roku being able to find what it needs, but only using the space once.

I have no idea what that all means. Could you clearify, simplify or go slower, teacher?

Yetimon

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:52 am

Wow -windows has symlinks?? All this time and I never knew! (Or at least, never bothered to look)

Thanks for the tip!
-y

pinoy2

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:20 pm

Gregavi wrote:
PRMan wrote:

I have no idea what that all means. Could you clearify, simplify or go slower, teacher?

Just use Mplay, lot easier. I do and it works great!
Nikon D70 35-70, DELL 670, Dual Xeon, 400 GiG SATA x2 RAID 0, 4 GiG DDR2, nVidia Quadra 128, XP SP2, Snapstream PVR to mpeg2.

DaRamblerman

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:07 am

jimre wrote:
Gregavi wrote:

.VOB files are MPEG2 files, so the Roku beta 2.x software should be able to play them. The problem is - the Roku software isn't looking for .VOB extensions, so it doesn't know to play them. All you have to do is rename their extension to .MPG (which of course will screw up all your other *real* DVD player software) and the Roku beta software will play them. Roku has said they will support .VOB file extensions as well as .MPG for the final 2.0 release.

Well whatever Roku said it will do I reckon they did not. I just bought a Roku ultra to replace my WDTV hat is failing and it will not play VOB files. 

bregent

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 pm

DaRamblerman wrote:
jimre wrote:
Gregavi wrote:

Well whatever Roku said it will do I reckon they did not. I just bought a Roku ultra to replace my WDTV hat is failing and it will not play VOB files. 

But the Roku Ultra is not the Photobridge...

johnkeo

Re:

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:05 pm

pinoy2 wrote:
Gregavi wrote:
PRMan wrote:

This will make it appear that you have 8 files, VTS_01_0x.VOB and Spider-Manx.mpg, all 1GB long or whatever.  In reality, though, you only have one set of files (4GB instead of 8GB) with 2 filenames pointed at each of them, making your DVD software still able to find what it needs and Roku being able to find what it needs, but only using the space once.

Just use Mplay, lot easier. I do and it works great!

thanks for sharing the information and i appreciate it.

character count

marksmith1994d

Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:11 pm

I had the same issue I contact on customer service 18885238333 and they helped me with my issue 18885238333

Thanks